Who has a VMP Gen3 TVS

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I wen't through a lot for sure, for some reason my calibrater at Lund couldn't make anything work correctly and I was getting very pissed. The twin 65mm was the only one that worked perfect. I have a new calibrater now so hopefully moving forward it will be good.

who was your calibrator?

Guessing Alex.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
So if and when my stock TVS sells I'm thinking of going to a Gen3 TVS instead of a Gen2R. I just wanted to hear from you guys that have them on your 13/14 GT500.
What T/B are you running?
What pulley are you running? I'm thinking I'll do a 2.5 upper since I run MS100 full time.
Who did your tune and are you happy with it.

I went from gen IIr to gen III in August. Had 2.4 on IIr and 2.9 on III. Twin 68 and JLT 124 for both. 662 whp on IIr and 680 whp on III although actually lost average power with III. Tuned for 91. Since swapped it out for KB 3.6 to go with full build and e85. Switch from IIr to III is not worth it if you are running pump gas IMHO.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I went from gen IIr to gen III in August. Had 2.4 on IIr and 2.9 on III. Twin 68 and JLT 124 for both. 662 whp on IIr and 680 whp on III although actually lost average power with III. Tuned for 91. Since swapped it out for KB 3.6 to go with full build and e85. Switch from IIr to III is not worth it if you are running pump gas IMHO.

Agree but hes not running pump gas. He'll get nice gains from the gen 3 on 100 octane and be able to pulley down.

mwilson6192

Established Member
I wen't through a lot for sure, for some reason my calibrater at Lund couldn't make anything work correctly and I was getting very pissed. The twin 65mm was the only one that worked perfect. I have a new calibrater now so hopefully moving forward it will be good. Driveability is one of the most important things to me so I'll live with the twin 65 for now. Eventually I want to do the vmp160, but i need some more feed back on it first.

For what it's worth, the calibrator/tuner skill set is everything. I can't stress that point enough. For every possible supercharger / throttle body / CAI combination, someone will have had a horrible experience with said combination and another someone will have zero issues and rave about the same combination.

As an example, I have a Whipple 4.0L supercharger with a (smaller) 3.75-inch pulley, mated to a Whipple Big Bore Monoblade TB (170mm?), with a JLT carbon fiber Super Big Intake CAI (155mm). I had been told (as well as read) repeatedly that this CAI was basically not tunable. Same with a monoblade TB versus a twin 65/67mm TB - and at the time a Whipple monoblade was not common. My tuner (Tasca Mod Shop) installed a custom MAF flange on the JLT CAI, and this combination runs no differently than the stock unit. I mean that sincerely - zero drivability issues. This combination produces 842RWHP / 750 lb.ft. on 93 pump gas. I forget that my 14 'vert has these modifications as it has been that good of an experience.

I'm not saying anything bad about any calibrator/tuner, but these forums are full of combinations that work great for some and the exact same combinations that have been nightmares for others. I wish you all good luck with your experiences.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member

who was your calibrator?
I would rather not say.
If Lund is your tuner they will recommend the FRPP TB. I think they like the KB monoblade as well... Drivability issues with the other TBs on the market...I knew a guy that all kinds of issues with the Ford mono blade. Had it rebuilt by Accufab and still would go into limp mode. I had a mono blade (prefer not to say the brand) and limp mode after every tune... Eventually went to FRPP twin 65mm and it has been flawless...
Yeah he couldn't make my mono blade work, yet Jon Lund jr. Had no issue on my 2013 and Lund jr did an amazing job with my KB setup on my old 2013 GT500. But no shit I went to the KB168 and JLT148 and the car felt slower in every way. Went back to the twin 65mm T/B and JLT123MM intake and the car ran like a monster again. Needless to say I was pissed. But not much I can do.
Guessing Alex.
I would rather not say.
Somehow missed that. Also missed he is running 5.8, I was on 5.4 at time.
It's all good. I only run MS100 fuel in my car, AZ pump gas in joke lol and we only have E54 so it sucks all around
For what it's worth, the calibrator/tuner skill set is everything. I can't stress that point enough. For every possible supercharger / throttle body / CAI combination, someone will have had a horrible experience with said combination and another someone will have zero issues and rave about the same combination.

As an example, I have a Whipple 4.0L supercharger with a (smaller) 3.75-inch pulley, mated to a Whipple Big Bore Monoblade TB (170mm?), with a JLT carbon fiber Super Big Intake CAI (155mm). I had been told (as well as read) repeatedly that this CAI was basically not tunable. Same with a monoblade TB versus a twin 65/67mm TB - and at the time a Whipple monoblade was not common. My tuner (Tasca Mod Shop) installed a custom MAF flange on the JLT CAI, and this combination runs no differently than the stock unit. I mean that sincerely - zero drivability issues. This combination produces 842RWHP / 750 lb.ft. on 93 pump gas. I forget that my 14 'vert has these modifications as it has been that good of an experience.

I'm not saying anything bad about any calibrator/tuner, but these forums are full of combinations that work great for some and the exact same combinations that have been nightmares for others. I wish you all good luck with your experiences.
I completely agree with you. Lund jr is the man. He made my 3.6KB on E85 run better than stock. I requested him, but it doesn't work that way there.

RBB

Established Member
VMP recommended just messing the upper pulley for now. I'm getting mixed messages. Lund said the smallest pulley to go with on pumped gas (93) is a 3.0, whereas VMP says I can go to 2.6 pulley. The FRPP twin 65mm is solid. I heard the new revised VMP 160mm works good. But thats only from 1 review.
According to VMP's website the 2.6 pulley would be 20-21psi, 2.8 is 18-19psi, 3.0 is 15-16psi. I'm surprised Lund wouldn't work with you on the 2.8 for 93 octane, but I wouldn't feel comfortable running a 2.6 without adding some Torco to the mix.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
According to VMP's website the 2.6 pulley would be 20-21psi, 2.8 is 18-19psi, 3.0 is 15-16psi. I'm surprised Lund wouldn't work with you on the 2.8 for 93 octane, but I wouldn't feel comfortable running a 2.6 without adding some Torco to the mix.
Agreed, the 2.8 should be ok on 93. But the 2.6 makes a lot of boost.

svt4me38

BOWENZMOTORSPORTS.COM
Established Member
64455FE3-1E53-4356-BF67-508FF80A74AD.png
Agreed, the 2.8 should be ok on 93. But the 2.6 makes a lot of boost.

Or order it with the 2.7 pulley that’s just right ;-)

50stangpower

Established Member
I would rather not say.

Yeah he couldn't make my mono blade work, yet Jon Lund jr. Had no issue on my 2013 and Lund jr did an amazing job with my KB setup on my old 2013 GT500. But no shit I went to the KB168 and JLT148 and the car felt slower in every way. Went back to the twin 65mm T/B and JLT123MM intake and the car ran like a monster again. Needless to say I was pissed. But not much I can do.

I would rather not say.

It's all good. I only run MS100 fuel in my car, AZ pump gas in joke lol and we only have E54 so it sucks all around

I completely agree with you. Lund jr is the man. He made my 3.6KB on E85 run better than stock. I requested him, but it doesn't work that way there.

Why hide it and put others through the same thing? This is a community where we should help each other out. How did you get rid of your tuner and get another one. I'm done with Alex and almost wrong off lund because of it.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Or just enough :)
Good luck buddy, you’ll love the new power.
-J
Thanks man, I been wanting to do this one for awhile now.
View attachment 1552683

Or order it with the 2.7 pulley that’s just right ;-)
Not a bad idea. hey do we need to run a different belt for the Gen3? i have the one for the 2.4 upper but I feel like it's going to be to short.
Why hide it and put others through the same thing? This is a community where we should help each other out. How did you get rid of your tuner and get another one. I'm done with Alex and almost wrong off lund because of it.
Yes it was alex, the driveability was decent on his tunes, but the WOT power wen't down a lot and that was tuned on full MS100. I had to ordered a new tune to pass emissions and they sent me to a different calibrator (Dakota), I have always used Lund so I don't like talking bad about them and I'm sure that Alex is great at tuning the coyote engines just not sure about the GT500s. I just wish that if we wanted to work with Lund Jr than we could.

RBB

Established Member

Not a bad idea. hey do we need to run a different belt for the Gen3? i have the one for the 2.4 upper but I feel like it's going to be to short.

Yes it was alex, the driveability was decent on his tunes, but the WOT power wen't down a lot and that was tuned on full MS100. I had to ordered a new tune to pass emissions and they sent me to a different calibrator (Dakota), I have always used Lund so I don't like talking bad about them and I'm sure that Alex is great at tuning the coyote engines just not sure about the GT500s. I just wish that if we wanted to work with Lund Jr than we could.
I had a similar experience with Lund last year. Started me off with one of their other tuners and he couldn't even get the base tune right. After several revisions the car was still going into limp mode immediately after start up.

Ticket was eventually transferred to Jon Jr. and he got it sorted out. I really hope I don't end up with one of the other guys when I submit a ticket for a new remote tune, but it seems that's the most likely scenario these days.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

Jon Jr tuned my 2014 Paxton coyote car, my 2007 GT500 with the TVS, and now my home built TT 2018 coyote car. He is amazing.

Ive read that he is piggy backed on some of the tunes Alex is writing where customers are complaining so jon can take a second look. Hopefully that's true.

50stangpower

Established Member
Jon Jr tuned my 2014 Paxton coyote car, my 2007 GT500 with the TVS, and now my home built TT 2018 coyote car. He is amazing.

Ive read that he is piggy backed on some of the tunes Alex is writing where customers are complaining so jon can take a second look. Hopefully that's true.

not to Hijack but This is what I was told as well. I was told he looked at my tune and didnt see anything wrong, but I have not had any contact with him like I had in the past tunes/revisions.

svt4me38

BOWENZMOTORSPORTS.COM
Established Member

I was able to retain my gates 84inch racing belt by going from a Vmp 90mm idler to the vmp 75mm.
Also running a Vmp tensioner with the stock size 75mm pulley on it as well.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Oh nice, ok maybe that's what I'll do, I have a metco 90mm idler kit, so I might not be able to use it.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member

Yeah I have no idea if that's true. like I said I have always used lund, but I have tossing around the idea to start using palm beach dyno. Everyone seems to be very happy with them.

boduke0220

Established Member
I wouldnt go PBD either, PM me if you want to know why.

Wondered why you took that combo off your car! Going to be nasty with the Gen 3 though.

Users who are viewing this thread