Where to find a used Shelby GT500?

Ducati00

Established Member
Newer here. Well I used to visit this sub over a decade ago under a different handle but forgot the login. Anyway. I've been looking for a 2011 or 2012 Shelby for a while now. Seems like it is super hard to find any private party sales. I feel I've searched the vast depths of the internet. 99.9% of the time it is for sale through a dealership and they want top dollar, above kbb and edmunds value. I'm totally willing to pay a fair price. Just really hate dealing with dealerships. Anyone have any suggestions or where to look besides FB marketplace and this forum?

68gtscode

Established Member
You mention Facebook, but have you joined Van Collier’s GT500 For Sale private group? There are always a fair number of cars there. Besides that, I’d look at al the other usual places- here, Craigslist in the larger cities, autotrader, eBay, etc.

Willie

Established Member

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
I like using the Car Gurus app.

I had to buy my current GT500 off Ebay, and get it shipped from the middle of the country to the coast. Car was mint, and as described, bought sight unseen. Enclosed transport, it arrived without a scratch.

Real Time Recon

Established Member
Newer here. Well I used to visit this sub over a decade ago under a different handle but forgot the login. Anyway. I've been looking for a 2011 or 2012 Shelby for a while now. Seems like it is super hard to find any private party sales. I feel I've searched the vast depths of the internet. 99.9% of the time it is for sale through a dealership and they want top dollar, above kbb and edmunds value. I'm totally willing to pay a fair price. Just really hate dealing with dealerships. Anyone have any suggestions or where to look besides FB marketplace and this forum?
I've also been looking for a 2011 GT-500.Something to keep my Factory Five Cobra company in the garage....So far no luck

buddha93

Established Member
It's the only reason I got a FB account. The forums have slowed down over the years and most of it's there now. Join the FB group that was mentioned, there is another GT500 group or 2 as well. Doesn't hurt to jump on the S197 groups too. I don't recall which group I found my 11', but he didn't have it posted anywhere else on the internet. 13k mile car, really well cared for with the mods I was looking for.

I set up quite a few Autotrader alerts and CarGurus as well to make sure I was covering everything. They're out there, just gotta travel.

XP900

Established Member
With the Internet nowadays you are never going to get really great finds since everyone can compare their cars to what they see online and adjust accordingly. Stock used GT500s do not sit on dealership lots very long so if you see one you really like, get into the dealer and try to bargain it down quickly. If it comes close to your price go for it. I lost out on 3 beautiful mint low mileage GT500s by simply waiting a day or two before calling back. My brother did the same thing...saw a low mileage 2011 GT500 on a Saturday afternoon, spent a day thinking, went back Monday morning and it was gone. Car Gurus is nice but mainly dealerships. I've spotted some nice ones just by driving by large dealerships too.

buddha93

Established Member
With the Internet nowadays you are never going to get really great finds since everyone can compare their cars to what they see online and adjust accordingly. Stock used GT500s do not sit on dealership lots very long so if you see one you really like, get into the dealer and try to bargain it down quickly. If it comes close to your price go for it. I lost out on 3 beautiful mint low mileage GT500s by simply waiting a day or two before calling back. My brother did the same thing...saw a low mileage 2011 GT500 on a Saturday afternoon, spent a day thinking, went back Monday morning and it was gone. Car Gurus is nice but mainly dealerships. I've spotted some nice ones just by driving by large dealerships too.

It's funny how the market can change in a year. This time last year, cars would sit for months with zero movement.

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
Unfortunately FB is where you need to look which I cannot stand. Also, I'd have the cash sitting in your pocket for when one comes up because I find that anything that comes up for sale on FB for a fair price goes quick. I've been trying to get a 01 cobra for awhile and outside of buying sight unseen, I don't have time to get the cash and a day off before they're gone.

BlownPony306

Established Member
Unfortunately FB is where you need to look which I cannot stand. Also, I'd have the cash sitting in your pocket for when one comes up because I find that anything that comes up for sale on FB for a fair price goes quick. I've been trying to get a 01 cobra for awhile and outside of buying sight unseen, I don't have time to get the cash and a day off before they're gone.
That is actually how I came across my 08. Another cringe worthy option is one of the Craigslist search sites.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
My car in signature was listed for sale for a about 15 minutes on Auto Trader.
I set up alerts to email me for "like cars" I was looking for.
It was 255 miles away and I threw a deposit down over the phone immediately; sight unseen.

Stock used GT500s do not sit on dealership lots very long so if you see one you really like, get into the dealer and try to bargain it down quickly.

^ lol! And the good ones worth the $$$, will have 7 buyers who are willing to pay asking price. Good Luck :D

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
i search just for shits and giggles every now and then and there isnt much out there. the few i find are from dealers or PP asking $$. theyre like houses for sale right now. low inventory and high prices

Titan 5.0

Established Member
The market has been changing for sure... I bought my PP White with 12000 miles for 36K just over 3 years ago... The prices definitely have not gone down since then.

I flew to Indianapolis from Houston to get mine, and haven't looked back.

Last edited:

Masbury

I bought mine almost 2 years ago from Michael at Morrison. He was easy to deal with and my wife and I flew to Charlotte and Ubered to the dealership, checked the car out, signed the papers and drove it back to Kansas City. He finds very nice low mile cars from all over and brings them to their dealership. I paid KBB price for my 2010 Vert and felt like I got a very fair deal.

You can fly and drive or he will help arrange shipping.

Morrison Motor Company

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
I bought mine almost 2 years ago from Michael at Morrison. He was easy to deal with and my wife and I flew to Charlotte and Ubered to the dealership, checked the car out, signed the papers and drove it back to Kansas City. He finds very nice low mile cars from all over and brings them to their dealership. I paid KBB price for my 2010 Vert and felt like I got a very fair deal.

You can fly and drive or he will help arrange shipping.

Morrison Motor Company

Great guy to work with. Had a friend buy a Z06 last year from him. Flew in to meet my buddy, got a ride to the dealership, we were out in about 3 hours and 1 1/2 was just Bs'ing. Drove back to MI. Only reason I didn't get my GT500 from him is I ended up finding the perfect one local.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I guess it depends on who much you want to spend right?
There’s a really clean local ‘13-14 listed on this site, but again it depends on your budget.
Interest rates are low, and it makes a lot of sense to spend a few dollars more on a better car in my personal experience.
Good luck.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread