• Welcome to SVTPerformance!
ATTENTION!
You may experience intermittent issues while accessing the site over the next 60-90 minutes, as we perform maintenance and upgrades.

Wheel Studs

Discussion in 'Open Track Racing' started by Bullitt2655, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Bullitt2655

Bullitt2655 '01 Bullitt Established Member

I recently received 3/8" spacers and Moroso wheel studs ordered from Maximum Motorsports. The Moroso studs state "Do not use with wheel spacers". WTF? Even MM wasn't aware of this on the package.

Does anyone else use these studs?

I think I will just order ARP and return them, but I need them fast!

2. Jack Hidley

Jack Hidley Member Established Member

Of course we are aware of the statement that Moroso makes on their wheel stud packages about them not being suitable with wheel spacers. The statement on the Moroso package is a CYA, so they don't have to be responsible when users install the studs with improperly designed or installed spacers or wheels.

The Moroso stud, or any wheel stud, will work perfectly fine with properly designed wheel spacers and wheels. With properly designed wheels spacers and wheels, there is no change in the tension load on the stud and there is no bending load on the stud. It is the friction in the clamped joint that resists all of the shearing forces. See here for more details:

Mustang Wheel Spacer Tech : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!

3. wheelhopper

wheelhopper Active Member Established Member

I use studs on both my Cobra and my GT. But no spacers. Why do you need to use spacers?

4. nekasrof

nekasrof Member Established Member

I spent the extra money and bought ARP wheel studs. Using 3/8" on the front and 1/4" on the rear. 17x10.5 wheels all around on an '04 Mach 1. 315 A6's -R, 295 A6's - F.