Which problem is it?

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
Went to get a correction for no front plates, so I ziptied my plate on the center of the grill. Cop came out, seen it, signed off and I was good. Couldn't find anything to cut the zip ties off with so I drove less than a half a mile to a Ford dealer and they cut the zip ties off.

Pulling out of the Ford dealer I noticed the car was overheating. Immediately pulled over and let it sit. Checked under the hood and there was coolant all over the radiator and on my belt, and it was slushy/thick, like a milkshake. Let the car sit for about 30mins, then I turned the car on engine off, to see if the fans would kick on, and they did, so I was like coo. My thought process was like "ok the car should be coo now since the plates aren't covering the radiator.

Started it up and it was fine. Pulled off and drove for about a mile, then it over heated again. Pulled over and let it sit for over an hour. Started it again and the car was fine for about 30mins, then it overheated again. Got it towed home.

Next day attempted to drive it to the guy who works on it, and barely made it there. He said it can either be a head gasket, cylinder head, or oil cooler. The more people I talk to the more I'm leaning towards oil cooler. The car wont overheat for awhile until after 40 or so mins after warming up. No smoke comes out or anything before then.

Will a compression test prove whether it's a head or not? Or do yall think it's the oil cooler?

2008 GT500 by the way

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Harry08

Established Member
How many miles, are you origional owner and what are mods? More info would be very helpful. Where was the coolent coming from? What is the condition of the oil and coolant? Recently changed, full, etc?

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
How many miles, are you origional owner and what are mods? More info would be very helpful. Where was the coolent coming from? What is the condition of the oil and coolant? Recently changed, full, etc?

53k miles

3rd owner

Mods are FRPP TVS, 2.5 upper, 10lb lower, American racing 1 7/8" headers, o/r H, American thunder axlebacks, VMP 67 TB, 123 JLT intake.

Coolant was only coming out of the reservoir

All the oil drained into the coolant, so I had to put more oil in.

Had a recent oil change before this whole incident.

Coolant was near time to flush out and put new coolant in the system.

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
How was it running prior to putting the plate on the grill?
Perfectly. I drove it for about 30mins from my job to the police station so it was fairly hot obviously from that drive, so my thought process is that after putting the plate blocking the radiator put the car over its limit .

Users who are viewing this thread