Who has done solid axle swap? how do you like it?

mustang_guy

Established Member
Question for those who did a Solid axle swap in your 03-04 Cobra
how do you like it? any regrets?

Also while Im at it did you need any parts when swapping SA from a 99-04 GT or was it a straight swap?

Black Sex

Established Member
you will to have SRA rear springs/shocks. You also need the ABS sensors. The pinion flange for your driveshaft
I like my swap. Somedays I would prefer having the IRS but it all depends on what im doing. I do like that I can drop the clutch at 5500-6K rpm at the strip and not worry about it

evasbird

Established Member
Its not cheap but well worth it, and you can sell your exhaust and IRS to make some of the money back.

mustang_guy

Established Member
you will to have SRA rear springs/shocks. You also need the ABS sensors. The pinion flange for your driveshaft
I like my swap. Somedays I would prefer having the IRS but it all depends on what im doing. I do like that I can drop the clutch at 5500-6K rpm at the strip and not worry about it

Got it, thanks

any idea on a part number for the pinion flange that I need in order to keep my stock driveshaft?

Vsix

Established Member
I love my SRA now the car hooks and works GOOD on the street :burnout: The IRS susp had a mind of its own sometimes it would work but most of the time it spun hard & hop :beer:..plus it would wear my drag radials funny :fm:

geoffw

Boost Addict
Established Member
Best mod ive ever done...period.

Its the first and only mod on a cobra that i would do before a pulley.

you wont regret it.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
Next to the KB, the solid axle was the best mod I've done. It's nice knowing that it
won't break and that the car will hook like a SOB.

DanielB

WHPPLD
Established Member
Stock GT springs they ride nice and hook well with the Lakewood 50/50 rear shocks :beer:

So do mine!

I cut a coil off my springs so it would sit a little bit more level, but make sure you get your axle tubes welded properly!

gibsonboy3000

Established Member
well i bought my cobra with a SRA... i love how it grabs likes a champ at the track... only thing i dislike is the bumpy ride :/

mustang_guy

Established Member
Thanks guys, Ive decided to do it, Im picking up a SA from a friends 2000 GT next week and build it through the winter. I will keep you guys updated

mustang_guy

Established Member
I love my SRA now the car hooks and works GOOD on the street :burnout: The IRS susp had a mind of its own sometimes it would work but most of the time it spun hard & hop :beer:..plus it would wear my drag radials funny :fm:

yup, same happened to my drag radials. Uneven wear :bash:

what springs are you guys running on the rear? I plan on putting Lakewood 50/50 shocks in the rear and possibly Eibach pro kit springs in the rear with UPR tubular K member with coilovers on the front.

Im not sure about what springs to go with because I want something that will let the car transfer hard and not make the car a 4x4 at the same time. Idealy Id like something about 1.25 inches lower than stock if possible
any suggestions?

Black Sex

Established Member
ok easy enough, just take the pinion flange off my IRS and put it on the solid axle aswell as keep my stock driveshaft is that right?

Thats correct. You might need an impact to get the nut off. I cant remember how tight they are.

Black Sex

Established Member
well i bought my cobra with a SRA... i love how it grabs likes a champ at the track... only thing i dislike is the bumpy ride :/

What are you running for rear shocks? I used the ones off my IRS for about 2 days and it rode like shit. Real bouncy. I went and bought some cheap $20 monroe shocks for a 04 GT and it rides good now.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator

SRA converters beware! :read:

To tell you the truth, if ride quality, street manners and handling are not a concern, and you love to drag race, live your life 1,320' at a time, then an SRA conversion will serve you well! :rollseyes

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

mustang_guy

Established Member
What are you running for rear shocks? I used the ones off my IRS for about 2 days and it rode like shit. Real bouncy. I went and bought some cheap $20 monroe shocks for a 04 GT and it rides good now.

Im running the stock shocks right now and stock cut springs.
I plan on putting in 50/50 lakewoods and either pro kit springs or 5L stock springs

mustang_guy

Established Member
SRA converters beware! :read:

To tell you the truth, if ride quality, street manners and handling are not a concern, and you love to drag race, live your life 1,320' at a time, then an SRA conversion will serve you well! :rollseyes

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

exactly, I want to build the car for straight line 1/4 mile

Users who are viewing this thread