Whipple Gen-3 Rotor Upgrade for the 2.9L Twin Screw Supercharger

Our friends over at Lethal Performance shared the following information about their New Exclusive Gen-3 Rotor Upgrade for the Whipple 2.9L Twin Screw Supercharger. This upgrade kit sounds like exactly what the twin-screw market has been looking for, and it's going to be very interesting to see how far early adopters will be able to push the performance envelope. Best of all, if you were thinking about pulling the trigger on a new Whipple kit you can get the Gen-3 upgrade for a mere $200 extra. That's a no-brainer in my book. Check out the full details below, and give Lethal Performance a call ordering details.

gen31.jpg

- Adds up to 30-150 hp/tq at the same boost level

- 10-80*F cooler temps

- New Whipple Crusher SC Housing for increased volumetric efficiency

- Simple bolt-on upgrade to existing Gen 1 and Gen 2 2.9L/W175AXFF superchargers

- $200 add-on upgrade if ordering a complete kit

Whipple Superchargers, known for years of innovation, have now developed the new Gen 3 Whipple 2.9L supercharger that features both updated rotor design and rotor housing to unleash even more power from your engine. The Gen 3 works with nearly all 2.9L Gen 1 and 2 applications and is a simple upper half swap. No tuning required, just more power by increased supercharger efficiency.

Gen 3 features all new 3/5 rotors that feature a new updated rotor profile and new advanced manufacturing methods, allowing more accurate and tighter tolerances along with increased efficiency. Each Gen 3 rotor also features a later generation robotically sprayed conformal rotor coating, allowing the rotor clearance to conform to the operating conditions and application. The Gen 3 also features upgraded double lip PTFE rotor seals for higher RPM, higher temp and higher pressure ratios.

The Gen 3 also features a new rotor housing with the new angled support ribs for a more aggressive appearance, along with revised port shape for increased rotor filling and decreased turbulence, resulting in increased overall supercharger efficiency. What does all this mean? More power, more power, more power while maintaining the same boost levels.

During extensive testing on multiple applications, both Whipple and 3rd party testing found gains from 30RWHP up to 150RWHP depending on blower speed and engine specifications. Standard pump gas applications can easily make another 30RWHP with no other changes. Because boost maintains, tuning is not required. Just bolt on and unleash the power of your stock application.

Each swap kit comes with all the necessary parts/hardware to swap the Gen 2 SC for the Gen 3. No cutting or grinding required.

Current available applications:

2003-2004 SVT Cobra

2007-2014 Shelby GT500

2011-2017 Mustang GT & F150

2010-2014 6.2L Raptor/F150

2006-2018 Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep

gen32.jpg

That's what I'm saying! I called whipple and they said exclusively 2.9 only...

The 3.4 and larger Whipples don't have as much [supercharger] competition in their spaces. The little TVS blowers are stepping on the 2.9's toes. The 2.9 is their bread and butter. Whipple is just trying to restore order and balance in the 2.9's segment with regards to the little TVS blowers. I'm actually shocked a Gen 3 is coming so soon. The Gen 2 just came out last year. Good thing I didn't upgrade to that one!

Not sure if this was asked but with the new rotors, can we spin the blowers harder/faster than they were rated for previously? IE if 19K RPM was max, is it now 22K+/-??
Thanks,

Not sure if this was asked but with the new rotors, can we spin the blowers harder/faster than they were rated for previously? IE if 19K RPM was max, is it now 22K+/-??
Thanks,
From what whipple told me over the phone, these will be capable of upwards of 30 psi and have much cooler IATs. I didn't ask about rpm or screw speed...when I asked how this would match up to the 3.4, the tech on the phone claimed this blower will be better all around...

The 2.9 is there bread and butter. The 3.4 and 4.0 are too big. They get hot very very quick. Especially the 4.0.

That is why my tuner won't recommend anything over a 2.9. If you run e85 with the 3.4 it's doable. The 4.0. Ehh. If your not happy with that power then build a bad ass motor. Turbo is next after a 2.9. Some believe the Internet too much but don't read between the fine lines

My tuner just did a 4.0 whipple cobra and the owner even said it's not a street car. We are taking drag racing equipment, these huge blowers and want to turn them into a cruiser. Doesn't work that way.

So I'm glad that whipple is redoing the 2.9 bc the tvs isright there with it.

The 3.4 and 4.0 are too big. They get hot very very quick. Especially the 4.0.

That is why my tuner won't recommend anything over a 2.9. If you run e85 with the 3.4 it's doable.

Not trying to start a blower war or entertain any dick measuring competitions, but the 3.4 is a PROVEN beast WHEN RUN WITH THE CORRECT FUEL (E85 or race gas). Most often it comes to the tuner's level of intellect and experience to tune these cars with anything greater than a 2.3 TVS, 2.8 KB or 2.9 whipple blower. I have also had tuner after tuner (10+) swear by the ID1300s for alcohol and only ONE say they're incompatible with the 03-04 ecu and that nothing over ID1000 will work. Hmmm...why is it that alot of guys can't break 770-850 wheel mark with ID1000? And have to either go triple pump and/or larger injectors? This is also the same tuner who said anything over a 2.9 is overkill. I really hope they also try and revise this blower (3.4) as well. Either way it's very exciting to see Whipple stepping up to the soon to come TVS.

Again, not trying to start a war...just that this sidelined internet bashing of anything over a 2.3 tvs or 2.9 whipple is OLD.

Whipple needed the Gen 3 rotor pack 2.9 to answer the TVS2650 at least to me, especially if TVS will be OEM on GT500 and keeps price down.
I agree I'm happy Whipple updating whole line with improved rotor design, innovation rules!
-J

The edelbrock 2650 for 5.0 is out already. combine the eforce with http://www.modularmotorsportsracing...ain_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=486
And you can have a better intake and intercooler with the gen 3 NOW.

The other Gen 3 marketer is keeping tight lips on everything. There are a lot of people in the market right now and I would suspect the first one to get to produce a product is going to receive a lot of orders. Good times ahead for blown Fords!!

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Not trying to start a blower war or entertain any dick measuring competitions, but the 3.4 is a PROVEN beast WHEN RUN WITH THE CORRECT FUEL (E85 or race gas). Most often it comes to the tuner's level of intellect and experience to tune these cars with anything greater than a 2.3 TVS, 2.8 KB or 2.9 whipple blower. I have also had tuner after tuner (10+) swear by the ID1300s for alcohol and only ONE say they're incompatible with the 03-04 ecu and that nothing over ID1000 will work. Hmmm...why is it that alot of guys can't break 770-850 wheel mark with ID1000? And have to either go triple pump and/or larger injectors? This is also the same tuner who said anything over a 2.9 is overkill. I really hope they also try and revise this blower (3.4) as well. Either way it's very exciting to see Whipple stepping up to the soon to come TVS.

Again, not trying to start a war...just that this sidelined internet bashing of anything over a 2.3 tvs or 2.9 whipple is OLD.

First of all, no one ever said that the 3.4 whipple was NOT A BEAST. SECOND of all, nobody is starting a blower war. We are simply stating that the 2.9 is there main blower that sells bc not everyone has access to E85 or wants broken cranks or wants to roll around on race gas.

I even said if YOU HAVE E85 sure go with the 3.4. The reason why my tuner won't recommend the big blowers is bc they create tons of heat. They are at home at the drag strip. Do you get what I am saying? He does these cars everyday. We keep upgrading and spending more money for minimal gains. The 3.4 is big and it gets hot. So he tells people his suggestions. If you want to listen fine if not, he will gladly take your money.

There are reasons why tuners are saying this more and more. You can do what you want. My tuner built snake bite. Has a 7 second fox body and has a lot of 8 to 9 second street cars roaming around that are raced often and have no issues. No garage queens.

E85, built motor, double keyed crank, and whatever other mods you need to not have your crank snap and or create ridiculous iat temps go ahead. Get the 3.4.

And dont tell me what topics are old and what setups work and don't work. I've had my cobra for 14 years. Pay attention to why tuners dont want to run BIG BLOWERS. And it's not bc there-stupid like you claim they are. I'm done.

Back on topic.

E85, built motor, double keyed crank, and whatever other mods you need to not have your crank snap and or create ridiculous iat temps go ahead. Get the 3.4.

And dont tell me what topics are old and what setups work and don't work. I've had my cobra for 14 years. Pay attention to why tuners dont want to run BIG BLOWERS. And it's not bc there-stupid like you claim they are. I'm done.

You are only further solidifying my point with your temper tantrum. You live in New York right? Mustang magic is in New York right? So, that makes this a battle of one single biased (yet educated and proven) opinion vs the West Coast, Southern US and even up to Canada. MANY people and tuners have had success with these "bigger" blowers WITHOUT the necessity of a double keyed crank or built motor. E85? Sure, that's a no brainer.

My point is this...clean and cut. This forum used to be so creative and fun, so full of life and healthy debates that yielded a wealth of knowledge. Over the years it has turned into a "clique" in which if you don't have a 2.3 TVS, 2.3 or a 2.9 Whipple (which the TVS guys still look down upon), you are to be exiled and cast down with the worst of them. And even if you're blowing by them in the quarter mile...your IATS are too high, or "you're gonna snap your crank bro".

The narrow minded outlook towards this topic is truly entertaining. And listen...the LAST thing I'm going to do is call an experienced tuner "stupid". I still seek advice from them and other veteran members on here on the daily.

Please don't put words in my mouth. And thank you for proving my point.

Back to topic...

If this Gen-3 Whipple carries the same or similar low end torque as the TVS 2.3 or the new 2650 and yet maintain lower IAT's and compete with the new 2650 in the upper RPM range it will give us all more options. Historically as we all know the twin screw comes strong in the upper RPM range, I'm hoping it narrows the margin in the lower. The more options we have the merrier. Does anyone have this information? Maybe a bit too soon, I suppose we will have to wait and see.

Cheers,
Ray

If they're using the same or better rotor profile as the TVS, it "should" produce much more torque on the bottom end than the TVS. That's cool on a drag strip with drag radials. On the street, however, more bottom end torque is the last thing a GT500 needs.

Wait a minute. That article quotes Whipple as saying they've been using the Gen 2 2.9 for 9 years! I thought the Gen 2 just came out last year with an upgraded rotor pack. So, all this time I've had a Gen 2 and didn't know it?? What was the deal with the upgraded rotor pack last year, then? And why have a "Gen 3" now?? The more information that comes out, the more confused I'm getting! :??:

Wait a minute. That article quotes Whipple as saying they've been using the Gen 2 2.9 for 9 years! I thought the Gen 2 just came out last year with an upgraded rotor pack. So, all this time I've had a Gen 2 and didn't know it?? What was the deal with the upgraded rotor pack last year, then? And why have a "Gen 3" now?? The more information that comes out, the more confused I'm getting! :??:
That "nine year" comment through me off as well. They're making some awesome claims with this new GEN 3 so I'm really excited for it.

Well its up on the whipple site for 3900. Looks like they offer it for anything they ever offered a 2.9l on. No $4100 price anywhere that I can see.

I'm calling tomorrow. Been considering a crusher inlet or a caged lower but I'd save over either of those selling my gen2 and buying a gen3. Just want to make sure the cobra application actually offers a crusher inlet and that isn't just on the front feed coyote apps.

I'm calling tomorrow. Been considering a crusher inlet or a caged lower but I'd save over either of those selling my gen2 and buying a gen3. Just want to make sure the cobra application actually offers a crusher inlet and that isn't just on the front feed coyote apps.
The cobra will offer both a standard and crusher inlet...

Users who are viewing this thread