Whipple Mach 1

dclay

Established Member
Hey guys, I just recently bought a Mach 1. I previously had an 04 Cobra until a lady decided to run a red light and total my car. Anyways, I was wondering how much and what all I would need to put on a Whipple Supercharger on my Mach. 305 hp just isn't going to cut it. Thanks for any help.

03machme

go on and mach me
Established Member
forged internals for sure as well as a new intake and basicly all the parts needed for an eaton swap just a whipple instead of an eaton prolly some fuel mods as well as a mafia i would assume

BK04SVT

i bleed blue
Established Member
i'm in the same boat as you. I have to get rid of my cobra for financial purposes, and I am going to need a lot more power in my mach. Its going to be VERY expensive, I just have to do it slow unfortunately.

crazycarlo

Established Member
You could always just buy the KB kit for the mach. It might cost around the same but Im not certain so dont hold me to that.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Vortech and Procharger make HO kits for Machs that will get you to the 450 rwhp range, with other supporting mods you can see 11s no problem. It's not recomended to go above 10-12 psig of boost though unless your plans include an engine rebuild.

03DSGMach1

10's or Bust!
Established Member
I am starting my engine build but not going with the eaton...Whipple 2.3. I gave my buddy my Steg. Stage IV along with ported plenum and tb. After riding in another friends whipple'd cobra, it was a done deal. You will need everythng from the eaton swap to pull this off.A good set of pistons and rods with upgraded fuel system should do the trick, but I would go further and get an upgraded heat exchanger and intercooler resevoir, Afco and True Forge were my choices.

Last edited:

dclay

Established Member
if I decide to go with a whipple, where could I find a new lower intake manifold?.. I'm trying to add everything up and I can't find a anywhere to buy one from..

2Marauders

FordNut was already taken
Established Member
if I decide to go with a whipple, where could I find a new lower intake manifold?.. I'm trying to add everything up and I can't find a anywhere to buy one from..

Ford has 'em. About $700. Then you gotta have a bunch of other stuff (water tubes, o-rings, water adapter plate, heat exchanger). Adds up in a hurry. Best bet is to find a complete used assembly with the Eaton, then ditch the Eaton. Might even find the intercooler, pump, tank, and hoses with a kit like that.

dclay

Established Member
Ford has 'em. About $700. Then you gotta have a bunch of other stuff (water tubes, o-rings, water adapter plate, heat exchanger). Adds up in a hurry. Best bet is to find a complete used assembly with the Eaton, then ditch the Eaton. Might even find the intercooler, pump, tank, and hoses with a kit like that.

So basically what I am getting out of this thread is it would probably be cheaper and easier to go with a centrifugal supercharger. Looks like that's what I'm just going to end up doing, but I love the way the whipple looks. Oh well I guess.

Wishing4Cobra

Established Member
So basically what I am getting out of this thread is it would probably be cheaper and easier to go with a centrifugal supercharger. Looks like that's what I'm just going to end up doing, but I love the way the whipple looks. Oh well I guess.

yes thats correct. If you want to make big power, its going to be very expensive. Im waiting for funds on a built motor then im thinking about slapping a whipple or KB. Im running on 8psi with the eaton and dont plan on going anything above that.

2Marauders

FordNut was already taken
Established Member
Choices

ProCharger, Vortech, Kenne Bell kits. All 3 use a single drive belt for the blower and all accessories. Making big power WILL sling belts and break tensioners. Gotta pull off the head unit (and piping) to replace belts with the centrifugals, and they're really hot.

Eaton conversion, gotta find a donor. Full conversion will require timing cover swap. Special options are out there for alternator relocation which does not require timing cover swap but does require some fab work. Either way provides pretty easy access to blower belt for replacement. Eaton conversion can be upgraded to Whipple or KB.

ZincDude

Blah
Established Member
I am starting my engine build but not going with the eaton...Whipple 2.3. I gave my buddy my Steg. Stage IV along with ported plenum and tb. After riding in another friends whipple'd cobra, it was a done deal. You will need everythng from the eaton swap to pull this off.A good set of pistons and rods with upgraded fuel system should do the trick, but I would go further and get an upgraded heat exchanger and intercooler resevoir, Afco and True Forge were my choices.
Hey Ricky ticky.:banana:

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
My Mach has been Vorteched for over 75,000 miles. Knock on some serious wood I have not had issues with the motor yet. My last dyno run, over 2 years ago, I put down 480rwhp with an after cooled votech pushing 12psig of boost, headers, catless exhaust, stingers, 42lb injectors, fuel pumps and other mods. Since then I've added methanol injection, aluminum drive shaft, fly wheel, clutch, electric fuel pump. Haven't had it dynoed since but I'd guess over 500. The nice thing about a centri, it builds boost with rpms unlike the merciless whipple which makes instant boost, very hard on an engine down low.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Hey guys, I just recently bought a Mach 1. I previously had an 04 Cobra until a lady decided to run a red light and total my car. Anyways, I was wondering how much and what all I would need to put on a Whipple Supercharger on my Mach. 305 hp just isn't going to cut it. Thanks for any help.

For the money it would take to Whipple your Mach you might as well just get a Hellion. But like others have said- start with an Eaton swap then put the Whipple on. Unless you get forged internals you'll be limited to low boost.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Personally....especially since $$ is an issue.........this is what I would do.

Get a Forged stroker kit.....rebuild the motor with 9.5+CR, Midpipe, Catback, PHP Intake spacer, and find a used D1SC kit, with supporting hardware. Run 14PSI and you'll see similar power to what BK04SVT's Cobra makes. Toss in some 3.73s or 3.90s...with 31 spline setup...or at least 28 hardened mosiers......that will be one Nasty SOB.

Last edited:

dclay

Established Member
Personally....especially since $$ is an issue.........this is what I would do.

Get a Forged stroker kit.....rebuild the motor with 9.5+CR, Midpipe, Catback, PHP Intake spacer, and find a used D1SC kit, with supporting hardware. Run 14PSI and you'll see similar power to what BK04SVT's Cobra makes. Toss in some 3.73s or 3.90s...with 31 spline setup...or at least 28 hardened mosiers......that will be one Nasty SOB.

Well that sounds a shitton more expensive than just slapping a used vortech or something on it. I'm looking for about 450-500 hp to the wheels. The car has a 3 year warranty and only 22k miles on it, so I'm reluctant to go ALL out with the whole forging and all that.

here's what I'm thinking..

Supercharger with anywhere from 10-12 psi
maybe methanol injection???
Cam
Exhaust with headers
4:10's
Tune
(would also like some 10.5 rear wheels and lowering springs)

give me some input guys..

Would I need to upgrade pistons, rods, etc. to run 12 psi?
and if I get to the 450 mark would I need a new clutch or can the stock one handle it?

Thanks

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Well that sounds a shitton more expensive than just slapping a used vortech or something on it. I'm looking for about 450-500 hp to the wheels. The car has a 3 year warranty and only 22k miles on it, so I'm reluctant to go ALL out with the whole forging and all that.

Supercharger with anywhere from 10-12 psi
maybe methanol injection???
Cam
Exhaust with headers
Tune

Would I need to upgrade pistons, rods, etc. to run 12 psi?
and if I get to the 450 mark would I need a new clutch or can the stock one handle it?

Thanks

With the mods you are talking about you'd be hard pressed to find a dealership to honor that 3yr warranty to begin with. While the forging doesn't gaurantee absolute protection from catestrophic failure it certain is better than stock. Call it an insurance policy. Look at it this way- say you run 12 lbs of boost with supporting mods- you're looking 450+ which is the typical max RWHP for our cars, if you do have catestrophic failure you're going to have to at least replace the rotating assy and quite possibly more- which would be a LOT more expensive then just installing the forged internals prior to boosting.

As far as the 10.5 w/ lowering spgs- that's what I'm running right now- great traction with the 315's no rubbing issues.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
doing anything extreme will kill teh warranty, Drop in K and N and Catback if you dont' want to waste it.

Supercharger with anywhere from 10-12 psi - TOO much Boost for stock block
maybe methanol injection??? I HIGHLY suggest that...especially if no I/C
Cam - We have FOUR cams.....and you are looking at $1K for a good set. If you go with '96-01 cobra intakes, you are still looking at $3-500 PLUS cost of install AND cost of cam timing. (like the LT's below, a waste by comparison of staying with a stock short block, if you want to stay low $$.)
Exhaust with headers - If you're trying to save money..stay away from headers. ALthough they help with heat, they will be a good $1-1500 installed (that's the same as your gettign a forged assembly)
Tune

Would I need to upgrade pistons, rods, etc. to run 12 psi? (Yes...Hence going forged. ($1-1.3k for a stroker kit)

Thanks

If you dont' have the cash to forge it........that's cool....but you're still going about it wrong. IMO, your plan will kill the motor and (as USMCMACH says) end up doing a rebuild anyways...and may end up costing you $1-2k more, pending bore/hone/r and r the s.c kit AND re-tune.

I HIGHLY suggest staying way from 10-12 psi. IF you have to stay with the stock block (which I would start saving for forged internals if you do, no matter what route you go) this is my suggestion.

used P1SC kit (you can upgrade to D1 for abotu $1k later)
3.9" pulley (~8-9psi)
PHP spacer
Mid pipe
FGT fuel pump
A-pillar with Fuel and PSI gauge
Catback
Injectors
Diablo MAF.ia OR SCT2600
Spark PLugs
Dyno Tune. - BE EXTREMELY picky about who does it.

I bolded the problem I see with your kit. Going with LTs and Cams would not only assist in in your chances of motor failure, but the cost of those installed ALONE would cover a Forged stroker kit PLUS the install of them.

Oh and I wouldn't do 4.10s with FI unless you don't mind not using 1st gear. If this is primarily a track car, then ok....but if it is primarily street driven, I wouldnt'. 3.73s with hardened 28 mosers if you primarily street drive it.

ALso....gear change alone with would be roughly $600 installed......again, that is roughly half the price of a forged stroker kit.

I would suggest getting a new clutch although the stock one should suffice for a while. and there is NO IF getting 450 RWHP if you go your route....10-12 psi with the mods you are thinking.......500RWHP is more like it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread