Who has installed 4.10's

Friendchicken

I'm getting this done and want to know how it will affect daily drivability, launches, 1/4mi 4th gear....

Should I invest in a tire company like my friends suggest? Only hp mod is my x-pipe.

Juiced-03

Established Member
why are you getting these gears? If you decide to later get a chip and pulley, have fun not getting any traction what so ever. If I went with gears, which I wont, but if I did, I would get 3.90's. I am not a 1/4 mile racer so gears are not on my future mod list. If you can get traction with 4.10's though, I bet it will be fun!

03&68cobras

Established Member
Believe it or not, sometimes you can actually get more managable traction with lower gears. The reason being that the RPMs come up much quicker with the lower gears, and your tires are not spinning as fast as quickly with the lower gears. With the 3.55's that come stock, we can do about 40mph in first gear at red-line, or you tires are spinning at 40 if you are doing a burn out. If you put 4.10's in the speed you can do in first is only going to be about 30mph.

Another way to think about that is that no matter which gear we have in the rear, first gear is almost useless unless you have slicks. With a 4.10 gear you are going to be hitting second much sooner (and hopefully hooking up still hooking up in second gear) and this should really help.

Friendchicken

The only power upgrades I am doing to this car is CAI, Stinger cat back and a tune. The rest of the mods are going into brakes, coil-overs, subframes... etc.

Friendchicken

Originally posted by 03&68cobras
Believe it or not, sometimes you can actually get more managable traction with lower gears. The reason being that the RPMs come up much quicker with the lower gears, and your tires are not spinning as fast as quickly with the lower gears. With the 3.55's that come stock, we can do about 40mph in first gear at red-line, or you tires are spinning at 40 if you are doing a burn out. If you put 4.10's in the speed you can do in first is only going to be about 30mph.

Another way to think about that is that no matter which gear we have in the rear, first gear is almost useless unless you have slicks. With a 4.10 gear you are going to be hitting second much sooner (and hopefully hooking up still hooking up in second gear) and this should really help.
yup... another reason for the gears. As it is, if I launch at 2500 rpm, I bog down. over 3000 rpm, I am burning the clutch or spinning/hopping.

I figure with 4.10's, I can save the clutch and have more control off the launch with a lower gear and get into 2nd faster with no slipping.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Originally posted by FEARSNO1
i would like to know how it affects gas mileage

I would think it's going to lower it a little.

I wouldn't do 4.10s. I think it's too much of a gear. 3.73s maybe.

Friendchicken

gas milage would only be seriously affected if I ran out of gears.
If anyone with 4.10's could comment (hint, hint)

vector

1st Whipple in the 10's
Established Member
I am not sure what your thinking about when you say that 4.10 will make the car spin less.

I will need a shovel to get through that post about 4.10's spinning less

With 4.10's in this car the only way you will not spin is with et streets or something better

My gt with 4.30's and a smoking 240hp at the tires had no trouble truning them over in 1rst and second.

I am not saying 4.10s wont be alot of fun.

But your going to need some tire under that car to get any performance advantage out of them.

It will no way in hell be easyer 60ft your car with 4.10s

Last edited:

Fast01Cobra

Established Member
98kobra, I say go with the 4.10s.... I have them, traction in first gear was difficult with the stock gears..... On the 1/4 traction is not a problem with DRs. I'm using Nitto 315 x 17 DRs and run a 1.64 60' launching @ 2300 - 2500. I DO NOT have to shift into 5th for the 1/4, it comes across right at 6000 at the topend. I ran a best of 11.87 @ 116 and my car only dynoed @ 421 rwhp and 430 ftlbs. Gas mileage sucked before I got the gear, as does it now. Driving on the interstate is a breeze, cruising @ 80mph in 6th @ 2300 rpms.

Go get them and good luck.....

stang99

You go .86585 the speed in each gear of 3.55's with 4.10's. It appears that you are into the 120's in the 1/4. Around where I come from that's a mighty fast Cobra with tons of HP. Most people would not have to shift to 5th.
4.10's increase your RPM's by approx 15.5 percent. A 2200 RPM cruise in 5th becomes 2540 RPM, as an example.

Originally posted by fryingricecobra
Trust me.

Go with 3.73s. I have the 4.10s and have zero traction in 1st. I also have to shift into 5th in the 1/4.

Last edited by a moderator:

Friendchicken

well fryingricecobra,

I have no doubt that you are shredding rubber in first if you launch from a high rpm and full throttle... however, I am going to walk out of the hole instead of trying to leap out.

Fast01cobra, launching @ 2300 - 2500 is exactly what I can deal with- not slipping the clutch at 3500+rpm.

IMO, we have too much stock boost to launch in first gear on the F1's, so I am going to launch without going into full boost with 4.10's to get me to 2nd gear and full boost/hp sooner.

How many runs has everyone blown cause of too much spin/wheel hop or taking too long to get up to full boost/hp in second? Very experienced drivers are probably good at it, but I am a terrible driver and if I can bring the car down to my level and get good numbers, then I'll do it.

Thanks to both sides for their opinions tho. I'm pretty excited about modding the car... I've never had the bug before, now I can't not mod... Is there a Rx in the house? :D

Last edited by a moderator:

fryingricecobra

Crappyservice=Nocustomers
Established Member
You can feather it out, however I'd rather have traction from the get go.

My track times have suffered with the 4.10s. Shifting these cars is pain enough as it is. Let alone trying to do another one.

Sure, the 4.10s are FUN on the street, but you gotta pedal it too much at the track in my opinon. I am in the same boat as you. I'm not the best driver in the world. The first time down the track ever in my car I ran a 11.84@118. That was with exhaust/chip/2.8/cai on 275 DR's and 3.55's.

Now I have to work my ass off to get there with the 4.10s. If you are going to stay with 275's I say don't get the 4.10s. I promise unless you are a awesome driver you are not going to cut 1.6 60' times with 275's and 4.10s.

Hell, maybe I just can't drive with a flip.

BlownShift

Rex Kramer -Danger Seeker
Established Member
Originally posted by 03&68cobras
With the 3.55's that come stock, we can do about 40mph in first gear at red-line, or you tires are spinning at 40 if you are doing a burn out. If you put 4.10's in the speed you can do in first is only going to be about 30mph.

51 mph in 1st
76 mph in 2nd

Users who are viewing this thread