Whipple 2.3 or VMP TVS

BayAreaTech

Crazy Mexican
Established Member
Ok so I'm really really confused now. First I was getting a 2.8kb then drew over at AED said it was over kill. He then recomended whipple 2.3 then I heard about the vmp tvs and now my brain is smoking. I'm 100% tvs but all this talk about no egr and California emissions is killing me. This will be strictly a street setup car briven only on weekends and I rarely see locall tracks. What do u guys recommend in cali 91 octane?:confused:

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

safado

bleed'n blue
Established Member
do you have a hook up for emissions testing.. cause even though you can shut it off in the tune.. the visual inspection that Ca will get ya unless... a hook up

BayAreaTech

Crazy Mexican
Established Member
Well I don't have a personal hook up, I have a few friends that claim they can help me out with their hookup. :confused:

safado

bleed'n blue
Established Member
thats going to be the key.. The one thing that i find odd.. and it maybe thast i haven't found it.... is that even on VMP's forum.. there is no talk about their blower.. I am in the market for a blower.. but a bit leary after hearing of the supposed the lack of quality of the inlets...

BayAreaTech

Crazy Mexican
Established Member
Oh ic I haven't heard anything negative yet on the inlets. I have done a fair amount of researching, on svtp and google which have all proven that power/tourque wise they are far superior to whipples 2.3 and in some cases even a 2.8 non mammoth kb. There is a bunch of vmp tvs talk on different forums when I google them. I have a local whipple 2.3 I can buy right now, I don't mind spending another thousand for the tvs but weary on Ca emissions, but then again when I think about it, even with the whipple I wouldn't pass because of my non catted x, witch I plan on going long tubes aswell. Decisions decisions :thumbup::thumbdown:

safado

bleed'n blue
Established Member
if your going to save 1K between a used whipple and a used TVS.. I think i would go for the used whipple.. with the money saved thats your whole fuel system there..

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Might want to take a look in the 03-04 section if you haven't yet, been quite a few threads on the VMP TVS.

BayAreaTech

Crazy Mexican
Established Member
Well I have already looked in that section before, but Justin at vmp just answered my question in email, and let's just say I'm going whipple:sly:

Last edited:

cbr repsol

Established Member
I say whipple..it has a egr port so passing smog is no problem. Now as far as exhaust goes thats another story. It will fail visual with no cats and lt headers are not smog legal in cali either. If u get a 2.3 with a sbtb it should make more than 550rwhp at 17 pounds on 91 pump. Imo thats a pretty fast car and if u get a high octane tune with more boost it will be 600 plus.

BayAreaTech

Crazy Mexican
Established Member
Well he has no plans YET to add egr. And well ur right over 550 is already nice power but I just figured that if I was going to spend over 3k on a blower then why not get the most out of it. I'm sure ill be happy with a whipple.... For a while that is:D. I do plan on getting a e85 tune aswell though, if that doesn't feed my torque needs then the switch will come later:thumbup: by the way I envy u FL ppl

racebronco2

Established Member
Well he has no plans YET to add egr. And well ur right over 550 is already nice power but I just figured that if I was going to spend over 3k on a blower then why not get the most out of it. I'm sure ill be happy with a whipple.... For a while that is:D. I do plan on getting a e85 tune aswell though, if that doesn't feed my torque needs then the switch will come later:thumbup: by the way I envy u FL ppl

Even at 500rwhp you are going to be traction limited in first and if you power shift into second. Third gear will be a problem in the colder temps.

Last edited:

Bruha

Thats what I thought
Established Member
This man speaks truth! In cooler weather I spin in a third gear punch!

Even at 500rwhp you are going to be traction limited in first and if you power shift into second. Third ear will be a problem in the colder temps.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I've been debating as well. Have had a new 2.3L Whipple in the garage for a few months, but the TVS looks tempting. At lower boost it appears to have more torque, is easier to install/maintain and might have lower discharge temps - only seen a few temps on them so far.

EGR makes it a no go at the moment however. Any time I hear of a 'hook up' it tends to get unreliable when I really need it, so I have to pass the real way.

cbr repsol

Established Member
Even at 500rwhp you are going to be traction limited in first and if you power shift into second. Third ear will be a problem in the colder temps.

Thats why u run drag radials daily. My car made 552rw 541 rwtq I never had traction issues with ny nto5rs. Of cource cold weather u wont get as much traction ,i still hooked enought to take out a 600 cc motorcycle when it was a real cold morning.

BayAreaTech

Crazy Mexican
Established Member
Op why dont u just go 2.9 whipple? Imo it will outshine the tvs esp if the crusher is added.

Well my problem started when I purchased a 2.8kb and I told drew @ AED about my intentions with the car. I sold that because he said that we would need a bigger pully to spin the blower slower. He mentioned that with a 2.3 I would actually make more useable power than with a 2.8 or even 2.9 because of the crappy 91 and the timeing he would have to Subtract. I'm no pro at tuning I just know my way around cars so I listen to the pros when it comes to that. My car is only a weekend toy its not a race car but I have plenty suspension upgrades to hold some good power. I also told him I planned on getting e85 as a second tune, and he said he had one in the shop now with.a mear 5k invested in fuel upgrades for e85, that right there just canceled my e85 plans so.I have to.stick with 91...:confused:

stagedz

Cobra Convert
Established Member
$5000 is way high for an e85 setup...you could do one for much less...you could get lethals $1800 kit and pay the difference for the 465 e85 walbros and then you would just need the injectors and tune so probably $2500 plus install

cbr repsol

Established Member
Well my problem started when I purchased a 2.8kb and I told drew @ AED about my intentions with the car. I sold that because he said that we would need a bigger pully to spin the blower slower. He mentioned that with a 2.3 I would actually make more useable power than with a 2.8 or even 2.9 because of the crappy 91 and the timeing he would have to Subtract. I'm no pro at tuning I just know my way around cars so I listen to the pros when it comes to that. My car is only a weekend toy its not a race car but I have plenty suspension upgrades to hold some good power. I also told him I planned on getting e85 as a second tune, and he said he had one in the shop now with.a mear 5k invested in fuel upgrades for e85, that right there just canceled my e85 plans so.I have to.stick with 91...:confused:

Sounds like people are giving u some b.s. when it comes to options. A buddie of mine made 630rwhp on 91 pump with a 2.9 . & over 650 with a torco mix. As far as timing goes ,u cant run alot of timing on low octane . If u were planing e85 anyways u run two different tunes for when u can get e85. If u go on a long road trip and no e85 u just switch over your tune to a pumps gas friendly 91 & your good to go. Depending what boost u go with for pump &e85 u might have to swap blower pullies or just stay out of boost if u ran a higher boost for the e85. Also 5k for a fuel system is total b.s. u can get a complete return kit from lethal for around 1800 bucks(best one they offer) run 105 Injectors for another 700 bucks or so.

Users who are viewing this thread