Whipple or Suspension

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
So a bit back I planned to do a build on my Cobra... after getting the shopping list together I had some second thoughts and ended up buying a Viper instead. Well... its been 2 years and I want to spend some money on the Cobra again.
So I am thinking of either putting a Whipple 2.9 with a fuel system, ethanol, clutch, ect... OR doing some suspension/handling mods, Maximum Motorsports stuff, K-member, A-Arms, coil-overs, probably even bigger brakes.
Right now I am just on a pulley and ported blower, exhaust, tune, CAI, dual pass heat exchanger, some other stuff. The power from the Whipple would be a leap ahead. On the other hand, I think my Cobra handles poorly compared to my Viper.
I kind of want to play with the Cobra more. I haven't done any track events with it, but I am thinking about dabbling around in some different ones to see what I like.
I wont race the Viper, but I am willing to risk the Cobra a bit more now.

Wondering where I should put some money on this thing, what would you do?

RI-SVT

TVS Powered
Established Member
I say suspension, I have a vert and I think it handles and rides very good for a vert, check out my signature, big brake kit will a nice add on as well.

Last edited:

KEVINS

Established Member
I have never understood questions like this. You're asking strangers on a chat forum what mods you should get to make you happy.. WHAT???? DUH!

How about this: Put on your Big Boy pants and YOU figure out what would make you happy then do it.

Sorry, I'm not trying to come off like an ass although it reads like it but you already know you're going to get a multitude of opinions.

ks

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I have never understood questions like this. You're asking strangers on a chat forum what mods you should get to make you happy.. WHAT???? DUH!

How about this: Put on your Big Boy pants and YOU figure out what would make you happy then do it.

Sorry, I'm not trying to come off like an ass although it reads like it but you already know you're going to get a multitude of opinions.

ks

Nice post there way to contribute. He wants opinions so what why bother responding if your panties got all wadded up over a question?

OP if your going to track it suspension 1st so it will hook. If you plan more street than track do blower and fuel system and minor suspension work unless it’s done. Like a cover, diff bushings and subframe connectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I'd go suspension. My last car was a beast power wise. This car is simple. Upper on a stock eaton with the normal mods. With the FTBR bushings and coilovers all around I have a ton of fun with it. I'm a canyon carver. I'd like to do a track day at some point, but it won't be any time soon.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member

ks
Well, you are coming off like an ass. I was asking because it gives perspective. I am ultimately going to decide, but I might make an informed decision with some feedback. If you dont understand that, I think you need some life experience.

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
If you're going to go fast, you want to stop fast. Do the brakes first, then the suspension. Once you have a bad ass handling Cobra that can stop when you need it, go for the big blower and supporting mods. Bottom up build, a good foundation is the key.

MG0h3

Established Member
I don't road race and not sure I would with a cobra. I'd just get a c6Z or use your viper. I know Bruce at FTBR did with his car; not sure how crazy he had to get on cooling.

So I'd do a blower and E85. Especially if the car will be driven on the street most of the time. If you ever had a road race type of suspension you'd really struggle to put the power down, plus drag radials won't help. Guess that only matters if you considered doing the suspension and blower upgrade.

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
If you can buy a viper then you can do both suspension, blower and E-85 on the cobra. C’mon now brotha :)

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
I’d make her hook, handle, and stop. My ‘14 GT Track Pack is SO much more fun to drive now that I went to coil overs, Watts, etc. No comparison vs stock. My AED tune transformed the throttle response and added power for sure, but the suspension upgrades were a game changer for me.

94slowbra1

Established Member
I say do both!
But if you have to do it in stages id do suspension and brakes first. Build the foundation then the fun stuff, not that suspension isn't fun. I run the MM catalog and most FTBR stuff including the 14" brembo brake kit. Also run all the stifflers stuff. Car is now in a whole nother league. Power is useless you can't control it.
I just finished up the power with a 2.3 tvs, e85, fore return system ect..
If you are going to track it with big power you will need to look into the cooling system too.

willis414

Established Member
Id hit the maket section on this forum...seams like theres alot of great deals that might work for you and save money on the build. If the cost is your dilemma.

Users who are viewing this thread