Who is into building PC's/Gaming rigs?

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
Here are some more benchmarks this morning out of boredom:

Presets are Extreme, but they say custom because the only thing i changed was to FullScreen:

Valley:

Valley_zps89dd9f42.jpg

Heaven:

Heaven_zps00ab0ccd.jpg

CPU says 800mhz clock speed. For some reason haswell cpu's report their idle clock in benchmarks, but they do clock up to whatever the multiplier is set at during testing, confirmed by CPU-Z.

Intervention..............nervous to see what the 970's do.....

helloWorld

Established Member
Is it possible for you to run the heaven benchmark on a single 780TI, I want to compare it with my single 980. I am not finished overclocking with it yet, but I believe I managed a 1867 last night when I was playing around with the 980.

Intervention302

Established Member
Here are some more benchmarks this morning out of boredom:

Presets are Extreme, but they say custom because the only thing i changed was to FullScreen:

Valley:

Valley_zps89dd9f42.jpg

Heaven:

Heaven_zps00ab0ccd.jpg

CPU says 800mhz clock speed. For some reason haswell cpu's report their idle clock in benchmarks, but they do clock up to whatever the multiplier is set at during testing, confirmed by CPU-Z.

Intervention..............nervous to see what the 970's do.....
Looks great...

The other 970 is in the box ready to ship back. I could put it in once more and fiddle some more

Anything specific you want benched?

I was running at 4.9ghz
Is it possible for you to run the heaven benchmark on a single 780TI, I want to compare it with my single 980. I am not finished overclocking with it yet, but I believe I managed a 1867 last night when I was playing around with the 980.
A 970 can give a To a run for its money. Pretty sure a 980 could do +5-8%

And... You sure you hit 1.87ghz???

Unigine usually displays wrong speed

Edit... Only 2 benchmarks run
0ae4db17715f329388314ad710e828d8.jpg

2e4d0322ba777e9c5576e0190ad44546.jpg

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
Here's my bad boy. Did all the cable/wire routing myself.

DSCN9430_zpsdc38fa1a.gif

Shuttle HOT 555 1.53
P55C 200 mhz
40 GB HDD
128 MB RAM
SB16
3DFX Voodoo2 8 MB

I have another Voodoo2 lying around with a cable for true SLI (not that fake crap they have nowadays), but that HDD is so massive it requires a controller card that hogs up one of the only 3 PCI slots, because somebody didn't do a BIOS update, and I've been too lazy to fix it.

I LOL'd!

it's amazing how many of these setups are water cooled rocking 8 and 16 gigs of ram. throw 64gb in and Hackintosh on 2 SSD's striped w/ windows as a virtural machine and watch the numbers fly off the charts. Water cooling is great but, your lack of RAM and HD speed is bottlenecking your systems.

Intervention302

Established Member
I LOL'd!

it's amazing how many of these setups are water cooled rocking 8 and 16 gigs of ram. throw 64gb in and Hackintosh on 2 SSD's striped w/ windows as a virtural machine and watch the numbers fly off the charts. Water cooling is great but, your lack of RAM and HD speed is bottlenecking your systems.
8GB is honestly all you need 95% of the time

I edit 24mp photos in raw in Lightroom 5 and never struggle

People with 32GB are wasting time and money. I would score no higher with 16GB ram

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member

Sure can. Expecting around 1500 on a single card....

Last edited:

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
I LOL'd!

[youtube_browser]5hfYJsQAhl0[/youtube_browser]

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
On a single 780 ti. It shows x2 cards in the results, but SLI was disabled in NVIDIA control panel and confirmed by idle core clock on card 2 in benchmark. Scored a bit better than i expected:

Heaven1card_zps3a14b464.jpg

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Not even going to bother with mine, its a laughing stock compare to you guys LOL. Only time I touch it is to turn it on or to dust it off. Been about 2 years since I last upgrade it

BlueSnake01

Established Member
I LOL'd!

Please tell us, how is having 8-16GB of ram bottlenecking it? Bottlenecking what exactly?
It’s more than enough ram, rather have faster ram speeds with 8GB than higher timings and slower ram with more GB’s.

SSD’s do NOTHING for gaming other than being a second or two faster in loading (big whoop!). I rather have 2TB’s of HDD than 512GB of SDD for gaming. My SDD is my primary drive for programs and loading Windows, everything else is on my HDD which I bet a lot of people in their gaming rigs have the same storage setup.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Please tell us, how is having 8-16GB of ram bottlenecking it? Bottlenecking what exactly?
It’s more than enough ram, rather have faster ram speeds with 8GB than higher timings and slower ram with more GB’s.

SSD’s do NOTHING for gaming other than being a second or two faster in loading (big whoop!). I rather have 2TB’s of HDD than 512GB of SDD for gaming. My SDD is my primary drive for programs and loading Windows, everything else is on my HDD which I bet a lot of people in their gaming rigs have the same storage setup.

QFT on all accounts. I have 16gb or ram in my gaming rig and it's more than enough. Also, I have 1 240gb Samsung 840 SSD for windows with 2 500gb WD Caviar Blacks for games and I'm always the first or second person into BF4 maps when starting a new round.

Intervention302

Established Member
QFT on all accounts. I have 16gb or ram in my gaming rig and it's more than enough. Also, I have 1 240gb Samsung 840 SSD for windows with 2 500gb WD Caviar Blacks for games and I'm always the first or second person into BF4 maps when starting a new round.
Close for me.

Intel 180ssd and a 2tb black

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
Just a samsung 500gb ssd here. Not yet needed additional storage

helloWorld

Established Member
@Intervention. Lol, I meant the score I got in Heaven was near 1867. Definitely not the GPU core clock.

@Proto, what are your core and memory clocks for your 780ti?

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
Stock core is 980mhz. Right now just running a +100mhz core and +300mhz memory OC profile. Seeing a max boost core of 1297mhz in gpu-z. Haven't logged any benchmarks to see how long the boost clock stays in.

Last edited:

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
This thread gave me the itch...

What do you guys think about the new R9 285 cards? I like the size for my mid-tower case and the lower power demands. I think these are the answer to the GTX 750 Ti but with a little more performance and fits between the 280 and 280x cards but a bit cheaper. I game at 1080.

I was looking at this one in particular:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131595

My spec are here:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...aming-rigs&p=14526689&viewfull=1#post14526689

If you really want an R9 285, you can snatch one up right now for $175 over on NCIX while supplies last:

http://www.ncixus.com/products/?sku=101599&vpn=R9-285A-CDBC&manufacture=XFX&promoid=1269

BlueSnake01

Established Member

Intervention302

Established Member
WOW!! Thats a great price!!! $100+ cheaper than the comparable GTX 770. I wished NVIDIA was closer in pricing to AMD cards. Im not a big fan of the AMD drivers, even in the Radeon days. That’s my main reason why I haven’t switched back to AMD.
Again if you can sneak a 970 into your budget and case. You will NOT be disappointed

Users who are viewing this thread