White Sox deserve more credit

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
I'm getting a little tired of some of the national media's coverage of the Chicago White Sox. The White Sox played a great game last night [game 1] and still several of the stories I have been reading mention how Clemens was hurt and how the result would have been different if he was OK. Since when is a wild card team a favorite over the team that had the best record in the AL? The White Sox deserved to win game 1. They outplayed Houston in Offense, Defense, and pitching.

Any of you who have watched the Sox in the playoffs and during the season can see that Ozzie has put together an incredibly talented team with everyone on the team wanting to win the World Series. No clubhouse cancers allowed on Ozzie's team. Even Pierzynski has become a great team player. The Sox players are all willing to dive for a catch or throw their bodies around to make a play. The pitching staff is one of the best [if not the best] in the majors. 4 complete games in the ALCS is MIGHTY IMPRESSIVE. Starting with Posednik, the Sox have a solid hitting lineup that plays small ball when needed but can still hit home runs when necessary. Last night, the cleanup hitter BUNTED to move runners along.

I've been watching the White Sox this year and maybe that lets me see how great they are better than people who aren't from Chicago but I'm still upset that the national media doesn't appreciate how good the White Sox team has become. MAYBE winning the World Series will be enough to convince most people. :rollseyes

Go Sox! :rockon:

CHILLY WILLY

Established Member
flyn high again said:
I'm getting a little tired of some of the national media's coverage of the Chicago White Sox. The White Sox played a great game last night [game 1] and still several of the stories I have been reading mention how Clemens was hurt and how the result would have been different if he was OK. Since when is a wild card team a favorite over the team that had the best record in the AL? The White Sox deserved to win game 1. They outplayed Houston in Offense, Defense, and pitching.

Any of you who have watched the Sox in the playoffs and during the season can see that Ozzie has put together an incredibly talented team with everyone on the team wanting to win the World Series. No clubhouse cancers allowed on Ozzie's team. Even Pierzynski has become a great team player. The Sox players are all willing to dive for a catch or throw their bodies around to make a play. The pitching staff is one of the best [if not the best] in the majors. 4 complete games in the ALCS is MIGHTY IMPRESSIVE. Starting with Posednik, the Sox have a solid hitting lineup that plays small ball when needed but can still hit home runs when necessary. Last night, the cleanup hitter BUNTED to move runners along.

I've been watching the White Sox this year and maybe that lets me see how great they are better than people who aren't from Chicago but I'm still upset that the national media doesn't appreciate how good the White Sox team has become. MAYBE winning the World Series will be enough to convince most people. :rollseyes

Go Sox! :rockon:

Well said! It's ok though, let them doubt it. We all know that they are the best and have a heck of an amazing shot at winning this world series. The Cubs fans are the worst though. The only good thing about the Cubs is Wrigley.

For example: I guy I work with will not root for the Sox because he is a Cubs fan. Here is his logic "I am from teh North side not the south side." Well I find this funny because he is from CHICAGO not HOUSTON :loser:

66speed

Ya dun goofed
Established Member
You're right. The White Sox are a great team. As for the pitching staff....they are damn impressive, but imo, are not the best. Astros I think have the best pitching lineup. I was really impressed last night with jennks(sp?). Dude is a monster. Almost every pitch he threw to Bagwell was 100mph.

SVT4ME

Established Member
Ive seen a lot of the same press and there just finding an angle to make it more than it is. I agree that the sox's have had a great season and deserve some respect

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Game 2-

Well, it's happened again. Bottom of the 7th inning... On the play before Paul Konerko hit a 2 out GRAND SLAM home run, Germaine Dye was hit by a pitch according to the home plate ump. He took first to load the bases and Konerko hit the home run to give the White Sox a 6-4 lead. The announcers are convinced the ball hit the bat instead of Dye's arm so the focus of the game is now on the hit batsman/foul ball rather than the GRAND SLAM that Konerko hit.

The White Sox are the Rodney Dangerfields of the sporting world. :-D

CHILLY WILLY

Established Member
flyn high again said:
Game 2-

Well, it's happened again. Bottom of the 7th inning... On the play before Paul Konerko hit a 2 out GRAND SLAM home run, Germaine Dye was hit by a pitch according to the home plate ump. He took first to load the bases and Konerko hit the home run to give the White Sox a 6-4 lead. The announcers are convinced the ball hit the bat instead of Dye's arm so the focus of the game is now on the hit batsman/foul ball rather than the GRAND SLAM that Konerko hit.

Blah Blah Blah...just like the Umps that gave Bagwell first base in the first game after he was hit by a pitch from Jose. You know the one where Bagwell never even tried to move out of the way :poke: This was against the rules

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
flyn high again said:
Game 2-

Are you seriously crying because of the attention your team isn't getting? They (announcers) do the same thing to EVERY team. When one call is questionable, they're gonna dispute it.

The issue still remains, "what if" the ump would have called the correct call. Maybe Konerko wouldn't have been up to bat to belt that homer... Its all what ifs, and if you say you've been watching you'd realize that thats what announcers have the most to talk about.

Chicago is a decent team, I think everyone sees that. Just because you're a Chicago fan and the Sox aren't getting ridiculous attention, I don't think that warrants any whining.

We'll see how the home field advantage helps the Astros. These have been damn good games though, definite nail biters.

Still rootin' for the 'Stros! :pepper: :pepper:

SHOE

Boo-frickety-hoo
Established Member
The White Sox are an excellent team, but how many extra chances and controversial calls can one team get in a single postseason. The umpires need to start getting some calls right. You can't give teams like that extra chances or they'll make you pay.

As far as Bagwell not trying to get out of the way - all you have to do is flinch. By rule, that classifies as an attempt to get out of the way. If the umpire rules that you flinched, he can award you the base. There is nothing in the rule that says you have to hit the dirt or dive out of the path of the thrown ball. A smart player will just turn and let it hit him. By turning, he has made an attempt to avoid the baseball. It's a judgement call by the umpire. The type of pitch can play a part in it too. If a breaking ball comes into you, the umpire may determine that the trajectory of the pitch was the culprit and the player didn't recognize the pitch in time to avoid it. In other words, the player saw a fastball inside that was actually a cutter that tailed into him before he could react. Hence, he is hit without moving and awarded the base. Judgement call.

Anyway, it seems that the Baseball gods are shining on the White Sox. Missed call and then a grand slam; no homers all season and Podsednik (sp.) hits a game-winner. Give me a break. The Astros don't stand a chance at this rate. I halfway expect Oswalt to come down with the flu or cut his throwing hand on a broken mirror before tomorrow. Geez !

Tarp02GT

I LOVE JESSICA ALBA
Established Member
I think no matter what happens this is and will be a good WS. Even if it were to end in a sweep. Its nice to see these 2 teams in it. Just your blue collar teams that made it count when they needed it most. Astros having never been and the Sox having waited so long to go back. Congrats to both. I know that unless you win it then you feel like you fell short, which you do. However no matter who wins these clubs should be happy with thier seasons and I am sure they will.

P.S. GO ASTROS!!

01svtL

Established Member
Hahah, funny you bitch about the Sox never getting any love. If you watched any of the NLDS or NLCS coverage on ESPN, all they talked about was how either Atlanta or St. Louis messed up, not how the Astros were just flat out playing better. Stros are never shown any love. Both teams are really good and equally derserving teams. It's a good series so far. I just hope we do better at home. Roy O baby!

Z-COBRA

Bling & Zing
Established Member
The White Sox deserve all the credit in the world and since my Sox, the Red kind aren't in it (Got beat by a better team) I'm rootin for them all the way
as you guy's have been waiting longer then we did for your braggin rights.
:beer:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
My daughter has turned in to HUGE baseball aficionado!!!

And even I am enjoying watching the games... though it's been a while since I followed "ball sports"...

GO ASTROS!!! :thumbsup:

GO HOKIES!

Established Member
I've been a random White sox fan since I was elementary school and I'm 23 now. I used to be obsessed with Frank Thomas during his prime. Ever since the first month I watched this team play, I had this feeling that this team had something special about them. Each player has something different to add to both offense and defense. Its unbelievable what Ozzie has done in only 2 years as Manager.

01svtL

Established Member
GO HOKIES! said:
I've been a random White sox fan since I was elementary school and I'm 23 now. I used to be obsessed with Frank Thomas during his prime. Ever since the first month I watched this team play, I had this feeling that this team had something special about them. Each player has something different to add to both offense and defense. Its unbelievable what Ozzie has done in only 2 years as Manager.

Yea I hear that. I was obsessed w/ him too when I was in elementary, and I'm 21 in two months. I had his jersey, a sox hat, and the "Big Hurt" shoes. But, when it comes down to it, I'm an Astros fan no matter what ....

Users who are viewing this thread