What's everyones favorite shifter?

SRT_2_SVT

Established Member
I have a pro 5.0 on mine. Always used them in the past and my cobra came with it.

Been considering swapping to the MGW but havent done it yet.

Which handle is better to have anyway? Blue or orange?

Which is shorter?

d-nice

Established Member
What makes the MGW so good. Is it easier to shift, more comfortable, better quality etc...? I'm just wondering why exactly everyone likes them. Its better than xxx (Pro 5.0, Tri-ax, hurst) because...

I have driven a Shelby GT with a Hurst shifter and it wasn't the smooth and easy to shift. I also had a Pro-5.0 on my 97 Cobra and it was sometimes hard to go from 2-3 shift. So to me those two would be out.

Last edited:

R3dn3k Flyby

Vivid Racing
Established Member
I believe the different color handles represent the different variations of the MGW over the years. The current one is the orange as far as I know. I got an orange one when I ordered one 7 months ago. Red and blue were not an option.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
What makes the MGW so good. Is it easier to shift, more comfortable, better quality etc...? I'm just wondering why exactly everyone likes them. Its better than xxx (Pro 5.0, Tri-ax, hurst) because...

Smoother, quieter, and better handle position.

SRT_2_SVT

Established Member
I like my pro5.0 alot. I want a MGW after seeing the raving about it but i want the shortest handle! Prob the blue im assuming?

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Red and Blue handles (I forget which one is shorter) were an an option before (Gen 1?). They changed the knurled stub the handle attaches to and made an orange handle as a compromise between the red and blue. But as far as I know, they are NOT interchangable because of the stub differences. Best to call them to find out for sure.

As to why MGW, well, it's a better shifter IMO. I replaced a Tri-Ax with the MGW and now won't go back. Smoother mechanism, adjustable handle (My Tri-Ax had an MGW designed adjustable handle, but ...) and quieter operation. It's a better design and more comfortable design. However, some who have tried both still prefer a Tri-Ax or Pro 5.0. It still boils down to personal preference. I just prefer the MGW. :pop:

waltd20012002

Established Member
^^^ what he said... the Hurst that came in my car felt fairly notchy, and was not very good for the 2-3 shift. i didn't even realize it was a hurst until i yanked it to put in my MGW. its smooth as silk now & 2-3 is perfect..

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Looking to upgrade shifters. i have it narrowed down to either Pro-5.0 or the Steeda Tri-ax. Let's see what everyone recommends.

I recommend the MGW, it comes complete with a very convenient search feature. Once activated it finds all 65,000 threads where this very same question was asked and answered at least 64,999 times

1Quik46

Livin The Dream!
Established Member
Red and Blue handles (I forget which one is shorter) were an an option before (Gen 1?). They changed the knurled stub the handle attaches to and made an orange handle as a compromise between the red and blue. But as far as I know, they are NOT interchangable because of the stub differences. Best to call them to find out for sure.

\

MGW here. Mine came with a Red handle and I ordered the Orange handle just to see what the difference was. So they ARE interchangeable. The orange is just angled more towards the driver.:beer:

20SVT03

Wishin for that KB!
Established Member
Ive only had the tri ax and havent thought about changing it for a second, im sure the mgw is great but there had to be some type of group buy or they gave them away because i have never seen so many people agree on this form like this.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Ive only had the tri ax and havent thought about changing it for a second, im sure the mgw is great but there had to be some type of group buy or they gave them away because i have never seen so many people agree on this form like this.

I don't think there was ever a group buy, at least not that I can remember. but the MGW is the best out there.

For the record I have a MGW and a Pro5.0 I like them both. the MGW is in my 04 the Pro is in my 95. Not going to change either one but would have to give the edge to the MGW

Jroc

Established Member
Driven a couple of Cobras with MGW's and I don't like them.

I much prefer my Tri-Ax and the Pro 5.0 I had on my last Stang to the MGW shifter.

Infact I've never drive a Mustang with a STS that I didn't like better than the MGW shifter. Much of that could be contributed to the fact that the 5-speeds shift nicer than the Cobras T56 though.

If I ever replace my shifter I will go with a Pro 5.0 and use my Tri-Ax handle with it. That is a great combo.

Last edited:

SRT_2_SVT

Established Member
I had the tri-ax in my 98 gt... didnt care for it. Swapped it for a pro5.0 and loved it. Had a pro5.0 in 3 of my fox bodies and bought my 03 cobra with the pro5.0 in it. I love the shifter but im beginning to wonder if im missing out on something with all these people praising the MGW. Lol.

I might buy a used MGW just to try it out but keep my pro5.0 incase i want to switch back. Id want the shortest throw possible though since my pro5.0 is already so short.

Users who are viewing this thread