What's up with a pulley swap? I was told that the nose of the blower has to come off

Hammer

Established Member
Anyone do this themselves? I drove over to JDM and spoke with Jim directly.

He said that the nose of the blower has to come off in order to put a pulley on. Hmmm... it's got gaskets in there and all the machine oil has to be drained and refilled.

Sounds a little scary to me. Anyone do this yet?

Black Cobra

Established Member
I'm thinking that something got lost in the translation. For just a pulley swap you have to pull the stock pulley off the snout of the blower and press a smaller pulley back on.

Pulley being pulled off:
asp003435a.jpg

Pulley being pressed back on:
asp003435d.jpg

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Hey Black CObra,

What type of pulley puller is that. AN how hard was it to put the smaler pulley on. I ahve ordered my pulley from jdm , but I am not sure who I will have install it. Im in South Florida, If you or anyone else knows who can do a good job with the exchange please let me know. Thank, Black 03

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by Black Cobra
I'm thinking that something got lost in the translation. For just a pulley swap you have to pull the stock pulley off the snout of the blower and press a smaller pulley back on.

I don't think anything was lost in the translation. The only method of changing pullies that is approved by Eaton/Magnuson is removing the blower snout, supporting the bearing surface with a special tool, and using a press to remove and install the pulley. Now, this is how some of the big tuning shops typically do it (JDM, SHM, etc.).

Most of us don't want to screw with that so we use a puller/installer like the one Black Cobra pictured in his post.

If you're careful, you shouldn't have to remove the snout and mess with the oil, etc.. YMMV.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread