Whipple Throttle Body

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfadchi

Established Member
Several people have had questions on how to install the electronics from the stock throttle body to the Whipple throttle body. Below you will find a quick write up on the switch. I give full credit to Whipple,because I am using their guide and pictures as a reference.

Disconnect ground cable from battery using an 8mm wrench.

Remove your cold air intake.

Disconnect electronic throttle control connector and TPS connector.

Electronic Throttle Control motor. Carefully pull red tab out, squeeze the connector and then pull the connector away from connection.
TPS1.jpg

Throttle Position Sensor. Carefully pull red tab out, squeeze the connector and then pull the connector away from connection.
TPS.jpg

Remove throttle body from supercharger inlet housing by removing the (4) bolts that secure TB to SC inlet.

Clean SC inlet to TB mounting flange surface, this will require silicone to seal at a later time.

Clean throttle body and set on a clean work bench.

Using a T20 torx wrench, remove the (2) torx bolts that secure the TPS sensor to stock throttle body.
TPSRemoval.jpg

Remove TPS sensor from stock throttle body, install TPS sensor to new mono blade throttle body. Utilize the supplied (2) 4mm x 10mm allen bolts. Install blue Loctite #242 to threads.

Using a T20 torx wrench, remove the (5) torx bolts that secure the electric motor cover to throttle body. When you pull the cover away from the throttle body, the throttle spring will come loose. You will reuse the spring and it’s plastic adapter.
MotorRemoval.jpg

Using a small flat head screw driver, carefully remove the inspection cover from electric motor cover.
cover.jpg

Remove the throttle spring and plastic adapter from throttle body. If this comes apart while removing cover from stock throttle body, then see picture below. The small end of the spring goes onto the plastic adapter. The spring locks into the plastic adapter with the tail of the spring locating into plastic adapter hole.
springingears.jpg

Install spring and plastic adapter to throttle body. **Note that the tail of the spring locates into the hole in the brass gear.
newgears.jpg

If oring fell from throttle body electric motor cover, reinstall using a very light amount of grease.
grease.jpg

Install electric motor cover to new mono blade throttle body. Utilize the (5) factory torx bolts to secure in place. Install blue Loctite #242 to threads.
MotorRemoval.jpg

I did not use the spring rotation tool, because I bought the T/B used so I did not have it. However, I used a tiny screwdriver to push down on the tab and rotate it counter clockwise until it clicked into the tabs. The throttle body should spring back easily not snap back. Once it's into place you should also be able to push the throttle blade back just a little and have it spring forward.
spring1.jpg

Using an Anerobic silicone such as Loctite #518, apply approx. 3mm bead around the throttle body mounting surface. Install throttle body to supercharger inlet housing using the factory (4) mounting bolts. If you are installing this throttle body on the Whipple 2.9L you will need to use shorter bolts than the factory ones. I believe Whipple provides them in the 2.9L kit.

Reinstall your connections and CAI, the TPS should be set so you do not need to worry about adjusting it. Install your tune and your ready to roll. This throttle body will not work with the factory tune.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread