What's my car worth?

Spade

Established Member
Car info is in my sig. She has 21k miles and is in very good condition. The problem is I blew a headgasket(s) when the car overheated and repairing it is not a priority. On the other hand I do not want it to sit there for a year plus before getting fixed.

Looking for a fair price to ask for the car?

- Spade

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
I've seen one locally sell recently, that had issues (not as complicated as a head gasket) with 26k miles and it sold of 15k.

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
i would start at 16k and see what happens
I would say your car is worth low 20's (21-22) in perfect running condition... but with the mechanical issues your going to have to find a special buyer. i think its going to be difficult to sell since there are better options for buyers currently.... though u might find someone with a LOW enough price. I wouldnt pay 15k for a car with motor issues thats the heart of the car.... but that's just me. Idc what u say is wrong with it as a buyer i have to fix it and there is always something else wrong.... which cost money.

I suggest having it fixed and selling it in optimal running condition. u wont lose a ton of money that way.

if losing 7-10k is an option for you.. a mechanic will pick it up fix it and probably sell it and make some money off your car.
Good luck with your sale

Spade

Established Member
The shops I spoke with costs ranged from 1600-1900 for a headgasket job. That would include check and machining the heads. I understand there are extra costs that could pop up.

L&M in Hatsboro PA quoted me a price of 1800, worse case senerio a motor rebuild 3500.

Last edited:

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
so as a buyer i would need something to draw me to buying your car... thats going to be price if your going to ask 18k why go through all the work on the buyers end if im not saving any money cause i would say its gong to cost 3500 plus some if i was trying to buy your car.

for 16k im saving 2k buying your car i might think about it. but again I wouldnt buy it but someone else may....

honestly keep it, get it fixed and sell it for 21-22k. thats the best decision financially i can see for you. so u invest 2k in it and come out with 19 to 20k in the end.

why do u want to sell it?
can you afford to have it fixed?
a little more info would help.

The shops I spokes with cost ranged from 1600-1900. For a headgasket job. That would include check and machining the heads. I understand there are extras cost the could pop up.

L&M in Hatsboro PA quoted me a price of 1800, worse case senerio a motor rebuild 3500.

from this message i can see you have though about fixing it. whats stopping you?
if you dont want to fix it i would suggest 16k and see what happens or start higher and see if you get anyone to call. the worst thing is it doesn't sell right way
if you want it gone in the next month just lower the price

Spade

Established Member
I totally get what you're saying and absolutely agree with you. Prior to posting this i was explaining that to my wife. As for selling the car, we do not want to but the money to fix it could be used for the house rather than a "toy".

Last edited:

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
I totally understand but, if your going to sell it get the most out of it you can. more money for the the "House" in the end
good luck with your sale and explaining to your wife.
hope it all works out for you

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
What people are saying is if you invest 2k now when you sell it you will be able to make up that 2k plus pocket an additional 2k.

lescok

Established Member
L&M said rebuild for 3500 that's unheard of better get that in writing you might've heard them wrong. I'd say it's worth 15k as it sits.

badjuicedgt

Established Member
I think you should get the car fixed so you don't take a bath on it, if a rebuild will cost even 5k and cars with the same miles are being sold in the mid 20s you should get 20 out of yours.But you see what others are saying its worth guys still get 15k for cars with 100k on them,low mile cobras in the low o mid 20k range don't last long on the market.Look at how many adds there are on this site of people looking for low mile cars.So if you want to get what the car is worth fix it and then sell it,if not your going to get guys that only want to give you 15k.

Spade

Established Member
I looked over my notes I took when calling around and the price L&M gave me was $3600ish with me handing over just the motor. If I gave them the car for them to remove the motor I assume I could add another $1k-1200 minimum. Mike also implied that was a basic rebuild. Sorry for being so unclear. Just come off a night shift when I made the thread.

dom418

Established Member
I would fix it. Cars with issues have a much more limited market as buyers are fearful there may be other issues.

Get it fixed and sell it for $23k

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I agree with others....fix it, then sell it

But...and sorry if this has already been mentioned...I'd want a compression/leakdown to make sure there's no lower end issues and a head gasket is truly the only issue...otherwise, fix money could get "BIG"

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
jmo, but that is a lot of work, and who knows what issues might come up. I would think as it sits now it is like in the 12-14 range or even less. as was mentioned, the market for a car like this is really limited to a specific kind of buyer

funmoneypit

Established Member
jmo, but that is a lot of work, and who knows what issues might come up. I would think as it sits now it is like in the 12-14 range or even less. as was mentioned, the market for a car like this is really limited to a specific kind of buyer

I would have to agree with this estimate. The car overheated, there could be other problems found. That would be all I would be willing to pay and I can do the work myself. You might sit on the car for some time waiting for the right person.

As has been said, get it fixed and you will actually make more.

Good luck whichever way you decide to go.

50stangpower

Established Member
12-14 tops. No one would tAkers that risk without the reward. Also every car I have bought with problems always ends up a "worst case" or more! What you think is headgaskets.... could be alot worse.

badjuicedgt

Established Member
Please don't sell this car for 12-14k you cant even get a 100k mile car for that,fix the car then sell it even in worst case if it would need a new motor which I highly doubt there is a complete drive train out of an 03 on ebay for 9k and it includes computer fuel system guage cluster and a warranty or take the 9k and rebuild your motor and make it a stroker and then sell the car for 30k with the new motor.Or just do the basic rebuild for 3k and then sell the car for 23k but if you decide you want to off the car and you do wanna sell it for 12k let me know ill take it rebuild yours and sell mine and keep the lower mile car.

Svtmustang01

Established Member
Please don't sell this car for 12-14k you cant even get a 100k mile car for that,fix the car then sell it even in worst case if it would need a new motor which I highly doubt there is a complete drive train out of an 03 on ebay for 9k and it includes computer fuel system guage cluster and a warranty or take the 9k and rebuild your motor and make it a stroker and then sell the car for 30k with the new motor.Or just do the basic rebuild for 3k and then sell the car for 23k but if you decide you want to off the car and you do wanna sell it for 12k let me know ill take it rebuild yours and sell mine and keep the lower mile car.

Stroking the engine is not going to magically add 9 grand to the price. Optimally the car would be as stock as possible for the most money. You can buy a motor and trans off ebay but then its not numbers matching and you have a higher mileage setup plus decent amount of labor still. Id find a shop and have the headgasket re done. I doubt any damage was done to overheating unless it was beyond extensive or ran for a long period of time. Id say fair price for the car is 15k, and would be a premium for a car with a hurt engine. Not much meat on the bone for the 2nd guy.

Or get a buddy who knows what he is doing and a case of beer and have it in and out in a weekend.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread