Who else has given up two wheels?

MG01GT

Established Member
Man I'm just glad to hear your ok. I have been very lucky in the fact that the only time I have been down was a low side at Chuckwalla.... I had someone passing me way to close on my outside line and I ran the rumble strips way to fast and washed out my front end. With that said I have had very limited street time the last couple of years. But I rode my best friends X Dival a couple times and man do I miss going on a cruise out to Palomar or the beach. I will always be more of the track rider, but Ill never shy away from the street. I see that your in AZ. Look up Yamaha Champions Rider School. They have a winter installation out your way, and IMO is hands down the best instruction in general when it comes to riding and safety as a whole. Nick in a stellar instructor, and if you do a two up ride with him(no homo)you will be ****ing down right amazed at what the dude can do with a bike. In fact if all goes as planned he and YCRS will be the template the Marine Corps uses for their new motorcycle program as we have the highest motorcycle incidents across all the services. Give your self sometime to rest and recover and let the bike sit a little while and when your ready get back on her. I was always told that when you loose respect for the machine you gotta put the helmet and gloves on the shelf for a while. I don't think you have that issue, but it could help. Anyways sorry for the long rant.... two wheels are my passion. Stay safe, shiny side up, AGATT and hope you recover fast!

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Man I'm just glad to hear your ok. I have been very lucky in the fact that the only time I have been down was a low side at Chuckwalla.... I had someone passing me way to close on my outside line and I ran the rumble strips way to fast and washed out my front end. With that said I have had very limited street time the last couple of years. But I rode my best friends X Dival a couple times and man do I miss going on a cruise out to Palomar or the beach. I will always be more of the track rider, but Ill never shy away from the street. I see that your in AZ. Look up Yamaha Champions Rider School. They have a winter installation out your way, and IMO is hands down the best instruction in general when it comes to riding and safety as a whole. Nick in a stellar instructor, and if you do a two up ride with him(no homo)you will be ****ing down right amazed at what the dude can do with a bike. In fact if all goes as planned he and YCRS will be the template the Marine Corps uses for their new motorcycle program as we have the highest motorcycle incidents across all the services. Give your self sometime to rest and recover and let the bike sit a little while and when your ready get back on her. I was always told that when you loose respect for the machine you gotta put the helmet and gloves on the shelf for a while. I don't think you have that issue, but it could help. Anyways sorry for the long rant.... two wheels are my passion. Stay safe, shiny side up, AGATT and hope you recover fast!

Thanks man. Appreciate it.

I never got a chance to go to chuck but always wanted to. I have actually been to YCRS twice now. Lot of my good friends are instructors at AMP and it certainly helps. I think if I never took that YCRS course I probably would have panic braked and went over the bars.

I have feeling after my 85 build is complete I will want to get back on the track again but for now, im done with it. I miss the track day environment, everyone was so cool and helpful.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I gave up my Turbo Hayabusa and I feel a lot better overall. I always had this underlying feeling that I was gonna die on it.

I have been an accident investigator for the last 20 years and have been my share of fatal motorcycle accidents and their not pretty. most were the fault of the rider but at least 20% were not.

I don't even miss it. I prefer the car toy these days..... at least I know I won't lose a limb or two going out enjoying it.

MG01GT

Established Member
The X Dival, Fontana and Chuckwalla
969822da79f31e0ff29ca5bccedec528.jpg
6896f153eb3cd3adf120b43cac19ad76.jpg
0c7d4c2f11428ab68ab6d96363e8a2b5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

MG01GT

Established Member
Thanks man. Appreciate it.

I never got a chance to go to chuck but always wanted to. I have actually been to YCRS twice now. Lot of my good friends are instructors at AMP and it certainly helps. I think if I never took that YCRS course I probably would have panic braked and went over the bars.

I have feeling after my 85 build is complete I will want to get back on the track again but for now, im done with it. I miss the track day environment, everyone was so cool and helpful.

Chuck isn't really a fast track, more of a technical track and it gets hot as balls out there lol. But its a lot of fun and the bowl in a full right hand tuck makes you feel like your Rossi lol.

That's awesome you have been twice! Once I get a new bike I'm going to go again and get back at it with YCRS. The things you learn in that course really do apply real world, so I'm glad to hear it helped you and saved you from something much worse.

I miss the track day environment as well. I always found that people are always willing to help, mentor and just are friendly and as good as people you could imagine. Hopefully you get back up on it. If you ever find your way out to chuckwalla hit me up!

scott_0

Established Member
I started riding in 05 got to where I was riding back roads pretty aggressively, decided I was gonna get hurt so I sold my bike in 2010, fast forward to this past July I got the itch again, ended up buying a 2007 Triumph speed triple, always loved them for their more upright comfortable ride and the naked look, in one month of riding I had two close calls which was too much for me, both idiots had their faces in cell phones, it is just too dangerous for me, I have a guy waiting for better weather to pick the speed triple, sold it for a loss, but whatever, the money is going towards a blower for my car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs

DSGCOBRA24

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I gave up sport bikes. I grew up riding dirt bikes then at 16 I got an r6, rode it to school everyday for a year and a half (80 miles both ways) until I sold it to buy a car. Didn’t do much riding from then to now (I’m 30 now). I bought a new 18’ road glide last week. Ive been wanting one for awhile and didn’t want to get a sports bike because I feel they’re too dangerous now. I have no desire to go fast on two wheels anymore that’s why I got a Harley instead.

CE54CE91-2BFB-4874-AAD6-7AF6BC839630.jpeg

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
I can relate. I scared myself at least once almost every time I threw a leg over my sportbike. Although 50% of those moments were my own doing, the end result would have been the same.
Yeah, for me anyway, those bikes make you do dumb shit. It was almost impossible for me to ride it normally.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I rode back in HS when my dad had his Harley and Honda CBR1000. These last few years I was getting an itch to buy a bike for my daily commute until I had my daughter. I would love to have one to ride around town on, but the desire to own one isn't there anymore. I'll stick to dirt bikes once she's old enough to start riding to get my fix in.

I did the same after my 1st daughter was born, the desire to ride on street just went away. I only ride dirt bikes and sport quads these days.

spectreman

Established Member
I've been riding for 40+ years- it's in my blood and I don't think I'll ever give it up. My only real complaint is that I don't get to ride often enough.

I'm always ATTGATT. I ride w/in my abilities. I don't speed (excessively). I NEVER drink & ride. And I always ride tactically- the head is on a swivel, I'm not blue-toothed so I'm not distracted by music, phone calls, etc., and I use the bike's agility, speed and braking to stay out of trouble. Lastly, I assume all cagers are out to kill me. W/God's good graces, I've only ever been down twice, (knock wood!) both relatively minor, both my fault.

I can understand why some folks want to & don't ride, or those who stopped riding; it's a decision filled w/risk. I've long since accepted the risk.

My current ride- an '11 Kawasaki Ninja 1000

2011d2c9-f029-4e37-add7-3badc1f70a12
attachment.jpg

Last edited:

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member
I've been riding for 40+ years- it's in my blood and I don't think I'll ever give it up. My only real complaint is that I don't get to ride often enough.

I'm always ATTGATT. I ride w/in my abilities. I don't speed (excessively). I NEVER drink & ride. And I always ride tactically- the head is one a swivel, I'm not blue-toothed so I'm distracted by music, phone calls, etc., and I use the bike's agility, speed and braking to stay out of trouble. Lastly, I assume all cagers are out to kill me. W/God's good graces, I've only ever been down twice, both relatively minor, both my fault.

I can understand why some folks want to & don't ride or those who stopped riding; it's a decision filled w/risk. I've long since accepted the risk.

My current ride- an '11 Kawasaki Ninja 1000

2011d2c9-f029-4e37-add7-3badc1f70a12
View attachment 1457676

Nice bike! Haven't ridden (or had possession) of mine for over a year now.

20161004_152735.jpg

08mojo

Established Member
I gave up riding on the street. Too many idiots and too easy to break the law. I only had a 600, and it didn't start to get fun until 60mph. That's when the power kicked in; I can't imagine how easy it would be to get in trouble on a liter bike.

I stick to the dirt now: no rules, no cars. You are, pretty much, always responsible for your crashes. That's a lot easier for me to deal with vs the street.

Blackoyote

Established Member
I gave up street riding a few years back, so I try to get to the track once/month (got 9/12 in 2017!).

For the times in between, I would go nuts if I didn't have my dirt bikes to go rip on.

I've considered picking up a Grom or Z125 as a commuter bike, as I only take back roads to work now...just still nervous about all the idiots and deer.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
I have been on the fence for quite some time now about giving it up. I have rode for years and enjoyed it with my wife. We now have two young children, so it takes some planning just to go out on a quick ride.

I had a close call where I almost got sideswiped on a backroad about a year and a half ago that has sidelined my riding as well. I had my close call, got home and then an hour after my wife called and said her 30 year old bro in law had a massive heart attack and wasn’t sure if he was going to live. He had two small children as well. This on top of my close call just made me not want to ride for some reason. I kept the close call quiet until my wife noticed I pretty much stopped riding cold turkey. I then told her I had a close call the day her brother had a heart attack and never said anything because I felt like I would have been taking away from his situation. Maybe that sounds weird....it’s hard to explain I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread