Who Has Ran MT 17" ET Streets?

nxs450

Kanas SVT Poster
Established Member
I am looking for a tire that will hook at the track. I am IRS with all FTBR bushings, brace, H&R springs, etc. I know a 15"-16" tire is going to be better because of more side wall, but I am wanting to know if the 17" ET slick will perform a lot better then a 17" drag radial. Really want to here from someone that has ran it.

Mystic03

Established Member
I ran 17 et streets with 650/600they gripped ok I still spun a little bit out of the hole but I managed 1.5 60fts I would say 600+rwhp is about its limit. If you're packing more power youll need to go wider/taller

nxs450

Kanas SVT Poster
Established Member
I ran 17 et streets with 650/600they gripped ok I still spun a little bit out of the hole but I managed 1.5 60fts I would say 600+rwhp is about its limit. If you're packing more power youll need to go wider/taller

Slicks not radials, right? I am probably just under 600HP.

nxs450

Kanas SVT Poster
Established Member
I would think a 28 x 17 slick would have as much side wall as a 26 x 16, if not more?

Last edited:

cobrasvt77

Established Member
I been running stock wheels with M/T drag radials 275 40 17 been cutting 1.6 and 1.5 60 fts. Running 10.43 putting down 720 RWHP. Also running IRS with only mods is a fore cover and Dss pro level 5 halfshafts. Stock k member with H&R springs.

testorossa1989

Established Member
They hooked good and we're better than I thought in rain on my way back from the tuner. I spun a little after warming up against a "14 V wagon. I was leaving strips down in the top of 3rd, 4th. I think I'm going to try the Hoosier next. For the average blown cobra they're a great time if the nitto is no longer working for you

SVT_Troy

Established Member
slicks are going to hook better than any drag radial that is currently made. The sidewall has flex, a slick on a 16" rim would be even better which you already know. If your running around on the street the hoosier DR hooks better than the ET streets but the ET's last longer. I'm on ET streets now and love them.

What are you planning on using them for, hooking on the street or track? I'm not fond of running a slick on the street....

nxs450

Kanas SVT Poster
Established Member
slicks are going to hook better than any drag radial that is currently made. The sidewall has flex, a slick on a 16" rim would be even better which you already know. If your running around on the street the hoosier DR hooks better than the ET streets but the ET's last longer. I'm on ET streets now and love them.

What are you planning on using them for, hooking on the street or track? I'm not fond of running a slick on the street....

I am wanting something for the track without spending a lot of money. I have a new set of AFS 10.5 wheels that I plan on putting some DR's on for the street and I thought I could put the 17" slicks on the factory 9" wheels. 16" wheels cost a small fortune and some guys are running a 26" tall tire on them. I'm not great at geometry, but it seems a 28" tall tire on a 17" wheel would give you as much side wall as a 26" tire on a 16" wheel?

I don't know that I will be going to the track that often, and if I do it will be for time only unless I fall in love with it. Maybe I should just un good DR's an call it good.

Last edited:

speeddemon2000

Established Member
I have run both the MTs and the Hoosiers. The Hoosiers hook better IMO. The MTs have a stiff sidewall and handles curves way better than you would think. I know that's not what its designed for but just so you know. The Hoosiers will handle curves too but are far less stable. Once you get it in a turn they have lots of grip just don't try changing directions quickly. They don't like that because of the soft sidewalls.

ugotbit03

4.6 ways to waste money
Established Member
My results mirror those above.

1.5 60's, I thought they did a great job for what they are and what I was asking of them.

I ran mine on the stock 10th Anniversary wheels in the back.

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
My MT 275 dr were great with the eaton(dead hook 460/460)with the KB I have 16"bogarts with MT ET Street 26x11.5x16,work good for A 10.75 but I think A 28" tire would be better!

nxs450

Kanas SVT Poster
Established Member
I'm talking about slicks not DR's. Really wanting to know who has ran the Hoosier 28x10x17 slicks. There should be 11" of side wall on a 17" rim compared to a 26" slick on a 16" rim with 10" of side wall. Of course a 28" slick on a 16" rim would give you more with 12".
I have searched some GM, and Mopar forums and haven't heard anything negative about them.

03' White Snake

Established Member
I've run 26×10??x17 ET streets at the track. With pressure at 18lbs they nearly dead hook at 2500-3k rpm and rolling out. Was going 1.8 60's on stock irs with H&R springs. The car definitely tended to sway real bad at the top end. Enough to scare me to get out of it. Felt like the car was walking at least a foot.

Next tine I run these I am going to try a little more pressure. But I was happy with the traction of them.

Last edited:

nxs450

Kanas SVT Poster
Established Member
I've run 26×10?? ET streets at the track. With pressure at 18lbs they nearly dead hook at 2500-3k rpm and rolling out. Was going 1.8 60's on stock irs with H&R springs. The car definitely tended to sway real bad at the top end. Enough to scare me to get out of it. Felt like the car was walking at least a foot.

Next tine I run these I am going to try a little more pressure. But I was happy with the traction of them.

Yeah lol, it takes a while to get used to the feel of slicks. Can you imagine what it feels like in one of the top fuel cars with there monster tires.

SYMach1

IRS FTW!
Established Member
I ran my 17 inch et streets at 13-15lbs....great mod for the IRS, always 1.58-1.62s on my port eaton setup before i switched to my rts combo

Users who are viewing this thread