What's going on with Toyota frames?

Tractorman

Greatest dad; Regional Qualifier
Established Member
I've been noticing for a while that the local Toyota dealer has always had 1 or two brand new truck frames sitting out back. Lately that number has jumped up to 6 or 7. It gradually drops, then they get another pile in. What vehicle is getting them?

I know that older Tacoma's had issues, but wasn't that about 10 years ago? Shouldn't that be over with already?

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Didn’t the Tundra recently have an issue? Like the G Body Shuffle type flex.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Nope, far from over. A guy I work with just had the frame on his Tacoma replaced a few months back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SS EATR

Established Member
They had a recall for the frames and undercarriage parts rusting. I got lucky with mine and only ended up replacing the leaf springs, but a guy I work with has had his Tacoma at the dealership for 3 months and counting and still hasn't gotten the frame replaced. The recall was for the later 2000s trucks I believe but only expired recently, he got his in the week before it did.

fireman02

Established Member
As far as I know 07 and up Tundra frames haven’t had any issues. They did have issues with the 1st gen Tundras and older Tacoma’s.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
Add the Sequoia to that list. Apparently the Dana frames were having issues with the rust proof coating. A buddy at work had his wife’s replaced along with bushings, brakes, lines etc.. Basically a new vehicle now. He sold it afterwards and bought her a new QX80 to replace it.

Last edited:

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Tacomas are great trucks, but man oh man do they rust through frames like a wearable item.

Those trucks will be 30 years old and toyota will still be paying for them.

IA Shelby

Established Member
I have an 07 Tacoma. I just had my frame replaced last month. At least for me I had to have had my truck inspected, approved and parts ordered before Dec 31, 2018 or the offer expired. I did and it took about 6 weeks for the frames to come in. It took the dealer about 5-6 days to complete the work.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Might still be the frame recall from older Tacoma’s? Dealers love those types of recalls. I remember when I worked at Nissan we stocked up on rear subframes for 05-06 Altima’s and would go out of our way to find those year cars that had the recall cause it paid 40 hours to replace and a tech could do it in a day.

blk02edge

Established Member
Tacomas are great trucks, but man oh man do they rust through frames like a wearable item.

Those trucks will be 30 years old and toyota will still be paying for them.
"Great trucks! Just have to do frame replacments..."

Typical toyota comment, couldnt be funnier. Reason people see lots of broken old ford and chevys is because they actually did work rather than haul sutfboards around to different starbucks locations like the average toyota owner :D

Another one I like is when some bone stock taco trd owner comments on my truck they'll tell me how theirs "climbs mountains like this!!" (Then puts their arm in a 90° verticle angle straight up). Cant help but roll my eyes and move on

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member

Typical toyota comment, couldnt be funnier. Reason people see lots of broken old ford and chevys is because they actually did work rather than haul sutfboards around to different starbucks locations like the average toyota owner :D

Another one I like is when some bone stock taco trd owner comments on my truck they'll tell me how theirs "climbs mountains like this!!" (Then puts their arm in a 90° verticle angle straight up). Cant help but roll my eyes and move on

Lol I owned a Tacoma and I own an F-150 now.

The Toyota might rust, but guess which motor eats oil? The Ford.

I love them both, but neither are perfect.

blk02edge

Established Member
Lol I owned a Tacoma and I own an F-150 now.

The Toyota might rust, but guess which motor eats oil? The Ford.

I love them both, but neither are perfect.
Ford eats oil, toyota frames rust out... Yet the ford is junk and the taco is legendary?? Lol gotta be a joke. Sadly, I know it isnt lol. The Taco and 4runner are great looking vehicles, sure as hell look betyer than the new ranger/Explorer but I just cant understand the toyota hype. Its literally just hype

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Ford eats oil, toyota frames rust out... Yet the ford is junk and the taco is legendary?? Lol gotta be a joke. Sadly, I know it isnt lol. The Taco and 4runner are great looking vehicles, sure as hell look betyer than the new ranger/Explorer but I just cant understand the toyota hype. Its literally just hype
No, their reputation for reliability was well earned. While they didnt make a ton of power, Toyota's in the late 70's 80's and 90's are on another level of reliable.

I agree completely that frame issues are unacceptable, but show me a manufacturer that will stand behind their product and reputation like Toyota. Ok, they needed some legal prodding I give you that. But they are replacing entire frames on vehicles that are decades old now.

The resale hype on Toyota's, now thats just absurd.

I admit, Im a little biased (see my user name). Though, I own 3 Fords... so IDK haha

blk02edge

Established Member
No, their reputation for reliability was well earned. While they didnt make a ton of power, Toyota's in the late 70's 80's and 90's are on another level of reliable.

I agree completely that frame issues are unacceptable, but show me a manufacturer that will stand behind their product and reputation like Toyota. Ok, they needed some legal prodding I give you that. But they are replacing entire frames on vehicles that are decades old now.

The resale hype on Toyota's, now thats just absurd.

I admit, Im a little biased (see my user name). Though, I own 3 Fords... so IDK haha
Im just saying, I have seen plenty of toyotas old and new that are issue riddled with unhappy owners who just cant seem to admit it.

22re for example, reliable? Fine... It makes as much power as a riding mower... The 3.0... Still dead nuts slow and blows head gaskets like 6.0 fords and pretty much all toyotas from the 90s are rickety rust buckets like any other vehicle can be. Its hype from my own personal experience. My buddy just sold his 2006 FX4 level 2 ranger that he bought 9 years ago for a 3k profit. He never had a single issue with that truck, tons of people with similar stories yet ford has this nagging reputation online of being that absolute worst reliable auto maker on the planet.. Herd opinions

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I like Toyota. It is not perfect, but a great product. I have also loved my Chevy and Ford products.

All vehicles have “issues”.

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
I'm one of the recipients of this QUIET Rusty-Frame recall.... 2004 2wd Regular-Cab/Short-Bed

Got all new chassis-frame, leaf-springs, Lower control arms, new brake lines, rear ABS components, front bumper components, power-steering tubing, clutch tubing, and brake-line tubing.... except they re-used the rusty gas-tank straps, rusty motor & trany mount/bushings, and the rusty spare-tire brackets.

If I had known, I would have paid for both new trans & engine mount bushings/brackets.

But I supplied the Toyota dealer with new tie-rod ends, upper control arms, upper & lower radiator hoses, and Emissions Canister [that sits on top of the gas tank] which initially refused.

They wanted me to go thru them [Toyota Dealer] for these parts at FULL RETAIL and as usual refused to "price-match" when I had sourced them way cheaper [even w/ shipping costs].

But I wanted in writing they were going to offer a warranty or guarantee with year or mileage, that's when they backed off & used my sourced parts.

Last edited:

My94GT

Established Member

The reality is they all rust out though. I’ve seen countless Ford/Chevy/ram products through the shop that the frame was a rusted piece of scrap.

At least Toyota is stepping up and taking care of their customers. Oh an no bias here as I currently own a ram, and had a tundra, Tacoma, F150, S10 previous. I’m just a truck fan in general for a DD.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
The reality is they all rust out though. I’ve seen countless Ford/Chevy/ram products through the shop that the frame was a rusted piece of scrap.

At least Toyota is stepping up and taking care of their customers. Oh an no bias here as I currently own a ram, and had a tundra, Tacoma, F150, S10 previous. I’m just a truck fan in general for a DD.

Very much agree with you. Vehicles (all brands) are a wearable item.

Im just happy and thankful to have one.

Users who are viewing this thread