Whisky

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Mostly single malts from Scotland but also the goods from Kentucky and Tenessee

Shannon don't kill me but damned if I could pass the Pepsi challenge if it was Jack-n-coke vs Makers-n-coke. Bought a pint of each and tried to figure which is better but I like em both. The Jack is gasoline if sipped neat but it adds back that bite when mixed.

Beginners to Scotch, try The Glenlivet

Scotch lovers, Caol Ila 18yr and LaPhroaig Qtr cask is as good as it gets from the dozen+ I have tried.

Blend fans Johnny Walker Black is pretty good.

Lis up your favorite liquor.:beer:

Whiskey City

Established Member
The reason you can't pass the "pepsi challenge" between Maker's Mark and Jack "brown piss in a bottle" Daniels is because you don't have a sophsticated pallet. Too many days under the hood of your various Cobras drinking Oberon. Your tongue is wrecked!

I'll be up there next week, I'll give you a whiskey education. We'll straighten this all out.

TacticalKaos

Established Member
Balavenie is one of the better single malts I've ever had. You can't really judge a single malt as their differences is what makes them good. An Islay single malt will taste almost medicinal because of the salt water air that affects the stills. Bulleit Bourbon is my bourbon of choice. Give it a shot next time your mixing stuff with Coke.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
TacticalKaos said:
Balavenie is one of the better single malts I've ever had. You can't really judge a single malt as their differences is what makes them good.

very true

Balvenie DoubleWood is one of my favorites. But I also really like the Laphroaig, hints of that salty/smoky peat taste.

Did not like Lagavulin though, or Georges fave, Oban

TacticalKaos

Established Member
What about Glenmorangie. That stuffs awesome. I saw a 35 year old bottle of Balavanie yesterday in the store. 400 bucks.

Jpjr

Established Member
postban said:
Blend fans Johnny Walker Black is pretty good.

Lis up your favorite liquor.:beer:

Black Label is always stocked at my house. It's my day-to-day Scotch. I'm just used to it and know that I can get it at just about any restaurant while traveling.

Of course... when someone else is paying my drink of choice is the Blue Label. It's as close to a sure thing as you are going to get with Whiskey.

Makers is my bourbon of choice straight up. Jack is what I use for mixing, primarily because its cheaper, which matters when your drowning the taste out with coke. For home, I have been known to keep a recent Meijer vintage of Evan Williams in the freezer for when my VIP guests stop by... :-D

illadvisedSnake

need supporting mods!!!!
Established Member
Maybe my pallet is destroyed also... I didn't think black label was all that great. Couldn't drink it, couldn't even finish the drink with coke... It sounds like I have some whisky's to sample. I haven't adventured off too far yet from whats avaialbe at your run of the mill liquor store yet, but I seem to like JD single barrel. Is this stuff priced over what its worth or what?

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
illadvisedSnake said:
...snip... Couldn't drink it, couldn't even finish the drink with coke... ...snip..

Yeah, Scotch and Coke:nono:
It just don't go together with anything except water or in extreme cases, ice.

JW Black I would classify as full flavored scotch, not something for you to try to start with. Seriously start with Glenlivet, small sips of it and chase with water. You can buy a tiny 50ml in most liquor stores of it and see if it is for you.
You will taste Honey and apple flavors in it. If you don't like it, stop. All the rest of them are stronger and nastier from a new whisy drinkers POV.
It was not for me for a long time, I have an extensive drinking career and only recently started liking this stuff.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Thouroughly enjoying a double Talisker 10yr and a splash of dasani as I type this BTW.

Jpjr

Established Member
postban said:
Yeah, Scotch and Coke:nono:
It just don't go together with anything except water or in extreme cases, ice.

JW Black I would classify as full flavored scotch, not something for you to try to start with. Seriously start with Glenlivet, small sips of it and chase with water. You can buy a tiny 50ml in most liquor stores of it and see if it is for you.
You will taste Honey and apple flavors in it. If you don't like it, stop. All the rest of them are stronger and nastier from a new whisy drinkers POV.
It was not for me for a long time, I have an extensive drinking career and only recently started liking this stuff.

Honey and apple? You are an official beer and whiskey snob. :-D

If you are drinking Johnny Walker Black here is what you will taste: Nothing. Very little flavor with a lot of kick. The first few gulps you will be wondering why you haven't dumped your drink down the drain in favor of the traditional Jack and Coke (or, Evan and Meijer Cola if you visited me during my Kalamazoo days). But all of the sudden, that last sip of scotch didn't seem so bad. Why? Because your throat and lips have started to go numb. That is what scotch does... it numbs your pipes. Before you know it you are loving life and can now all of the sudden "taste" the difference. That's right before you pass out...:rockon:

mjzilinski

Kenne Bell
Established Member
My pallet is in bad shape, too much cheap beer. I'll recommend those scotch's to my older bro who drinks that kinda stuff though.

Whiskey City

Established Member
You are all insane!

ones%20I%20drink.JPG

ones%20I%20dont.JPG

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Jpjr said:
Honey and apple? You are an official beer and whiskey snob. :-D

lol, snob it is then

Johnny Walker Black tastes of ocean salt and peat smoke sorta like a stronger Lophraig Quarter Cask that costs $20 less.

You must sip and slowly. Gulping any of these is bad. 90proof anything is low speed, high reverence beverage.
There is the numbness factor too. I notice that with most of them. Liquid novacaine to a degree.

glasscutout.gif
......to you!

According to shannon, frinds don't let friends drink JD
jack_daniels.jpg

TacticalKaos

Established Member
If it tastes harsh to you you're not ready for it.............if you kinda like it............you're a mild alcoholic. Nothing wrong with that.

Jpjr

Established Member
Notice how the fullest bottle in Whiskey's collection is the Evan Williams. What does that mean? He hasn't had any friends over in a while...

Users who are viewing this thread