Who actually likes their jobs?

What do you think of your job?

• Couldn't find a better place to work at.

Votes: 51 56.7%
  • It pays the bills.

Votes: 30 33.3%
  • I dread going into work.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I'd rather jump in front of a train before going back there.

Votes: 3 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

spectreman

Established Member
My Dad was a small business owner so I got my start in retail back in the 70's and absolutely absolutely hated every minute of it. When he decided to retire, he hoped the kids would buy the business from him & grow it. None of us wanted it. We watched him work his arse off, 80-90 hr weeks, often to just get by. No way, no how. I swore I'd never work like that.

While in college, I thought I wanted to be a lawyer. Thank God that didn't work out for me. I now know I would not have enjoyed that career. But it led to my first career.

As a college student, I developed an interest in law enforcement & landed a job as a reserve police officer in a small beach side community in NJ. I knew that was the job for me. My then-sergeant talked me into going south, FLA specifically, where I next landed a full time gig as a flatfoot in a mid-sized city. Spent three decades there moving around the agency and up the ranks, retiring as a captain. Awesome job & zero complaints from that career.

Along the way I completed my bachelors' and then my masters' degrees. After I retired, the degrees led me to my first teaching job at a private college, teaching criminal justice coursework, primarily to fellow LEO's. I really enjoyed that and it expanded my package.

4 years later I landed another gig at a different college, running a large academic division which specializes in law enforcement and corrections training. Finished my doctorate too. Been there for 4 years now & every day I walk in there I'm smiling and every day I leave I'm still smiling.

So yeah, I'm a lucky guy. Have really enjoyed my adult careers and wouldn't change much of anything.
Lee

Dusten

Established Member
I enjoy aspects of it. I enjoy training and mentoring young sailors. I love the leadership and responsibility that I get to use. I really hate how pc it's becoming. I'm glad I'm due to retire.

Coiled03

Established Member
I enjoy the people I work with.....and that's it. I hate the work I do.

I work for a large corporation that likes to tout how well they treat their employees. But, everything they do is focused on shareholders.

In any event, I don't feel like I can leave. There's nothing else remotely comparable in my area, and I have a 6 year old daughter. It's more important to me to be here for her than to, selfishly, leave the area for a different job.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Service advisor for a small Nissan dealership. Love the people I work with. All the advisors and techs get along great for the most part which Is rare. Don't mind the customers when they buy stuff. But man, the days interent warriors come in telling me what's wrong with their car I just want to kick them in the head and walk out. I do have an interview coming up soon to be an an apprentice heavy equipment operator. So if I get the job I'll be happy to leave my current place.

Russo

Unofficial Glass Tech
Established Member
I love mine. I'm a 2nd Shift Process Tech. For a plastics company we make molding for Automotive glass company's. Only things I don't like is benifits but that should be changing for the better I hope since the owner sold the place. Also I'm a manager and the accountability and laziness of some people get aggravating. Especially when they don't want to take responsibility or accountability. I've busted my ass to get were I'm at. I'm great full for my boss giving me the opportunity during the 08 recession. I started at the bottom and worked my way up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What company is that? GGG, Precision, OETech?

SVTPete83

Established Member
Count me in as a love his job guy. I have been flipping burgers for 21 years now for the same company. The company is family owned and really takes care of its people. Oversee several locations now and love working to grow and develop the people I work with. It is very satisfying work and I feel I am over compensated for what I do. I love going to work and am proud to say I made a career out of making hamburgers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Stanger00

Established Member
Count me in as a love his job guy. I have been flipping burgers for 21 years now for the same company. The company is family owned and really takes care of its people. Oversee several locations now and love working to grow and develop the people I work with. It is very satisfying work and I feel I am over compensated for what I do. I love going to work and am proud to say I made a career out of making hamburgers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

That's amazing! Sounds like the burger joint I used to work at when I was a teenager before enlisting in the Air Force. Worked at store 120 in Pinole. I started there in 2001 and left in 2003.

SirShaun

Established Member
I recently had an eye opening experience. I had never lost my job before. I was laid off in Novemeber. I was starting to hate the place I worked for though, so not a complete loss. I wish I would of been more proactive in finding something else those last few months. I gave so much time/thought/care to the place, even got an certificate of appreciation within the past year. Never ending management personnel changes and the feeling of starting over will make you hate a place quick. I watched a once great place to work, go down the drain due to poor management decisions. I doubt the company will be around much longer.

I had this false understanding that finding another IT job would be easy. It has not been easy at all. I've thought I've had a job at least 3 times now, but the communication just severs at the last moment. IT recruiters are the worst, and I am dealing with them daily. It seems no one hires directly anymore, and you have to go through these recruiters who have little to no IT knowledge to get in front of someone.

I'm a try hard when it comes to my job. My job is something in which I take pride in being great at, and typically I am a love my job type of guy. Maybe I'll learn to love again with my next one haha.

In hindsight, if your unhappy do everything you can to make the move, before the move leaves you unemployed. Life is too short to be miserable 8+ hours a day.

Back to learning and studying for the AWS CSA Associates cert, I go.

C-Tidda

Established Member
I hate going to my job. The union is weak, the supervisors, upper management and HR have no respect for the employees. It pays well but still it's not worth the mental stress.
I'm in school for Aircraft Mechanics at the moment, when I'm done I'm leaving that job with the quickness.

Awtblo

03 OW Cobra
Established Member
It pays the bills, Master Ford Tech at a local dealer.

I hate non-paying warranty work, all the piddly-ass complaints for squeaks/rattles, generally just anything you can't duplicate. Along with the general consensus of "Do it for the customer" (for free of course).

T-roy

I'm a senior blaster at an explosives company. I love that I have a career that isn't something everyone can do. I get to blow rock quarries up for a living!!! Who wouldn't love that?!?!

Sent from my iPad using the svtperformance.com mobile app

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Meh, can't wait to get over all the bull shit no matter where you work, and I've done a ton of different stuff in my life. That said, it's family owned and I do make descent money.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I recently had an eye opening experience. I had never lost my job before. I was laid off in Novemeber. I was starting to hate the place I worked for though, so not a complete loss. I wish I would of been more proactive in finding something else those last few months. I gave so much time/thought/care to the place, even got an certificate of appreciation within the past year. Never ending management personnel changes and the feeling of starting over will make you hate a place quick. I watched a once great place to work, go down the drain due to poor management decisions. I doubt the company will be around much longer.
I had this false understanding that finding another IT job would be easy. It has not been easy at all. I've thought I've had a job at least 3 times now, but the communication just severs at the last moment. IT recruiters are the worst, and I am dealing with them daily. It seems no one hires directly anymore, and you have to go through these recruiters who have little to no IT knowledge to get in front of someone.
I'm a try hard when it comes to my job. My job is something in which I take pride in being great at, and typically I am a love my job type of guy. Maybe I'll learn to love again with my next one haha.
In hindsight, if your unhappy do everything you can to make the move, before the move leaves you unemployed. Life is too short to be miserable 8+ hours a day.
Back to learning and studying for the AWS CSA Associates cert, I go.
That sucks.
Good luck going forward.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
I like my job. I run quality control at a small machine shop which is a smaller company of a huge oil field company. I could not work for better people.
I recently had an eye opening experience.
I went through that. Moved into our freshly built home, got married 4 months after, then walked out a few weeks after that. The recruiter thing does suck. I couldnt even get an interview when my old position was hiring. I did not miss a check though as i took any job available in the 20ish months i was out of my field.

Last edited:

JP1200

It pays the bills, Master Ford Tech at a local dealer.

I hate non-paying warranty work, all the piddly-ass complaints for squeaks/rattles, generally just anything you can't duplicate. Along with the general consensus of "Do it for the customer" (for free of course).

As a dealership controller for both domestic and exotic dealership i have always had a lot of respect for techs. Lots of hours, dirty work, tough to get respect, and constant bs from the sales side. All that and generally not a ton of drama comes out of service.

As for me, I started in public accounting as an auditor. I couldn't stand the work or the hours so I started looking. About a year later, just when I was about to give up I got an opportunity with my current employer. I enjoy the industry and the work is better than what I used to do, but the hours are really starting to pile up. I generally work 12 hours M-F then throw in another 8-12 sprinkled through the weekend. Pay is awesome though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ohio Snake

Established Member
I still love what I do. 22 years as an independent Investment Advisor and insurance agent. I own the firm and have two great administrative assistants I rely on.
Prior to my career change, I was an Assistant Manager for a major jewelry store. Hated retail, the long hours, grumpy clients and no life.
Today, I work 9-5 M-F in winter, the 9-4PM M-Thu and by appointment request on Fri until noon. Never looked back at retail and still despise it today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Burn'nRubber

Established Member
I started working for a grocery chain my sophomore year of college and worked my way through school. I never thought it would turn into a career. After 9 years and many positions with the company I now manage one of their stores. I have 3 assistant managers and 115 associates. Pay is good and I enjoy the associates and customers but it is certainly stressful. Unfortunately most days lately have me wondering if this is what I want to do....

Kewlv8

Established Member
We all love our Jobs, only work 6 months a year, take home 3 large after taxes. This is SVT!

tumblr_mvyj69kVop1rj2phto1_500.gif

SVTPete83

Established Member
That's amazing! Sounds like the burger joint I used to work at when I was a teenager before enlisting in the Air Force. Worked at store 120 in Pinole. I started there in 2001 and left in 2003.

Our burger joints are one in the same! Small world man! I was just at 120 last week checking in on a manager I know there. I am the DM of all the stores from mill valley to ukiah, and I oversee the Napa store as well. Let me guess. Kieth Kirkland was your store manager?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread