Whipple 2.3 or 3.4?

03 TWIN

03 DSG Cobra
Established Member
I am gathering my mod money to put a whipple on my 03 cobra here in the next few weeks. I've played the twin turbo game. It was fun, but more were into it than I was. Call me crazy, but I like the boost from a supercharger rather than a turbo. I want to cross the 600hp mark and realize either whipple can achieve this. I want to play in the 600 range for the time being, but I also know I may want more down the road. So what is the deciding factor in order to choose? Sorry for the rant, but I hope you can see that I am really torn between the two and not just asking a question. Thanks for any help. Brian.....

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I am gathering my mod money to put a whipple on my 03 cobra here in the next few weeks. I've played the twin turbo game. It was fun, but more were into it than I was. Call me crazy, but I like the boost from a supercharger rather than a turbo. I want to cross the 600hp mark and realize either whipple can achieve this. I want to play in the 600 range for the time being, but I also know I may want more down the road. So what is the deciding factor in order to choose? Sorry for the rant, but I hope you can see that I am really torn between the two and not just asking a question. Thanks for any help. Brian.....

Brian,

That's a great question. For many the 2.3L is more than enough. It's definitely capable of the 600+rwhp mark and has proven itself in the cobra community for years. As you start to push it harder into the 22-25psi range you start to reach the 2.3L's efficiency range. Just like an eaton being spun too hard where heat starts to effect performance it's the same thing with any blower that reaches it's maximum efficiency range. I would recommend that if you're happy with 600-625rwhp then 2.3L is a great choice. If you plan to take it past that you have just entered the beginning of the 3.4L's efficiency range. The 3.4L's performance over 20psi will start to pull away from the 2.3L's performance and take you all the way to the top. Right now the fastest twin screw non nitrous cobra runs a 3.4L. It's got a record time of 9.12 at almost 150mph. Shortly we'll also see a new high performance competition inlet for the 3.4L which will also use the 160mm Super Mono blade TB. The airflow and efficiency of the 3.4L will increase quite a bit as the inlet is really the only restriction on this blower. Keep in mind though that that 9.12 was run with the inlet that everyone else that owns a 3.4L has on their kit now unless they've fabricated something else.

So it's a choice on your part to know where you want to go with the car. A 600rwhp monster or the rocket..

Please let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks, Jared

:beer:

03 TWIN

03 DSG Cobra
Established Member
So is it safe to say that a 3.4 will have lower temps at same hp levels as a 2.3? What about fitment issues with the 3.4? Was that with the cobra's also or just the gt500? If so, then does something come with the kit to solve hood clearance issues? Last question......What pulley sizes average around 600 plus on the 3.4? Please provide two sizes.......Thanks

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
So is it safe to say that a 3.4 will have lower temps at same hp levels as a 2.3? What about fitment issues with the 3.4? Was that with the cobra's also or just the gt500? If so, then does something come with the kit to solve hood clearance issues? Last question......What pulley sizes average around 600 plus on the 3.4? Please provide two sizes.......Thanks

The 3.4L will indeed have lower temps than the 2.3L at the same power level as it takes less to make the power with the larger blower.

As far as fitment goes the only thing you'll need to do is clearance the center support bracket on your hood. I personally did mine and it was a piece of cake. All I used was a dremel with a small cutting wheel and less than 10 minutes it was ready to fit the 3.4L. No need to lower the motor or run lowered motor mounts. If you want to get an idea of where you'll need to clearance the hood just look under your hood at where the front of the supercharger snout is located. Just above the snout and the front of the blower case you'll see that portion above on the hood which hangs down a bit. It can be removed and doesn't effect anything on the hood at all by removing it.

The pulley that comes with the kit is 3.50". That will make about 25psi with the stock lower. We offer a 3.80" upper which will lower boost to about 22.5lbs. If you want to go lower than that then you can use the 3.50" that comes with the kit and run the 6.55" lower which we sell that will lower boost to 21psi.

Hope that helps.

Jared

Users who are viewing this thread