Which supercharger is best for this application?

blacksnake305

Established Member
Which supercharger is best for this application?

Hey all,

I've got a buddy w/ an HCI 95' cobra making 300rwhp in NA trim. He is interested in adding 8lbs to his stock shortblock via a blower. With that said, he has seen some firsthand issues w/ another friends procharger in that it blows its seals/leaks on a regular basis. He is worried that adding a centri blower (vortec) would produce the same situation. Now he is leary to add one.

Can anyone provide some guidance on this one? Are 5.0L centri's a problem. Is it a specific brand? Is a kenne bell a better choice? What are the pros/cons of whats out there?

PS: And if anyone is selling one for the 95', let us know!

Thanks all,
blacksnake305

My94GT

Established Member
i run a vortech s trim on mine, i had the v2 on mine and had blower seal issues upgraded to a v3 self contained and have had no issues so far. im running a good amount more boost but the drivability is good and im happy i went the route i did

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
There is no difference between the head units used on push rod or modulars. A P1SC is a P1SC. I have had ZERO seal issues but I know of others in this site that have. I would say go for the Procharger. It will offer great top end to pair with the torque that the push rod motor is already making down low. Plus it comes with an air to air front mount intercooler to keep the IAT's lower and allow you to run safer. What is the overall goal for the car?

blacksnake305

Established Member
There is no difference between the head units used on push rod or modulars. A P1SC is a P1SC. I have had ZERO seal issues but I know of others in this site that have. I would say go for the Procharger. It will offer great top end to pair with the torque that the push rod motor is already making down low. Plus it comes with an air to air front mount intercooler to keep the IAT's lower and allow you to run safer. What is the overall goal for the car?

I think the goal is just a fun steet brawler w/ 420-440rwhp and reliability...

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
Procharger's setup for 5.0's kind of blows...

I would either get an S-trim, which is really cheap anyways, or a Paxton

My94GT

Established Member
Procharger's setup for 5.0's kind of blows...

I would either get an S-trim, which is really cheap anyways, or a Paxton

:beer: cant agree more, and with the vortech if you ever plan to get really serious with it there are ways to get a fmic on the car. i may look into doing one this winter if i finish up my fuel system and a cage first

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
Vortech, KB, Procharger, Turbo. In that order in terms of availability, ease of maintenance and room to grow. You see so many Vortechs on 5.0's because they work and are easy and cheap.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
Since the guy already has HCI, the Kennebell would almost be an inlet restriction haha...

Vortechs are simple and do a very nice job on these cars..

We already have so much torque down low, you don't need a Positive displacement blower.. Escpecially since they are not intercooled and work nothing like they do on mod motors...

Slap on the vortech, with either 3.73's or 3.90's and have fun....

I have 4.10's and almost regret going so steep because I can light my 315's up with just a blip of the throttle...

Users who are viewing this thread