Which would you choose? New ZL1 or new GT350?

Which would you choose? New ZL1 or new GT350?

• 2017 Camaro ZL1

Votes: 62 47.0%
  • 2017 Shelby GT350

Votes: 56 42.4%
  • Neither, get a new Corvette Grand Sport

Votes: 14 10.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
... I think it says a lot that only 39% of poll voters on a Ford site picked the Ford over the Chevy.

I think the poll would've swung sharply the other way if OP had used the GT350R, instead.

R1Lello

Established Member
^^^^
Don't agree at all - it's priced too high, tougher to get and same engine lacking bottom end. ZL1 is just the better street car and overall performer and reviews are reflecting that too

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
... ZL1 is just the better street car and overall performer and reviews are reflecting that too

Links? I haven't seen anything saying the ZL1 is a better performer. Not saying I don't believe it, but I want some proof. Also, I'm not accusing you of participating in it, but I'm getting tired of the Chevy guys [falsely] proclaiming victories in battles that haven't even happened, i.e. "The SS 1LE is faster than / just as fast as the GT350 Track Pack around a track" over and over. <<Not one shred of evidence of that has ever been presented.

edit:
Adding a video that's apropos to the last couple of posts. Skip to the 6 minute mark. This is a regular dude who has reviewed the Big 3, Hellcat/ZL1/GT350. And he's talking about a basic GT350, not the Track Pack.

Last edited:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
^^^^
Don't agree at all - it's priced too high, tougher to get and same engine lacking bottom end. ZL1 is just the better street car and overall performer and reviews are reflecting that too

Don't agree at all. Just look at value placed in each vehicle by actual buyers who use their hard earned money.
GT350 TP and Tech still routinely selling at or above the zl1 today. Add the R forget about it, selling above the new c7 z06. That shows how much more people want the R.

I have yet to see one review where pro drivers want the zl1 over a similar or higher priced sports car.

R1Lello

Established Member
Links? I haven't seen anything saying the ZL1 is a better performer. Not saying I don't believe it, but I want some proof. Also, I'm not accusing you of participating in it, but I'm getting tired of the Chevy guys [falsely] proclaiming victories in battles that haven't even happened, i.e. "The SS 1LE is faster than / just as fast as the GT350 Track Pack around a track" over and over. <<Not one shred of evidence of that has ever been presented.

edit:
Adding a video that's apropos to the last couple of posts. Skip to the 6 minute mark. This is a regular dude who has reviewed the Big 3, Hellcat/ZL1/GT350. And he's talking about a basic GT350, not the Track Pack.

I'm not a Chevy guy, I'm a car guy - I have Fords too. Overall yes it is a better performer, we know 0-60 and the quarter the ZL smokes it, as for the track, not going to look it up but the 'ring' everyone compares it too - the same 'ring' the Z06 doesn't have a time on, the ZL did super - and again, every review I read so far on the ZL1 have been outstanding.

Take it for what it's worth but I am considering a ZL1 except this first year they are hard to get in my area so maybe a 2018. Read too many reviews and comments from owners on the lack of torque on the 350 making it a not-so-good street car.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Watch the videos of the ZL1 on the track, the thing looks like it would be tough to handle without all the assists. I agree with GT Premi.

Basically it comes down to preference:
If you need a supercharger on top of a 6.2L motor and have a small penis, need an a10 automatic, yea def small penis, the ZL1 is for you. :D

If you're okay with taking the car to 3500rpm to make power and want a car that can be more manageable on the track, the GT350 is for you.

R1Lello

Established Member
Watch the videos of the ZL1 on the track, the thing looks like it would be tough to handle without all the assists. I agree with GT Premi.

Basically it comes down to preference:
If you need a supercharger on top of a 6.2L motor and have a small penis, need an a10 automatic, yea def small penis, the ZL1 is for you. :D

If you're okay with taking the car to 3500rpm to make power and want a car that can be more manageable on the track, the GT350 is for you.

Well I guess 51.1% on a FORD site are not ok with it and have a small wanker :)

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I'm not a Chevy guy, I'm a car guy - I have Fords too. Overall yes it is a better performer, we know 0-60 and the quarter the ZL smokes it, as for the track, not going to look it up but the 'ring' everyone compares it too - the same 'ring' the Z06 doesn't have a time on, the ZL did super - and again, every review I read so far on the ZL1 have been outstanding.

Take it for what it's worth but I am considering a ZL1 except this first year they are hard to get in my area so maybe a 2018. Read too many reviews and comments from owners on the lack of torque on the 350 making it a not-so-good street car.
The c7z does have a time at the ring. It has numerous times on the ring.
Just as the z28 had a time in Sept. 2013(gm did not share this time as it was slower than the 12 zl1 time).
It does not have a time that gm wanted to share and or market.
Hmm I wonder why.

R1Lello

Established Member
^^^
re: the C7Z, probably because it overheated or wasn't consistent.........or both. Back to the ZL1 which is the topic here, it did great at the ring and that wonderful tranny for people with small wankers is superb.

fangstang

Established Member
I can see where this is heading with the usual suspect. Please, lets just keep it civil. Its been a great thread so far with lots of opinions and info.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Well I guess 51.1% on a FORD site are not ok with it and have a small wanker :)

On a site where most of the members prefer brute force over finesse when they have to make a choice, it's no surprise. Heck, even I voted for the ZL1! I believe the GT350 and ZL1 are on par handling-wise, so why not have more muscle to go with it. However, for all out handling (which is what I prefer over brute force), check the sig. I even have my GT500 modded all the way toward handling over brute force. It does have a power mod, though. ;)

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
^^^
re: the C7Z, probably because it overheated or wasn't consistent.........or both. Back to the ZL1 which is the topic here, it did great at the ring and that wonderful tranny for people with small wankers is superb.
Too bad the 17 zl1 was not oem spec according to talk in Detroit.

As you said, good thing most care less. 51+ on a ford site who are not putting a dime behind their vote.
Most want not the best driving car but the car with the most power. In this case it's the zl1 and hc's.

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member
Let me throw a wrench in here...

Both suck..Hellcat rules all

ZL1 > GT350 performance wise pending no heat soak issues are confirmed.

Looks wise...both are sexy. Can't really go wrong with either tbh. It's like shopping at Best Buy for a TV. They have all the TVs next to each other to compare & you are set on a certain model, but guess what..right next to it is the "better" model with HDR FDA ABC & whatever other features that you'd never notice unless you had the two TVs side by side. What I'm saying is, buy what you like..not what everyone else thinks is better. Comparison is the thief of joy.

Last edited:

BladeX10

Established Member
I was completely on board with the GT350, It looks amazing, The motor is great, transmission is great but i got to drive one recently and was let down to say the least. On a track, I'm sure itll be 10x better but the power was almost nonexistent under 4k RPMs and having to wring out the gears from stoplight to stoplight will surely get old after awhile.

Compare it to the first time i drove a 2003 Cobra, I was left giggling like a school girl. I guess i would have enjoyed it more if there wasn't all this hype for it and the stupid ass dealer mark ups like it was the second coming of Christ. I'm sure the new GT500 will fill that void it left but then you realize there is going to be another 2 years of insane dealer mark ups when that car hits the dealer lots.

The ZL1 looks like absolute crap and i just cant accept it. Im sure its a great performing car but i'll never get passed the looks.

I would go after a C7Z. Its the best of both worlds.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
I suppose. The first 5K RPM goes by so quickly, though, even in normal driving, that I've never really paid much attention to when the feel of torque comes in. I have noticed that it will bog sometimes, if I don't rev it out enough in the previous gear. The Voodoo likes revs. The "fun" doesn't begin until 3500 RPM. Then you just surf the wave up to 8250. (8000, if the oil hasn't reached 200*yet.)

It's been known from the beginning that the Voodoo produces a piddling amount of torque. (What an automotive time we live in when 429 lb-ft can be considered piddling!) If a driver is looking for a car that is going to shove him into his seat, the GT350(R) is not for him. The ZL1 (or a Hellcat) will be a much better choice for that driver. I can't speak on the standard GT350, but if he's looking for a car that almost telepathically goes where you want it when you want it to, the GT350R is it. It will cut toward an apex like a fox chasing a rabbit, and sticks to the road like Velcro. It behaves like no car its size and weight has a right to.

Back to the engine, though. The Voodoo was designed to give that precise, surgical power delivery. A driver can confidently get on the power sooner coming out of turns without worrying about spitting himself out backwards. With my GT500, it handles great, now that the suspension has been heavily modified. But playing with the throttle in turns is like playing Russian Roulette with five bullets in the gun. It's more likely than not to come out backwards, sideways or fishtailing, if I tap the throttle at the wrong moment. The tip-in is like a hair trigger sometimes. That can be fun for a little while, but it quickly becomes annoying. Not to mention it does nothing to help the tire budget.

Smokey burnouts and tire squealing have their place, but it's much more fun to be able to shoot-and-scoot on the road or track. That reminds me of the Motor Week ZL1 track test I posted in Pics and Vids. If you watch that track video of the ZL1, you'll notice it has a very aggressive stability control program. It absolutely punishes its tires. If a ZL1 driver hits the track and turns the nannies all the way off, he's probably going to be all over the place. If he leaves them on, he's going to have a tough time keeping up with an R in the corners. (That's probably why Chevy dropped the ZL1 1LE bomb on us.) The GT350R can go into and come out of corners hard with little fuss.

Still, on paper, the new ZL1 is a fantastic car. I think it looks badass all around, except for the back. I wouldn't mind having one. It was, and kind of still is, on my shopping list. I'm holding out to see if Ford is going to offer up a new GT500. They've been holding their cards real close to their vests lately, but damn. Not even a hint of speculation on a GT500?? Usually, Mustang news is their worst kept secret. Look at the Bullitt "leaks".
Great post... I can imagine the R is a cut above. Wish I could get one at msrp.

fangstang

Established Member
I have a while to go before I make my decision. I'm only in the early stages of deciding. I still have to go look at them and test them.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
So in other words, you're going to end up getting a ZL1. It's highly unlikely that any dealer is going to let you drive a GT350. Not unless it's a used one. No lie, I was in the middle of signing all the paperwork on my R when I mentioned not having had a test drive. The guy looked and reacted like I had asked him to watch his wife blow me; totally taken aback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread