Which Transmission Gear Do You Think Pulls Hardest?

Which Transmission Gear Do You Think Pulls Hardest?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Just a poll/question that got me wondering.

In your car, be it a manual or automatic, boosted or forced induction, or what rearend gears you have; which gear seems to pull the hardest to you?

I'm leaving out 6th gear as an option since that is an OD gear for both trans.

I feel in my car (mods in sig) that 4th gear seems to pull the hardest to me. The way I think about it, getting as close to a 1:1 ratio is the trick. True 1:1 is a lot of stress on the motor. Getting close to, but not at, 1:1 still means the gearing/trans is still doing the majority of the work, but you are still utilizing the motor as much as possible while keeping stress down.

Last edited:

5.0jake

Established Member
If you are taking SOTP I'd say 2nd gear in the auto and manual starting at around 3500 rpms. Speed and power pull I'd say 3rd gear in the auto with 315's and manual with 3.31's. 4th for the manual with 3.73's.

Last edited:

12mustang5.0

Established Member
Mine i say 3rd gear i have 3:31 gears
I like my 5th gear top end but i hardly use 5th gear on wot because 4th gear goes up to 125ish i feel theres no need to go faster than that when racing

5.0jake

Established Member
I have 3.55s, so I'm wondering how much the rear end helps the car to feel faster between each gear set.

I went from 3.31's to 3.73's and it didn't feel that much faster to me. Mainly just more shifting, less powerband and less traction (especially in first).
I could imagine 4.10-4.30 "feeling" pretty good but not very good as a daily driver...

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
I went from 3.31's to 3.73's and it didn't feel that much faster to me. Mainly just more shifting, less powerband and less traction (especially in first).
I could imagine 4.10-4.30 "feeling" pretty good but not very good as a daily driver...
4.10s with these manual trans being geared the way they are, would be overkill. You wouldn't have any use with the first 2 gears. You could shift into 2nd at idle and still keep going.

5.0jake

Established Member
4.10s with these manual trans being geared the way they are, would be overkill. You wouldn't have any use with the first 2 gears. You could shift into 2nd at idle and still keep going.

Exactly what I was implying about not being good for daily driving. IMO 3.55 is the perfect N/A gear overall on a stock tire height.

FiveSlow

Established Member
3.31 gear car here, my 3rd pulls very hard. 1-2 gear break loose even on a 305 dr.. It hooks in 3rd and man does it pull! 4th is good aswell but 3rd is nasty.

Rct851

Established Member
3.31 a with basic tune and orx

Doing datalog pulls in 3rd gear From 2k to 6800 is fun because it's soooo long and you really feel the power curve especially once you hit 4500rpm.

hand-filer

Established Member
Definitely third for me. It's the gear where I get some initial tire spin followed by traction followed by some nice g-force.

Sinful_5.0

Established Member
Stabbing my TVS car & 3.73s in 3rd @ 3500 is insta-schoolgirl giggles. I'm on 305DRs and can hook when it's 70 or warmer out. 2nd is just violent if on rare occasion I get it to hook.

Last edited:

Rct851

Established Member
For Y'all with 3.55 or 3.73 an bolt ons only. When you punch it in 3rd at 3500rpm like mentioned above, does it have any balls or not? I ask because if stabbed 3rd at that rpm with my 3.31s I would get pulled on by a bicycle

Voltwings

Established Member
3.31 m6. My 2nd gear is "quick," but 3rd gear is "fast." I definetly feel 3rd pulls the hardest, a 3rd gear 60 roll is nasty.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
For Y'all with 3.55 or 3.73 an bolt ons only. When you punch it in 3rd at 3500rpm like mentioned above, does it have any balls or not? I ask because if stabbed 3rd at that rpm with my 3.31s I would get pulled on by a bicycle
Let me try that on my way home from work and get back to you.

Last edited:

PIKE5.0

Established Member

I have 3.73, it has some balls. doesn't really matter until 5k.. But 2nd is the only gear I feel good about, when I have enough tire on. Depending on the surface I can spin on the hit, and at the top. Kinda weird.

I really want to drop to 3.31, but worried about cocking it up.

Last edited:

orange_whiner

Pro-class stoplight racer
Established Member
3:31/m6. 4k rpm is where it starts to feel good. 3rd is my go to gear. But have you tried reverse? It's a low straight cut gear, it pulls pretty hard.

Users who are viewing this thread