Wheel/Spacer/Tire questions?

Boostlag

Darth Vader Status
Established Member
I searched many pages,and couldnt find the answers I was looking for.

1. I plan on mounting nitto 555 285-40-zr17's on some replica 03-04 chrome cobras. I didnt want to go with a 315,because of price reasons,and the fact that my power level isnt high enough to need that type of tire. I want the tires to stick out of the fender just a tiny bit,but nothing crazy. Just an aggressive rwd sports car look. What size spacer should I run?? Im keeping safety in mind as well.

2. With the wheel/tire,and spacer combination,what type of lugnuts do you recommend using?

Thanks!

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
im wanting to do the same i have 295 bfgs out back and they are wide but i still want to use a spacer to stick them out some more it makes the tires look even wider. im wondering if a 1/2 inch slip on spacer is safe to use with stock wheel studs:shrug:

Boostlag

Darth Vader Status
Established Member
im wanting to do the same i have 295 bfgs out back and they are wide but i still want to use a spacer to stick them out some more it makes the tires look even wider. im wondering if a 1/2 inch slip on spacer is safe to use with stock wheel studs:shrug:

I was thinking a 1/2 spacer as well. I just dont want to have lack of threads,and have any type of incident.

totheduals

Established Member
I have 275/40/17 on a 9" wide rim with H&R's 1" wheel spacer. Here's some pics. Hope these help!

IMGP2299.jpg

IMGP2331.jpg

IMGP2305.jpg

totheduals

Established Member
No extended wheel studs here! Put the bolt on TRAK+ Adapters...link http://www.hrsprings.com/products/trak/
Just bolt them on and check them 100 miles after. I put blue loctite on mine and they never moved at all.
Stock lug nuts
This gave me the chance to go back to stock when I get wider wheels!

Last edited:

jbp99cobra

Fly fat ass, fly!!!
Established Member
Get your self 1" H&R spacers and you will be fine. The spacers will come with everything you need. The Nittos will fit fine without even needing a low profile IRS bolt. Nittos don't run too wide... I have a set of Nitto 315's and a set of BFG 315's and the BFG's are a lot wider than the Nittos (these are both on 10.5 wheels).

redrockett

Established Member
Are you guys running the stock studs on the rear and using 1" spacers? We were scared to go over .5 inches because of so little thread on the studs left.

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
Just to call it out, tire rack sells the 315 sumitomo for $99...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compa...=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&RunFlat=All&x=86&y=3

I searched many pages,and couldnt find the answers I was looking for.

1. I plan on mounting nitto 555 285-40-zr17's on some replica 03-04 chrome cobras. I didnt want to go with a 315,because of price reasons,and the fact that my power level isnt high enough to need that type of tire. I want the tires to stick out of the fender just a tiny bit,but nothing crazy. Just an aggressive rwd sports car look. What size spacer should I run?? Im keeping safety in mind as well.

2. With the wheel/tire,and spacer combination,what type of lugnuts do you recommend using?

Thanks!

Boostlag

Darth Vader Status
Established Member
Just to call it out, tire rack sells the 315 sumitomo for $99...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compa...=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&RunFlat=All&x=86&y=3

But is it a good tire though? Ive never heard of anybody really running sumitomos. It would be nice to have a 315,but I dont want something thats not going to hook up any better than my 245 thats on there now.

If I put either the nitto 315s up there,or the sumitomo 315's,will I need the low profile bolt and spacers??

navyht

Established Member
I'm running the 315/35 17r Sumitomo's on 10.5 rims with a 3/8 spacer. I did the longer studs but I'm not sure I needed to. Check the tires rating on Tirerack and you will see the rate pretty good.

m1615

Established Member
do the spacers help the look even with stock tires or does it look like a roller skate?

Boostlag

Darth Vader Status
Established Member
I'm running the 315/35 17r Sumitomo's on 10.5 rims with a 3/8 spacer. I did the longer studs but I'm not sure I needed to. Check the tires rating on Tirerack and you will see the rate pretty good.

so the sumitomo's are an actual good tire? I want the nitto's,but it really wont matter because im not going to be dragging the car like that.

navyht

Established Member
so the sumitomo's are an actual good tire? I want the nitto's,but it really wont matter because im not going to be dragging the car like that.

Just like anything else if you ask you will hear both sides. For the money they are a good tire. I will be getting a set of Nitto's when these wear out but feel I got a good deal with these. Like I said before check the rating on Tirerack and decide if it is something you want.

triplethreat

here are a few of mine

first i had black saleen with 18x10s sumimoto tires 275/35/18 w/ 1.5'' spacer
before spacer
SANY0326.gif

after spacer
SANY0744.gif

then I switched to black cobra reps 17x10.5 w/ 1.5'' spacer
before
SANY1459.gif

after
SANY1504.gif

Boostlag

Darth Vader Status
Established Member
Just like anything else if you ask you will hear both sides. For the money they are a good tire. I will be getting a set of Nitto's when these wear out but feel I got a good deal with these. Like I said before check the rating on Tirerack and decide if it is something you want.

I will probably be picking up the sumitomo's for right now. The nitto's are nice,but im really not doing any type of heavy racing in the winter time,or on the street to need them. At this point I would just be paying for the name,and a little extra performance. Thanks for all your help guys!!

triplethreat

yeah i bought them cause they are cheaper and thats what i can afford vs what i want

i paid $99 for each of the 315 from discoutn tire

Users who are viewing this thread