Who has a Valentine 1 ?

BrianR

Mild Mannered
Established Member
How did you install it (placement)? Do you use the remote display option? How do you like it?

Have to give the wife my Xmas options...

Thanks,

Brian

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
I have a Valentine 1. Been using it for a couple years now. It hangs right in the middle of the windshield right below the rear view mirror. I like giving the rear receiver a full unobstructed view out the back window. ;-) Best damn radar detector made IMHO. It's paid for itself 10 times over at least! I have the optional remote display too. Don't use it too often, only at night of course. You have some specific questions concerning this unit?

U.M.

Last edited:

BrianR

Mild Mannered
Established Member
Originally posted by Uncle Meat
I have a Valentine 1. Been using it for a couple years now. It hangs right in the middle of the windshield right below the rear view mirror. I like giving the rear receiver a full unobstructed view out the back window. ;-) Best damn radar detector made IMHO. It's paid for itself 10 times over at least! I have the optional remote display too. Don't use it too often, only at night of course. You have some specific questions concerning this unit?

U.M.
I would like to have it as indiscreet as possible. I assume the pony shade above the mirror would block a lot of laser and/or reduce the radar signals. Visor mounting looks like it would obstruct the rear and possibly the front.

If it didn't have rear sensor, I would put it in front of the mirror and use the remote. I think you have it in the best spot as far as functionalilty goes, just wondering if there was any "stealthier" :coolman: mounting places?

Thanks...

cobragb

Ford/Mustang Nut
Established Member
I have mine mounted above the mirror behind the black dots and have had no problems with reception. It works great.

dino

Established Member
So far the best detector I have had period
I mount right under rearveiw mirror
Works awesome

JClifton

Uhh it's stock!
Established Member
I love mine... same as you guys... right under the rear view mirror. It's saved me from countless "fees".

-- Jaret

B-O-B'03

Established Member
Originally posted by cobragb
I have mine mounted above the mirror behind the black dots and have had no problems with reception. It works great.

I think the only problem with putting it behind the dots is reduced laser reception, not that any laser detector is going to save you.

I have mine below the mirror too. I agree with the notion that this is the best detector hands down.

Once you have used the bogey counter and directional arrows you will never want any other kind.

I might wire mine to the power in the mirror and get rid of the coiled cord.

-Brian

trolls56

Established Member
I have one I love it its paid for itself already too. Great for the 50 mile drives to work back in illinois. Have it direct wired in my mustang its great. I moved out here to las vegas and it doesnt work as good cuz it picks up everything. But for sure the best one i have ever had. Oh and i have mine under my mirror too.

Cobra'03

Established Member
Originally posted by BrianR
I would like to have it as indiscreet as possible. I assume the pony shade above the mirror would block a lot of laser and/or reduce the radar signals. Visor mounting looks like it would obstruct the rear and possibly the front.

If it didn't have rear sensor, I would put it in front of the mirror and use the remote. I think you have it in the best spot as far as functionalilty goes, just wondering if there was any "stealthier" :coolman: mounting places?

Thanks...
Radio waves are not optical and will not be affected by the dots - Laser will.

I use one with concealed display, but have it mounted near the driver's A-pillar on the dash. The display is down on the lower dash panel visible through steering wheel spokes. This is the stealthiest mounting I could come up with - higher is a but better, but only for over the hill detection.

I am an EE, and have owned Mike Valentine products since 1978. I have not had a speeding ticket in 24 years, and baby, I have tried. great product, electrically it is a more advanced design than anything else out there.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra'03
Radio waves are not optical and will not be affected by the dots - Laser will.

I agree with your statement, but what if those "Dots" have some type of metal in them? I know that sounds crazy, but I read somewhere about certain makes/models of cars whose windshields have a compound sandwiched between the glass that actually reduces the effectiveness of a radar detector. I can't remember what model cars they were though? I also read that certain types of window tint can cause problems too. If these "Dots" are made with a metallic based compound of some sort, wouldn't that reflect some of the radar signal away from the detector's receiver? Just a thought...

I use one with concealed display, but have it mounted near the driver's A-pillar on the dash.

Wouldn't that decrease the amount a rear reception available to the unit?

Mine stays in the windshield right where it works the best. With tinted windows most folks looking in from the outside never see it anyway. Now at night it's a different story! That thing lights up like a discothèque! That's what the remote display is for...

U.M.

Last edited:

B-O-B'03

Established Member
I don't think the dots have any metal in them, I have mounted my toll tag ( a great thing in Texas, pays your highway toll as you drive through the plaza @ 100 MPH :eek: ) and the dots do not interfere with it.

Originally posted by Uncle Meat
I agree with your statement, but what if those "Dots" have some type of metal in them? I know that sounds crazy, but I read somewhere about certain makes/models of cars whose windshields have a compound sandwiched between the glass that actually reduces the effectiveness of a radar detector. I can't remember what model cars they were though? I also read that certain types of window tint can cause problems too. If these "Dots" are made with a metallic based compound of some sort, wouldn't that reflect some of the radar signal away from the detector's receiver? Just a thought...

Wouldn't that decrease the amount a rear reception available to the unit?

Mine stays in the windshield right where it works the best. With tinted windows most folks looking in from the outside never see it anyway. Now at night it's a different story! That thing lights up like a discothèque! That's what the remote display is for...

U.M.
:eek:

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
I have the new 1.8 Valentine and the remote too. It has only been on duty for a month now but has done yeoman work.

I find I am more comfortable now than before I had it.

Orange Poison

Established Member
I gots one too....

My goes off all the time...usually for X-band kind of stuff....I haven't gotten any real detections on it yet like Laser or K-band radars. Then again, I've only had it for a couple of weeks.

03rocks

Established Member
Hey Brian, are you going to get one installed before the weekend. I'll follow you.

From what everybody is saying it sounds like one of these would be a great tool to battle the KCPD.

ZXnVS

Established Member
Originally posted by 03rocks
Hey Brian, are you going to get one installed before the weekend. I'll follow you.

From what everybody is saying it sounds like one of these would be a great tool to battle the KCPD.

Better hope they don't use laser up there. I got my V1 in anticipation of buying my Cobra, and got nailed by the Oregon State Patrol while driving the car home from Portland. He used laser and I didn't have a prayer.

Not dissing the V1; nothing can save your butt from an instant-on laser. I just didn't think OSP would have such high-tech toys. Our tax dollars at work...

BrianR

Mild Mannered
Established Member
Originally posted by 03rocks

Not this trip, I have to wait for Santa....:cryying:

Brian

Fred G

Established Member
Hey Guys,
I love mine… Have it mounted on top of the right side of the rear view mirror. I put a small strip of Velcro on the top edge of the mirror and a corresponding strip on the bottom of the V1. I removed the suction cups from the mount bracket and put another strip of Velcro on the front of the mount, with a small corresponding piece on the w/shield hidden in the horse. With the wiring running up inside the right pillar molding and into the front edge of the headliner, I found the V1, sitting on top the right side of the r/view mirror, to be the least obvious method of mounting. BTW it works mint.

BrianR

Mild Mannered
Established Member
Originally posted by ZXnVS
Better hope they don't use laser up there. I got my V1 in anticipation of buying my Cobra, and got nailed by the Oregon State Patrol while driving the car home from Portland. He used laser and I didn't have a prayer.

Not dissing the V1; nothing can save your butt from an instant-on laser. I just didn't think OSP would have such high-tech toys. Our tax dollars at work...
I havn't read anything good about laser detection. I understand how you got nailed, instant on radar is the same situation if someone in front of you doesn't trigger it, but, did the unit go off when he nailed you?

Brian

RHEACER

Established Member
They can have my V1 when they pry it from my cold dead hand. It has saved me from more tickets than I care to count. I have had mine at least 4 years. Great unit and well engineered. I gave one to my brother several years ago at Christmas and he still thanks me.

ZXnVS

Established Member
Originally posted by BrianR
I havn't read anything good about laser detection. I understand how you got nailed, instant on radar is the same situation if someone in front of you doesn't trigger it, but, did the unit go off when he nailed you?

Brian

Yes, it detected the laser but of course by then it was too late. The V1 has saved me from some radar tickets, but I don't think anything can save you from laser. With instant-on radar there's a good chance you'll pick up the signal from another car getting nailed, but with laser the odds of getting any 'scatter' are pretty much zero.

Users who are viewing this thread