Which one you guys like better trick flow high ports or edlebrock victor jr

badstrang

TermiLxsleeper
Established Member
I don't know which heads to get for my new setup I have always loved edlebrock but I here a lot of great things about tfs just need some input

Thanks

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
Depends on your set up, vic JR's are great for a 347-363 motor but at the same time the TFS are light years ahead of the vic jr's, there an old design and just cant compete, but they can be had for a decent price and do pretty well. Like I said, it depends on your set up. IF you have a big motor, get a set of 205 TFS or AFR's, if you have a smaller motor 347-363 the vic jr's wouldn't be bad. My 408 had vic jr's on it and I know there was a solid 30-40WHP in a better set of heads still on the table.

badstrang

TermiLxsleeper
Established Member
Wow thanks for the input..my next setup is also a 408 I'm thinking about throwing some boost at it vortech s trim 10-15 pounds..like I said I love edlebrock but they just can not compete against the trick flows..I might just go with the trick flows

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
Wow thanks for the input..my next setup is also a 408 I'm thinking about throwing some boost at it vortech s trim 10-15 pounds..like I said I love edlebrock but they just can not compete against the trick flows..I might just go with the trick flows

gotta consider that the TFS highports require different headers as there in a different location from all the other heads out there, also the valve angles are different so you have to get pistons specificly for those heads where as AFR's work with "normal" pistons since the valves are in the stock location and angle. If you are building a 408 I would highly recomend AFR205's, AFR and TFS are the top 2 aftermarket head manufacturers, and you wont need to worry about exhaust port location and piston selection to fit the AFR heads. You'll get the same result from the AFR's and there just over all easier to work with.

Last edited:

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
I ran Victor jrs on my 347 93 GT, and I loved the way it ran, I would say match the heads to the intake. IMO I think the Edelbrock intakes are better, but as far as the heads go, the TFS have passed the jr's, in design and power potential.

Gregg@TFS

Established Member
I don't know which heads to get for my new setup I have always loved edlebrock but I here a lot of great things about tfs just need some input

Thanks

As stated below it really depends on the combination. The good thing with the High Port head is you will have a cylinder head you can grow into. The potential of the High Port head is well above any of the other heads you have talked about.

The 192cc High Port head is a very nice head for your smaller CI. engines. The good thing about that head is that it can be ported up to a 240cc runner for you larger CI. forced induction application. Yes, you will need to spend a little bit more money on headers for the head but the power gains will out weigh the extra money spent on headers.

badstrang

TermiLxsleeper
Established Member
I never knew I needed special pistions to go with the tfs heads I could understand the headers..I have also heard good things about afr

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
A 512 lift is about the max you can run with stock pistons.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
As stated below it really depends on the combination. The good thing with the High Port head is you will have a cylinder head you can grow into. The potential of the High Port head is well above any of the other heads you have talked about.

The 192cc High Port head is a very nice head for your smaller CI. engines. The good thing about that head is that it can be ported up to a 240cc runner for you larger CI. forced induction application. Yes, you will need to spend a little bit more money on headers for the head but the power gains will out weigh the extra money spent on headers.

correct, but OP, you need to ask yourself if you ever plan on making 1000+hp to the wheels because that is the amount of power these TFS heads can support if you port them. For 995 of people that is just way to much and they can get the same result for less money with an AFR head, it all depend on your budget and goals. You cant go wrong with AFR or TFS either way.

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
Its .540 and that really depends on the amount of duration the cam has.

That is true. I got away with running a F cam and 1.7s, dont ask me how, but my 93 GT's stock motor lived for 6 years, and 9k miles, before I melted a piston.

Users who are viewing this thread