What's this noise from

Danno44

Squatchin
Established Member
My alternator made a very similar sound as it was going out. Did you try pulling the belt and turning the snout and all the pullies including alt to see if you could isolate it?

mustangmike01

Established Member
its one of the 100mm BilletFlow pulleys. the others do not sound to great either. they only have 12k on them. Before I buy new BilletFlow pulleys once did anybody else have this problem with them?

mustangmike01

Established Member
I replaced all 4 bearings. I got them from them, I figured they would work better. Put the new bearings in and a new belt. It was great for about 25 miles then the noise came back and it's louder then before now. The new belt is starting to get all silver marks on it. That has never happend before. The pulleys are silver or what they call clear. Now I have maybe 50 miles on the new bearings. Could they be shout already? I mean what the :fm::cuss:

mi03cobra

Established Member
can you move the s/c pulley back and forth at all while the belt is on? I just responded to another post about like this one in the " termi talk section" and I bet its your lower pulley going to sheeeeit! My car was making a similar sound and the the 3 rubber snubs between the 2 piece lower went out and as a result was metal on metal.

Last edited:

mustangmike01

Established Member
ok well i'll look tonight when I get home. I should not be able to move the belt at all so if it moves at all it could be that lower pulley? I know for a facted one of the billetflow bears where done. the middle one and the others did not feel great so I replaced them all. I'm gettting the same sound when driving or just sittting. The difference now is when I'm driving and let off the gas the sound goes to a high pitched squeal, every time.

mi03cobra

Established Member
If you have a belt on the only thing that keeps it from spinning freely is the pulley connected to the crank, everything else on that belt is accessory or idler pulleys. So, no, that s/c pulley shouldnt move at all if the belt is on and tight. If there is any play I would look into that lower pulley. Theyre a 2 piece set up on the pulley themselves. The belt could be squealing due to the pulley wobbling.

Last edited:

mustangmike01

Established Member
Yep the belt was tight, it would notmove. Took off the belt and tried tomove the crank and I could not. I took off the 4 pulleys and sending them to billetflow. Doug wants to see them. So we will see.

I'm not shore if my pulleys have always been like this or if I put them back on wrong. but I saw I put the small 92mm pulley next to the sc. It's so post to go under the sc. So I'm not shore if it's been like this for the past 13.5k miles or not. When I get the pulleys back and I put them on the right way will it mess up my tune or boots or anything if it was tuned with them beining installed the wrong way from the begining? I can't remember how it was before I took the pulleys off the first time. So it's a 50/50 here. I would think it would not mess it up but you never know.

thanks

mustangmike01

Established Member
Ok replaced all the bearings again and same noise. I then spun each pulley and I found the bad one is the tensioner pulley. its the oem one I have ever changed it. can I just get a oem pulley from ford with out getting the whole arm assembly? and how do I get it off?

SNK-BITE

Established Member
Ok replaced all the bearings again and same noise. I then spun each pulley and I found the bad one is the tensioner pulley. its the oem one I have ever changed it. can I just get a oem pulley from ford with out getting the whole arm assembly? and how do I get it off?

Its only 3 bolts holding the tension'r on. Hit up tousley ford in the vendor section. He can set you up with the tenson'r minus the bridge.

Users who are viewing this thread