Whipple Installation complete. Amazing!

Cobra-O

Established Member
All I can say is WOW. Fastest car I have driven. Faster than my stock 03 Cobra, pulls harder at any speed, just amazing.

The computer showed up today, right on time and I was ready to add that and the coolant. Total time was 16 hours, which is pretty good I think. I had every tool you can imagine at my disposal, and the car was on a lift the whole time. I can't say the lift is necessary, but it really helped me out and saved a lot of time. And mostly, it saved my back. I could raise the car 1-2 ft off the ground and not have to bend over at all.

Only troubleshooting was that it would not start. 45 minute story short, I had forgotten to plug the fuel pump relay back in the fuse block. After a guy at work figured that out, it fired right up and I topped it off with coolant.

The instructions were "fair", and that is all I can give them. It all worked out, but there were some steps it took me a bit to figure out from the photos. I am an engineer and a technical writer and in my opinion, those instructions could use a lot of work. Also, my fuel pump harness was not labeled at all, what plug was what, so basically had to guess which one was "1" and "2". Most confusing part was the 05-06 and the 07+ because they would show a photo from 05-06 during a step for 07+, which was no big deal, but things in the background didn't look like my car. Also, a lot of the photos were taken out of order, like they went back and took photos they needed.

It worked out though, and everything was accounted for, and I think I did pretty good. I did 95% of it on my own. Currently using the Whipple program from sending them my computer. In time, I'd like to get it on the dyno, but after the hit my finances took this week, it is going to be a little while.

Driving impressions: This is a totally different car and it is going to take me a while to get used to the power. I am in awe of the power it has. My favorite is on the freeway, keeping it in 5th gear and just pushing the pedal to the floor, or downshifting to 4th and doing the same thing. Just amazing.

I'd like to do a full write-up, noting exact steps in the instructions as I go, but it might take me a while to get that done. Hopefully one day.

Here are some photos.

DSCF8526.jpg

DSCF8527.jpg

DSCF8529.jpg

DSCF8530.jpg

DSCF8531.jpg

DSCF8533.jpg

Last edited:

Stang925

Established Member
pics look bad ass im glad everything went well for you, and you did it yourelf. let us know of your kills

blueovalfan

Established Member
I'am hoping you can do the full write up, I will be able to order mine in about a year or so.

xtreme02gt

1 Slow GT!
Established Member
BTW: What pulley are you running? Looks like it says 3.250 = ? What pound pulley is that? Mine is a 3.375 = 10lbs

Cobra-O

Established Member
I ordered the HO kit, so I am assuming it is 10psi, but that is odd that the pulley is smaller. It is 3.250, I'll have to ask Whipple about it. Mine is a gen 2, is yours a gen 1?

Cobra-O

Established Member
Yeah, I am going to talk to Whipple. I think they should have sent me the 10 psi because that is what it states in the Ford Racing write-up that I ordered it from.

Wild Stallion

Established Member
Hey Cobra-O and Xtreme02gt and anyone else running a blower on your S197 Im going to suggest that you guys look into getting yourself an upgaded tensioner. I have currently gone thru two stock ones, on my third. Problem is that the arm is to weak for the extra abuse that it is now recieving. It tends to get bent when doing high rpm shifts. I have a order into roush for their stronger unit. They beefed up the arm substantial difference between the two. Though id let you guys know. good luck and have fun.

xtreme02gt

1 Slow GT!
Established Member
Hey Cobra-O and Xtreme02gt and anyone else running a blower on your S197 Im going to suggest that you guys look into getting yourself an upgaded tensioner. I have currently gone thru two stock ones, on my third. Problem is that the arm is to weak for the extra abuse that it is now recieving. It tends to get bent when doing high rpm shifts. I have a order into roush for their stronger unit. They beefed up the arm substantial difference between the two. Though id let you guys know. good luck and have fun.

I am looking into the Thumper - RRR

But Cobra-O got a Thumper - RRR with his whipple...... Now that is CRAP!!! But o well...... And thanks for the heads up :beer:

Cobra-O

Established Member
I am looking into the Thumper - RRR

But Cobra-O got a Thumper - RRR with his whipple...... Now that is CRAP!!! But o well...... And thanks for the heads up :beer:

It didn't come with the kit, I purchased it used from a guy online. Very nice piece.

And I talked to Whipple, they shipped me the "new 2008 550hp H.O." kit. Said the kit and tune have been installed on a 05 for the past two years with no problems. I guess they have done a ton of development on it. We will see.

Last edited:

msgt46270

Established Member
That's real nice, but if you want to add more power you should get the intake setup from ST Motorsports. He makes the intakes himself. Here's a video of one of the cars he's done.
If your interested give him a call.

More info on his myspace.

[ame="http://videos.streetfire.net/video/whipple-with-ST-intake_144631.htm"]Dyno Video[/ame]

STCard004CustomSmall.gif

Last edited:

Cobra-O

Established Member
92 hp for an intake???? That is nuts.

But the baseline numbers don't make much sense with that much boost. Even at 13psi, it should be in the 500+ it seems. I could be wrong.

I have too much power for the car as it is. I need a new clutch and a dyno run before I do anything more.

Users who are viewing this thread