When Honda wants $1500 for a 50cc dirt bike, you call China!

ArabianOak

Established Member
Here’s the definition of criminal!

59281C58-F8D0-4D8A-95E7-215791439352.png

blk02edge

Established Member
Right. Because at 5 they fully understand the depth of this thread topic.

Do you have kids?

View attachment 1535355

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Ive openly said id be a shitty father but I do know that no 5 year old is going to be mad about getting a 4 year old pw50. If they do get mad then that needs to be a learning process. I would have been beyond excited as a kid to even get the chance to try one.

Sleezy T

Established Member

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Ive openly said id be a shitty father but I do know that no 5 year old is going to be mad about getting a 4 year old pw50. If they do get mad then that needs to be a learning process. I would have been beyond excited as a kid to even get the chance to try one.

How do you know that? Never mind....I rest my case.

Funny because before that comment you made prior, I honestly didn't know whether or not you were a father. Was pretty obvious afterwards.

:)

blk02edge

Established Member
How do you know that? Never mind....I rest my case.

Funny because before that comment you made prior, I honestly didn't know whether or not you were a father.

:)
Shitty product from an evil country. I rest MY case.. If you have kids that are so stuck up that only a shiny new dirtbike will satisfy their needs then Yikes.. I mean a new plastics kit for a pw50 cost nothing, is this 5 year old going to ask to see the reciept to make sure its a 2019 model year? Lol either way, dead horse at this point, people can do what they want I just sure hope they never post anti china stuff elsewhere

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Shitty product from an evil country. I rest MY case.. If you have kids that are so stuck up that only a shiny new dirtbike will satisfy their needs then Yikes.. I mean a new plastics kit for a pw50 cost nothing, is this 5 year old going to ask to see the reciept to make sure its a 2019 model year? Lol either way, dead horse at this point, people can do what they want I just sure hope they never post anti china stuff elsewhere

Hey Sharpie.... There are 0 (zero) 5 year old kids that are "stuck up". They don't even know what that means nor do they know or GAF that a 25 year old Honda z50 exists.

Hate to break it to you, but you cant rest your case knowing that evil country has your garage half-filled with it's product. Nice try though!

blk02edge

Established Member
Hey Sharpie.... There are 0 (zero) 5 year old kids that are "stuck up". They don't even know what that means nor do they know or GAF that a 25 year old Honda z50 exists.

Hate to break it to you, but you cant rest your case knowing that evil country has your garage half-filled with it's product. Nice try though!
I actually couldnt not laugh any harder... Thats exactly my point man. They arent stuck up meaning they dgaf, meaning they would love a 4 year old yamaha or honda, meaning the RIGHT choice would be to put your kid on a quality product, especially when it comes to something that is VERY safety intensive. Not only is a japanese bike better in literally every single way, its also CHEAPER to own than throw away chinese shit. I bought a rm65 for $800, rode it drunk AF at the camp grounds for a year and sold it for $1300. Spend zero time fixing or adjusting anything.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
The only way it's cheaper to own a Japanese bike is if you buy used.

Which brings me back to my point of wanting to put my kids on something new for their first bike to see if they even liked the sport.

Its pure bafoonery to assert that "all China is junk, bleh bleh bleh,... buy Japanese... bleh bleh... huge resale.. bleh bleh bleh--- Evil China bad bleh bleh".

This is total nonsense as evidenced by the 2 quads that I have owned for almost 3 years that run perfect which get the snot beat out of them every weekend during the riding season.

The fact is, even if you buy your kid a nice used Jap bike for their first, it WILL NOT be nice when they get done learning on it. It will be a clapped out piece of shit in which you will struggle to get your money back once it's time to sell and upgrade.

But hey... spend your money how you see fit! WTF do I know... Ive only been in this off road game for 30 years.

blk02edge

Established Member
The only way it's cheaper to own a Japanese bike is if you buy used.

Which brings me back to my point of wanting to put my kids on something new for their first bike to see if they even liked the sport.

Its pure bafoonery to assert that "all China is junk, bleh bleh bleh,... buy Japanese... bleh bleh... huge resale.. bleh bleh bleh--- Evil China bad bleh bleh".

This is total nonsense as evidenced by the 2 quads that I have owned for almost 3 years that run perfect which get the snot beat out of them every weekend during the riding season.

The fact is, even if you buy your kid a nice used Jap bike for their first, it WILL NOT be nice when they get done learning on it. It will be a clapped out piece of shit in which you will struggle to get your money back once it's time to sell and upgrade.

But hey... spend your money how you see fit! WTF do I know... Ive only been in this off road game for 30 years.
1-I have never onced mentioned buying one brand new
2- it is literally impossible to clap out pw50
3- when has buying something new made any sense if you are just seeing if you like it?

Youve been in the offroad game for 30 years and you have 2 chinese quads? Yep. Doesnt make sense. Ive riden a chinese quad and good lord did the thing suck ass, Sure, it ran, but thats about all it could do. Come to think of it ive never actually seen a chinese unit in the bush, ever.

Agree to disagree I suppose

josephcostello

Established Member
Great buy. Now when it's time for the next bike, you can go namebrand. Had two honda 250x's and absolutely loved them.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
1-I have never onced mentioned buying one brand new
2- it is literally impossible to clap out pw50
3- when has buying something new made any sense if you are just seeing if you like it?

Youve been in the offroad game for 30 years and you have 2 chinese quads? Yep. Doesnt make sense. Ive riden a chinese quad and good lord did the thing suck ass, Sure, it ran, but thats about all it could do. Come to think of it ive never actually seen a chinese unit in the bush, ever.

Agree to disagree I suppose

1-I have never onced mentioned buying one brand new-- Point?
2- it is literally impossible to clap out pw50--that's funny ive seen at least 20 of them.
3- when has buying something new made any sense if you are just seeing if you like it? --- When it's under $500.

Yep.. 30 years give or take. Ive owned more Japanese/brand name quads/dirt bikes than I can count. Here are just a few for good measure:

Suzuki LT250r--bought used
Yamaha Banshee (2 of them)--bought one new, one used
Yamaha YZ426--bought new
Suzuki RM250--bought new
Honda TRX250R-- bought used (sweet bike)
Honda 300ex--bought used last year actually
Polaris RZR XP Turbo--bought new

The list goes on but I digress.

Buying a Chines quad/bike for your kids first ride is one of the smartest things someone can do.

blk02edge

Established Member
1-I have never onced mentioned buying one brand new-- Point?
2- it is literally impossible to clap out pw50--that's funny ive seen at least 20 of them.
3- when has buying something new made any sense if you are just seeing if you like it? --- When it's under $500.

Yep.. 30 years give or take. Ive owned more Japanese/brand name quads/dirt bikes than I can count. Here are just a few for good measure:

Suzuki LT250r--bought used
Yamaha Banshee (2 of them)--bought one new, one used
Yamaha YZ426--bought new
Suzuki RM250--bought new
Honda TRX250R-- bought used (sweet bike)
Honda 300ex--bought used last year actually
Polaris RZR XP Turbo--bought new

The list goes on but I digress.

Buying a Chines quad/bike for your kids first ride is one of the smartest things someone can do.
I think for the most part you've totally glazed over what Ive wrote.
My statement was that you can buy a 3-6 year old yamaha or honda for well under a grand, if you find a clapped out 50 at that age then, well I dont believe you will find one. 5 year olds on 50s do not clap them out, that is BS and you know it. The kid wont care the difference as long as its shiny (new plastics) when they surely outgrow it or hate it you sell it at no loss. And its one less thing that supports the ****in chinese. Pretty damn simple to me. If someone has to cross shop an initial $300 difference on a bike then this is not the sport for them.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
I think for the most part you've totally glazed over what Ive wrote.
My statement was that you can buy a 3-6 year old yamaha or honda for well under a grand, if you find a clapped out 50 at that age then, well I dont believe you will find one. 5 year olds on 50s do not clap them out, that is BS and you know it. The kid wont care the difference as long as its shiny (new plastics) when they surely outgrow it or hate it you sell it at no loss. And its one less thing that supports the ****in chinese. Pretty damn simple to me. If someone has to cross shop an initial $300 difference on a bike then this is not the sport for them.

This.

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
Shit we were excited just to see the brochures let alone have one. IMO it comes down to teaching the child that they have something nice and to take care of it even if it is used. Hell teach them to help maintain it and bond over the shared time.

We got out first clapped out 4wheeler when i was 15 and brother was 13 and we were over the moon.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Wow, this thread got exciting. Maybe I'm just a big kid at heart, but as much of a POS as that TaoTao was I had, I loved riding around on it when the wife was riding the Raptor. If you're having fun, who gives two shits what brand you're riding.

cammed 2v gt

Established Member
Honestly these Chinese bikes seem perfect for limited, mellow use and feeling out if someone even likes riding. If you're looking for something to thrash and pretend to be Travis Pastrana on these aren’t for you but it seems like if you don't mind tinkering a little bit with a bike that’s going to be used to putt around the back 40 I think they’re perfect.

Yes you can buy a used Japanese bike to learn on (at a higher initial investment) and not lose much value when you resell but if you're buying for someone to learn to ride you're going to have to most likely replace the plastics, levers, etc. that get destroyed to resell anyway. Plus when buying used there’s always repairs and maintenance that need to be done before even putting them on the bike on day one.

I think I'm going to buy my wife a Chinese bike to learn to ride and if she likes it I’ll look at upgrading her to a Japanese 250f or something. Hell the $900 Grom rip-off (TAO TAO Hellcat 125) looks fun as hell to. For as cheap as these dirt bikes are if I have to throw the thing in the trash after a year I'm probably still breaking even vs buying a new Honda and selling used after its been beaten up buy a new rider.

Blackoyote

Established Member
Lol, you can't compare a KTM 50SX to the likes of a Honda CRF50 or Yamaha TTR50. The KTM 50SX is a race bike, not intended for learning purposes like the CRF50, and is priced as such.

They do have the 50SX Mini now or something like that, it will be more comparable but I'm sure still a few hundred to $1k more new than the Honda/Yamaha. The Austrians make a top notch bike.

Users who are viewing this thread