Who here doesn't have a truck?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
You can’t beet the sound of the old Cummins. What year is it? Is that the 5-9 they call the “12 valve”? That’s excellent mileage. My 6.0 on 35” MT is lucky to get 10mpg. I was getting 16 mpg on the factory ATs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It’s a 1999 24 valve. Sounds and looks very similar to the 12 valve. 24v Cylinder head is different and the injection pump is electronic vs mechanical on the 12v.

They are all fantastic motors.

Excited to hitch my 5th wheel up to it and see how she does.

6.0 Ford is actually a great motor too once you address the “fixes”. I’d own one in a second.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
It’s a 1999 24 valve. Sounds and looks very similar to the 12 valve. 24v Cylinder head is different and the injection pump is electronic vs mechanical on the 12v.

They are all fantastic motors.

Excited to hitch my 5th wheel up to it and see how she does.

6.0 Ford is actually a great motor too once you address the “fixes”. I’d own one in a second.

Ah so you still gotta smog that one too. As soon as I run into a little more money I’m going to bullet proof my truck and let it eat.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Ah so you still gotta smog that one too. As soon as I run into a little more money I’m going to bullet proof my truck and let it eat.

Yeah, unfortunately. Good news is it’s only a visual test on these. Should be no biggie.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
What’s MDS?
Multi Displacement System. Cuts down the 8 cylinders to 4 cylinders and pussifies the truck. lol
I hate it. I disable it every time I drive my truck. I bought a HEMI powered truck for a reason. Zero ****s given about gas mileage/consumption.
:D

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I would really LOVE to buy an Audi RS3 for my next daily driver, and not a truck, but no remote starter for the Audi is a downer. I need the remote starter for the cooler/winter months.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Multi Displacement System. Cuts down the 8 cylinders to 4 cylinders and pussifies the truck. lol
I hate it. I disable it every time I drive my truck. I bought a HEMI powered truck for a reason. Zero ****s given about gas mileage/consumption.
Ah, GM has that too. Friend has 6.2 that gets 15 city. My little V6 doesn’t do that. Mine does get 23 all city.
Thanks Tony.

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member

i used to do the same thing with my autostart system in the f150. eventually figured out having a trailer light tester plugged in disabled is automatically.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Ah, GM has that too. Friend has 6.2 that gets 15 city. My little V6 doesn’t do that. Mine does get 23 all city.
Thanks Tony.
No problem.
Does he like it with cylinder deactivation? I think it's called, Active Fuel Management, or AFM with Chevy and GMC.
Do you have the START/STOP feature on your truck?

i used to do the same thing with my autostart system in the f150. eventually figured out having a trailer light tester plugged in disabled is automatically.
I heard that was a way of shutting it off.
I think this a module that you can install inside the dash and it cancels it out every single time as well? A lot more work doing it this way though. lol

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
No problem.
Does he like it with cylinder deactivation? I think it's called, Active Fuel Management, or AFM with Chevy and GMC.
Do you have the START/STOP feature on your truck?lol
He said it’s weird. I do have that, but disabled it for most of the summer. Now that it’s cooler, it’s active. The truck will sit at a light for 3 minutes and not run.

john11gt

Established Member
I bought an 07 GMC Sierra 2500 with the LBZ. I probably could have gotten away with a 1/2 ton but I’ve been wanting a diesel for a while.

fuel mileage isn’t terrible, around 16 unloaded and I’ve gotten around mid 20s unloaded with the cruise set to 70.

Maintenance isn’t much more than a gasser either, sure it takes a bit more oil but my 2011 mustang took 8 quarts ‍♂️ Add a $60 fuel filter every other oil change and that’s it.

The diesel destroys a gasser in resale though, I can put another 200k on my truck and have 330k miles and still sell it for around 10k. You’re not getting that with a gasser.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I bought an 07 GMC Sierra 2500 with the LBZ. I probably could have gotten away with a 1/2 ton but I’ve been wanting a diesel for a while.

fuel mileage isn’t terrible, around 16 unloaded and I’ve gotten around mid 20s unloaded with the cruise set to 70.

Maintenance isn’t much more than a gasser either, sure it takes a bit more oil but my 2011 mustang took 8 quarts ‍♂️ Add a $60 fuel filter every other oil change and that’s it.

The diesel destroys a gasser in resale though, I can put another 200k on my truck and have 330k miles and still sell it for around 10k. You’re not getting that with a gasser.

That’s a great truck with a great motor. Last year of it too.

I’d hang on to it if I were you. Post up a pic.

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member

You pay a lot more upfront for it too. Those pre emissions trucks are a hot commodity down here so you are in a great spot

john11gt

Established Member
That’s a great truck with a great motor. Last year of it too.

I’d hang on to it if I were you. Post up a pic.

It’s been a great truck, minus the alternator going out 3 days after I bought it. I’ve put about 20-25k miles on it since I bought it in June 2018. It’s tuned with 5 settings, deleted, exhaust, intake, air bags in the rear and a hitch in the front.

You do pay more up front for it but that does back in to it holding its value.

Attachments

• 430424B5-5128-4D1A-B64A-509086FE6650.jpeg
    430424B5-5128-4D1A-B64A-509086FE6650.jpeg
    111.9 KB · Views: 150

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
It’s been a great truck, minus the alternator going out 3 days after I bought it. I’ve put about 20-25k miles on it since I bought it in June 2018. It’s tuned with 5 settings, deleted, exhaust, intake, air bags in the rear and a hitch in the front.

You do pay more up front for it but that does back in to it holding its value.

That’s a beauty!! Very nice

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
He said it’s weird. I do have that, but disabled it for most of the summer. Now that it’s cooler, it’s active. The truck will sit at a light for 3 minutes and not run.

Master Tech Friend of mine at Ford said the stop/start is hard on batteries. Since you're constantly pulling on them, then charging them back up. And supposedly the target charge is something like 90% with the BMS.

When I disabled the BMS on my truck, I noticed that the battery held 14v. With BMS, it was like 12.4.

08mojo

Established Member
Master Tech Friend of mine at Ford said the stop/start is hard on batteries. Since you're constantly pulling on them, then charging them back up. And supposedly the target charge is something like 90% with the BMS.

When I disabled the BMS on my truck, I noticed that the battery held 14v. With BMS, it was like 12.4.

12.4V is essentially a fully charged battery. 14V is what the charging system will show when the alternator is doing its job. Not sure why you'd disable the BMS.

Users who are viewing this thread