Who has "dynamatted" their cobra?

0-MYSTACHROME-4

Established Member
I did my entire trunk and did it up to, under the rear seat, but that is to help minimize some of the NVH i was experiencing after the FTBR bushing install. I also have a speaker box in the trunk and it helped keep the sound where it needs to be. My car is a street car so a lil extra weight didnt bother me. Oh, and my new TVS will help me out if the dynomat had slowed me down a lil, lol

IA Shelby

Established Member
I did my entire trunk and did it up to, under the rear seat, but that is to help minimize some of the NVH i was experiencing after the FTBR bushing install. I also have a speaker box in the trunk and it helped keep the sound where it needs to be. My car is a street car so a lil extra weight didnt bother me. Oh, and my new TVS will help me out if the dynomat had slowed me down a lil, lol

Are you satisfied with the results?

Quick Strike

Established Member
I did the entire floorpan, under the rear seat and in the trunk. The trunk has a double layer. It had a nasty drone after installing a MRT H-pipe with the Steeda catback. The drone was bearable after the Dynomat Extreme install, but still very pronounced. I wound up changing the catback to a FR500-M58. Then it was very nice in the cabin again.

old ford guy

Established Member
I dynamated the floor from firewall to tail light panel, inside both doors and rear fender wells while installing 6 point roll bar.
Also put tac mat which is a foam pad like material from firewall to rear of the front seats on top of dynamat.
Put tac mat under headliner to get rid of the rain noise !
No drone, much less road noise. tunes are clear while rowing gears, I am very happy !!!

Ravenna2000

I did trunk, rear seat floor, back side panels and front doors. I also added foam product on wheel wells. I used a little dynamat but most product was stinger roadkill, very happy with results.

nxs450

Kanas SVT Poster
Established Member
I used a product on ebay called Fat Mat. I did the trunk, inner fender wells, under back seat, floor board, and doors. It was very noisy after the I installed the solid diff bushings, and this helped quite a bit.

redrocket16

Established Member
Dynamat here on the floor, roof, inside and outside door skins as well. I also added their dynapad on the roof and floor which helps the heat in both of those places. I feel its a much quieter ride than before.

SlowSVT

Established Member
I would avoid using dynamat on the car. Over time it can trap moisture rotting out floor boards and the bottom of the trunk which is the first places water will seek out to hide. It heavy by design to dampen noise. I scraped out about 10 lbs of the stuff the factory put in.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I have some fat mat, will be doing trunk and maybe under rear seats this spring!

Intervention302

Established Member
Thinking about doing this in the Spring...

Never pulled the interior or carpet before. Is it pretty self explanatory? Anybody have a guide posted?

Edit...

OK carpet shouldn't be an issue.

Can I do trunk, floor pan, and tranny tunnel, and maybe doors

With 50 sq ft?

Last edited:

94slowbra1

Established Member
Something I will be doing soon to help keep everything quiet. Most likely I'll be using fat mat, seems to get very good reviews and cost way less than dynamat.

nxs450

Kanas SVT Poster
Established Member
Thinking about doing this in the Spring...

Never pulled the interior or carpet before. Is it pretty self explanatory? Anybody have a guide posted?

Edit...

OK carpet shouldn't be an issue.

Can I do trunk, floor pan, and tranny tunnel, and maybe doors

With 50 sq ft?

If I remember right it took 100 sq ft to do mine.

03SonicVert

Ford Junkie since 1996
Established Member
I've kicked around the idea but do fear the water entry and trapping it may pose. Since I have a vert water leaks are pretty much reality. I've also thought about spray on products which I think would mitigate some of those fears.

I did many hours or research, price and brand comparisons. The big thing seems to be what the product is made out of. Apparently the low end products are made with asphalt. There are mats that you can buy from Home Depot which are similar to what some of the sellers list on the bay. These products will have an asphalt odor which could linger for a long time and may not adhere to the surface like a high end Dyna Mat would. Could you imagine removing your head liner, installing a low quality mat, getting it all back together only to have the product fail during the dead of summer? It could droop off and weigh down your head liner.

All I'm saying is do your home work! If you find a seller with a product that is half the price or less than Dyna Mat make sure you ask the seller if the product is asphalt based.

SV

Last edited:

Intervention302

Established Member
Something I will be doing soon to help keep everything quiet. Most likely I'll be using fat mat, seems to get very good reviews and cost way less than dynamat.

Probably do fat mat as well

Can do 100sq ft of their thicker 80mm stuff for 199 shipped on Amazon

cj428mach

Established Member
I've used a similar product in my street rod, and my friend used fat mat in his 97 Fbody. Both of us agreed that while it does help, its not really worth the effort. If you want to quiet the car down you need to do it with exhaust/suspension mods.

JeffCooper

Established Member
I haven't done Wilbur yet, did my Lightning (concert hall tunes). I did the doors, the read of the cab and the floors to under the seat. The results were amaZing

Intervention302

Established Member
Need to try and figure out whats the best stuff to use and it what order...

I believe MLV(mass loaded vinyl) looks like the best for eliminating airborne sound waves

Now just to determine what products are MLV and if I need 2 layers

EDIT:

Looks like the best method is having a thin layer of CCF (Closed cell foam) between your metal surface and the MLV

Last edited:

crfrider16

Heretic
Established Member
Traditional dynamat material is not really for killing noise, it's for killing vibration. For noise, you need the thicker foam stuff. I did my entire 89 coupe with dynamat extreme, and it was still very loud.

Users who are viewing this thread