Wheel/Tire Fit Issue on an '01

stangbuff

Established Member
After doing searches on all the old threads and seeing what sizes people appeared to be using (and fit best) I opted for a set of '95 Cobra R chromies w/ 275/40-17 GS-D3's on them from the Tire Rack. I installed the left front and immediately became alarmed when it was obvious the tire was going to stick out way beyond the fenderwell.

I was not expecting it because I hadn't seen anyone mention it. I can't see how I could lower the car and not experience a rubbing issue. I know I've seen 04's with the the same tire and wheel (offset) and did not see the fronts stick out 1"+ beyong the wheel well.

Is my newbie-ness showing (I have ugraded wheel/tire combos before on other cars) or was this to be expected? I was so looking forward to them and now I'm ready to sell or return them... sigh. Thoughts (besides you're an idiot) anyone? ;-)

tyronejenkinsII

Established Member
Did you have the car on a lift when you were looking at the wheel or was the car on the ground with the normal weight sitting on the tires? The reason i ask is because when they put my 18" saleen wheels with 275/35's on the front of the car it looked like it stuck out a few inches but when they put the car on the ground it looked fine. I also have eibach springs that were already on the car, no rubbing or clearance issues front or back

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
Its normal- if you look at any 99 up mustang w 9in wheels- youll see that they all "look" like the front tires/wheels stick out- especially when the rears dont have a spacer or offset. If you lower the car the look will disappear somewhat- but the only real way to get rid of it is to use an 8inch front wheel. The next best thing for you is to lower the car and get some spacers for the rear. It'll come out looking like you want. maybe also try a 265 tire. good luck

Users who are viewing this thread