Whipple Cobra, C6 or even C5z......?

rsnyder

SVT
Established Member
I have a Whipple 03' Cobra, and have lately been thinking about getting back into a Vette. I owned one C5 Vette before, and really liked it. I have never driven the C6's before, and don't know how they compare to the C5's. I love my Cobra, but my main question to you guys is, what would it take to get a C6 (probably a z51) up to par with the Whipple Cobra? What about a C5z? Between a C5z and a C6, which would be easier to mod to get it into Whipple Cobra territory? C6's and C5z's can be had for really low prices right now, and I have been on the fence about this. I don't really want to take a step back when it comes to power/speed, so maybe you guys can help with your input. Thanks..:beer:

99stanger

RPB
Established Member
I would go with the c6... cam, headers, procharger. I am not a huge fan of the c5's so maybe thats why I am a bit biased towards the c6?

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
I am getting to the same point as you.. my other hold up is that my fiance's family owns a ford dealership.. so I would catch some real hell switching to the dark side!

To help clarify though.. i know someone that has an 07 z51 package C6 and although we never ran we both have gone to the same dyno and had numbers ran and of course talked trash to each other till now... he probably got me really easy if we ran now.

His car has full exhaust, intake, cam, stock heads (we de-burred them though), and a 150 wet shot. On spray i think he made something like 570rwhp. I may be off slightly on the numbers this was several months ago, but i know after his final tune up he was within 10-20rwhp of me with my whipple. I am only sitting at 13#'s of boost though on stock manifolds so there is room to grow but his car is pretty sick.

I have another friend with a c5 Z06, just did full exhaust, heads, cam, and intake.. put down 446rwhp so it might be more of a toss up between the two (when you take the spray out of the question).. but i prefer the look, interior, and push button start that come with the C6.

Last edited:

Canebrake

Velocity Junkie
Established Member
The C6 series is a nice setup. I drove my Dad's 09 C6 Z06 way more than he ever did since it stayed in my garage. He ran out of room and I offered him a place to keep it. It was an amazing car, docile and calm until you really egt into it. Then it was mean as hell. You could drive it all day long comfortably. My wife even loved it.

They are great cars IMO. If you dont need a back seat, then its a great car. We went shopping in it one day and filled up the entire hatch with a new PC, food, birthday gifts for my daughter and stuff. Tons of room, great for touring.

I still need a rear seat occasionally to take my son to school on the nice days when I drive, so a Vette is out of the question.

Last edited:

greengt88

Established Member
Been thinking about the same. Vette seems like a better platform. Gonna put my whipple on first and go from there. Never been in or driven a vette. Though about a gt500 as well. Def would opt for the c6 though. I assume someone make a twinscrew for that?

Fourtrax250R

Established Member
i have had 2 C5's and a C6, a 99 targa top, a 2002 vert, and a 2005 C6. Yes, there is a difference, mostly in size and fit and finish. The C6 feels a lot more compact (and it is) and the interior and overall fit and finish is light years ahead of the C5. Dont get me wrong, the C5 is a great car with a great platform, the C6 has been regarded as a C5 1/2 by a lot of people. In my opinion, the terminator is funner to drive, and FEELS faster, and is more raw of a car. The C6 handles so well and is really light, and with all the goodies, (active handling, heads up display, driver information center, magnetic suspension set ups/Z51, etc..) the car fixes a lot of your mistakes and it is si smooth and easy to drive. If you get a C6, just pro-charge it (plus supporting mods) and go. most drivers cannot outdrive the OEM performance suspension, so you wont have to touch it. I am a Cobra and Vette fan, they are two different beasts. The Vette is def. a world class sports car though. :beer:

tomcat

Forever Foxbodys
Established Member
I thought this was a Pro-Ford website.... my bad.
Vettes are for Fossils driving 55 in the right lane.
There, I said it....not sorry either.

FAsnakes

الوزن الى القوة
Established Member
LS3, light cam w/ full exhaust would equal the speed of a typical Whippled cobra..

Fourtrax250R

Established Member
I thought this was a Pro-Ford website.... my bad.
Vettes are for Fossils driving 55 in the right lane.
There, I said it....not sorry either.

Just because this is a pro- Ford website, (and I am a Ford man) does not mean we cant apreciate other vehicles, especially other cars that are American, and are a great piece of engineering such as the current C6 Z or C6 ZR1. :coolman:

03cobrarocks

Established Member
I think it would depend on what you wanted to use the car for. How often do you go to the track? How much do you care about corner carving? Is it a daily driver?

While I would love a vette one day for me a cobra is a lot more "practical"for me as I am mostly a straight line performance guy, dont care about the status symbol side of things, and love the brute power of the 03/04 cobra.

However from the options given I really do not think one can make a bad chose. All are sweet options just depends on what you are looking for.

rsnyder

SVT
Established Member
srl135, I have your car's twin. Same wheels, same tint, etc.. This car in black looks sooo mean. It would be hard to get rid of this car, but then again the Vettes, especially the new Zo6's, are just awesome too. The Vettes just out handle the piss out of these cars, mainly with high speeds too. I don't know what I'll do, but I'm going to go drive one and hopefully that will help me make up my mind. I really like straight line performance, but the feel of my old C5 was incredible. The sound system (Bose) kicked my Cobra's azz too......

Users who are viewing this thread