What's the best clear coat?

bobby_0081

Established Member
I am looking for the best clear coat that will withstand rock chips, UV damage, and most other stuff you throw at it. With all the advancements in paint technology it would seem that there would be something out there that was nearly indestructible. Any paint and body guys have any ideas? I used some Napa stuff that looked great when I painted my Terminator hood and now just two years later it looks like crap.

bobby_0081

Established Member

jbrown1238

Built on 4-7-03 @ 3:47:15
Established Member
After the repaint, I'd put on a clear bra.

I would agree even though I don't really like the clear bra. No clear coat is going to hold up to rock chips. You can try to avoid following close behind vehicles and give yourself a little more space. This will reduce a lot of the normal "rash". I like PPG paint products, Deltron being the best in this line. The PPG Deltron Concept clear is pretty strong and has very good UV protection. The PPG Shop Line product line is also good and is what I have been using for the past few years. I changed over when the cost of Deltron went through the roof. As much as I don't like the clear bra it is what I am going to use on the V8 Ranger when it hits the road.

DSC08260_zps3e98da7c.jpg

DSC08261_zpsea8a2e5b.jpg

Last edited:

TheGovernment

Established Member
Every decent paint line will have good clear. PPG, Dupont, Sikkens, HOC, Spies/Hecker etc. I've been spraying for the last 17 years at a GM dealership and have used most every paint line (not ever pain in the line but most) through the years. I've been pretty happy with Dupont and PPG ( although I haven't sprayed ppg in about 8 years and at that time, Deltron was only slightly better than Omni..... which was garbage back then lol) I'm sure it's changed since then, we used PPG Global at the time.

I've been spraying Dupont Cromax Water for the last 7-8 years and love it, clear is 8300 and 8700 on completes. I don;t think there is any one "best" clear on the market, just what people get used to spraying. Heck, I used to use Nason clear, which was the crappiest of the crap and I got pretty good at spraying it, even though it was like spraying water lol.

Just get something from the big 4 and you'll be fine.

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
Most of the shops around central texas use Spies, PPG, Sikkens, and Dupont. They all rock chip about the same in my opinion. Use good quality materials and don't drive close behind people on the highway and you will limit the amount of rock chips you get but you will still get rock chips eventually if you drive the car. only real protection will be clear bra as others have said.

Hurrycanestang

Established Member
I would agree even though I don't really like the clear bra. No clear coat is going to hold up to rock chips. You can try to avoid following close behind vehicles and give yourself a little more space. This will reduce a lot of the normal "rash". I like PPG paint products, Deltron being the best in this line. The PPG Deltron Concept clear is pretty strong and has very good UV protection. The PPG Shop Line product line is also good and is what I have been using for the past few years. I changed over when the cost of Deltron went through the roof. As much as I don't like the clear bra it is what I am going to use on the V8 Ranger when it hits the road.

DSC08260_zps3e98da7c.jpg

DSC08261_zpsea8a2e5b.jpg

Man! I forgot all about this build, where did the thread go? :-( Sorry to thread jack, where were we? Clear coats, clear bras, push-up bras, yaddah yaddah yaddah lol

jbrown1238

Built on 4-7-03 @ 3:47:15
Established Member
Man! I forgot all about this build, where did the thread go? :-( Sorry to thread jack, where were we? Clear coats, clear bras, push-up bras, yaddah yaddah yaddah lol

It is still around, progress has slowed a bit as other things around the house have taken priority for the moment. Sorry about the high jack. We were talking about clearcoats. My vote goes for the PPG but most of the urethane clears are pretty good.

Andrew97Cobra

Established Member
Does anyone have any good or bad experience with water based base coats and clears? I will be repainting the front bumper along with some ground effects on my daily driver and I was just wondering about this option. I will be doing all the work in my garage and not in a paint booth.

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
Does anyone have any good or bad experience with water based base coats and clears? I will be repainting the front bumper along with some ground effects on my daily driver and I was just wondering about this option. I will be doing all the work in my garage and not in a paint booth.

I would not use waterborne if you are in the garage painting. stick with the non waterborne base and clear and save your self the added expense and headaches.

coachL

Established Member
Lesonal u tech high solids clear , good price and very good uv protection

Users who are viewing this thread