Which blower... with a twist...

Torinate

Hello everyone.

Been lurking for awhile and have done many many searches. I have a bunch of questions. Hopefully get some helpful advice.

Haven’t bought the car yet but planning the path to go.

Going to buy a 15-17 GT convertible automatic.

Is there a “better” year to get? Any known problems or worthwhile benefits of the various years? Obviously the 15s are a little “cheaper”. Can’t swing an 18 unless I skip the blower. Not necessarily. Deal breaker however.

This will be a daily driver including winter. I’m in Ontario so yes, the car will see the snow! On really bad days I’ll take the AWD SUV. But the plan is to drive the car everyday as I do my car now and leave my wife’s SUV alone.

I have LOTS of experience with centrifugal supercharger in the distant past but none of those were driven in the deep cold. Has anyone had or heard of issues with any of the blowers in the cold? I’m leaning towards the VMP TVS Gen 2 R but will consider each if one is better or one is worse. Love the Whipple as well but wasn’t really wanting to change a converter as well. I read somewhere about tolerances and rubbing but cannot find it again. Not sure which blower it was.

I’m looking for an honest 600 whp on crappy 91 octane fuel. I will not be putting a cage in the but would still like to go to the track and run a few times until they give me the boot.

Street ability, fun and dependability will be key issues for the blower choice. I think each kit can make the power level I’m looking for.

Anything to be careful of with respect to supercharging a convertible? What extra bracing does everyone recommend? Any extra care with the cold temps for the blower? In Ontario, we also have emission testing. However, the teens that do it won’t be looking for carb stickers - just stick the sniffer in the pipe so speak. So cats are a must and a good part throttle tune (no wot testing).

Opinions anyone?

Sorry for the long winded questions. Just need some pointers to get underway. Pick the right car and blower then spend the dough...

Thanks everyone.

Advice and tips are much appreciated

Yes, I’ve searched relentlessly but haven’t found what I’m looking for.

Torinate

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Buellitt

Established Member
I can’t speak about what you are mainly asking, but I don’t believe there is any difference to speak of from 15-17. Very minor things. The 18s I believe has more compression and different injection.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

camguy11

The tvs is a dealer installed option so can't go wrong with that and don't worry about the emission test because the sniffer is no longer used, it's just a OBDII plug in looking for codes.
I'm still wondering which way to go too, it's a toss up for me...
1-Hellion twin turbo (more $)
2- whipple gen 3 or the new vmp gen 3
Can't go wrong with either I'm sure.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

camguy11

Yep...been like that for a while and it's free...well they tacked it onto our sticker renewal price

Torinate

What? When did the change happen to make it free? Just renewed last month but luckily none of my cars were due for emissions. Every other year we do emissions so haven’t done it for a year. So they hook up to OBD port and read what exactly? Is there a visual “pass” as well? Thanks

camguy11

They give you a "pass" form to bring to the ministry for your renewal...just did mine for my truck 2 Weeks ago.

Torinate

Nice! Just read up about it. I renewed with emissions last February. Just before this started. Go figure... where abouts are you? I’m in Elora...

DarkMach1

Established Member
Dealer installed VMP. They will likely give you the boot after first pass in a convertible.

camguy11

Nice! Just read up about it. I renewed with emissions last February. Just before this started. Go figure... where abouts are you? I’m in Elora...

I'm about 20 minutes away from you....I'm in Guelph. Small world eh?

Torinate

That’s awesome! Born and raised in Guelph! My office is in Guelph. And, I’m 1 year older than you... probably crossed paths! I went to Ross.

Users who are viewing this thread