Which polish/wax for me?

wizdawg

aka... Brian
Established Member
Looking to do the once a year cleaning on my 03 cobra. Over the 4 years, the car has gotten some very light swirl marks. What would you guys suggest I use if I was to do it by hand? Looking for something to get rid of the swirl marks (if possible by hand) or at least hide them. And then something to give it an awesome shine.

I did the Zaino for the past 2 years, I am out now. I might go with is again, but looking for other opinions. The car is sonic blue, if that makes a difference with it.

Thanks,
Brian

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Clearkote Vanilla Moose; followed with Clearkote Carnauba Moose Wax.

Working by hand is a pain for swirl removal; Poorboy's SSR1 may be worth considering, but I've never used it by hand.

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
Swirls are a pain without a PC, but Meguiar's has a Hand Polish. Try that, it's Meguiar's #81

4fit?

Established Member
Meguair's #81 like mentioned above would be a good choice. Also, ScratchX by Meguiar's is good as well. Read more about using ScratchX by hand HERE.

danponjican

Established Member
I second ScratchX if you are commited to working by hand. It works pretty well but you've got to be "passionate"! If you are planning on tackeling the whole car with ScratchX... I would plan on a MIN of 3 - 5 hours just for that step.

Honestly, I would rather go out and buy a cheap $30 rotary buffer and just take it very easy with it (low risk). For example, a Chicago rotary ($30 at Harbor Freight), use a white or black foam polishing pad (very soft, very low cut if any at all) and either Optimum Polish or SSR1 (SSR2.5 if you are feeling lucky... still not too risky IMHO). Work it at very slow speeds (900 - 1000 rpm) and just use the weight of the machine (don't apply any pressure). Honestly I don't think it's possible to make a mistake with those steps.

Then top it with whatever wax or LSP you want (Natty's blue or a sealant like Duragloss #105 is what I would use). I think you'll be pleased!

Users who are viewing this thread