Which one and where to buy

railroad

Established Member
I am about to be the owner of a Factory Five Cobra roadster.
I want to go with the Coyote engine. Naturally, I would like to have the new 5.2, but can see being well satisfied with the 500 hp edition 5.0.
I am not up to date on the engines and their capabilities. I have seen some good dyno numbers, but do not know if these are bolt on engines or full tilt.
I guess my questions are, how much hp can the 435 hp engine make with bolt ons? The kit car will have headers.
If I buy the engine new, who has the best prices?

nileppezdel77

Established Member
In a FF Cobra (so minimal accessories), with the long tubes and backed by a manual trans, with a tune, you'll probably see mid 400's to the wheels. High 400s with a CJ intake and you'll almost certainly break 500 with cams and the rest of these bolt-ons.

railroad

Established Member
In a FF Cobra (so minimal accessories), with the long tubes and backed by a manual trans, with a tune, you'll probably see mid 400's to the wheels. High 400s with a CJ intake and you'll almost certainly break 500 with cams and the rest of these bolt-ons.

Unless a great buy on a pull out engine comes along, this is what I have in my plans.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6007-A50XS

I hope to get more than 2K off the price.

railroad

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. Probably more power than I will be able to use. Wife wants it drivable for her. Auto trans should tame it down enough.

nileppezdel77

Established Member
I'm looking at this one, personally: https://lmr.com/item/M6007A50NAA/20..._KRiDXQSzpew_N-IFXdJAvCOq9yQ_KbEdsaAvSN8P8HAQ

It's a fully forged version of the stock coyote and has the upgraded boss valvetrain. With a tune and nothing more I'm hoping to hit around 430 to the wheels with no worries at all about the ultimate strength or longevity of the engine. You don't get the ported heads and bigger intake of the Aluminator XS, but if you don't need those things, why bother?

railroad

Established Member
A 5.2 XS is supposed to hit the shelves anytime. Suggested retail on the 5.0 is about 16+. I hate to see the price on the 5.2.

nileppezdel77

Established Member
A 5.2 XS is supposed to hit the shelves anytime. Suggested retail on the 5.0 is about 16+. I hate to see the price on the 5.2.

If I were to guess, it would be between the Aluminator XS and the CJ engine ($32k) in the low to mid $20k range. WAAAAAAAAAY more than I would spend on an engine unless it was for a sponsored race car. I'm just an idiot with money to burn, but not that kind of money. You could have a similar engine built by MMR for a few grand less, I'm sure, if you really, really needed the extra displacement and the ported heads.

Users who are viewing this thread