Who is into building PC's/Gaming rigs?

quad

Established Member
One benefit of the X299 platform is this:

Intel's Core i9 and X299 enable crazy RAID configurations for a price

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3199...le-crazy-raid-configurations-for-a-price.html

Asus-Hyper-M.2-x16-Card.jpg

quad

Established Member

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
The 8th Gen Intel launch live stream on Facebook was so brutally terrible that I had to turn it off. The 5 minutes that I watched literally looked like something a high school AV club would put together. AMD's Ryzen launch was infinitely better in concept and execution.

helloWorld

Established Member
I'm just waiting to see the gaming performance of the mainstream 6 core/12 thread processor.

My 2600K is getting a bit long in the tooth.

6.0GTO

Established Member

quad

Established Member
If Intel went with solder for the TIM and this overclock is attainable you should be able to run this at 4.5 all day long and cut off a lot of time for content creators. Maybe it should be called the Thread Ripper, Ripper. If this comes in at $1200 employee pricing I'm gonna build a system off of this.

http://wccftech.com/intels-core-i9-7980xe-flagship-18-core-cpu-gets-first-benchmarks/
I am glad AMD is pushing Intel because in the end we as consumers benefit. I have supported AMD in the past and will in the future. I've had AMD CPUs and graphics cards.

The I9-7980xe is totally badass though and the current top end Threadripper will not be able to compete. It will be a great deal for $1200 in 2017.

Some serious content creators will opt for Dual Xeon systems instead - at a much higher price ofcourse! Check this system:

https://hothardware.com/news/intel-...um-8176-server-cpu-rocks-cinebench-benchmarks

Regarding AMD, a few years ago I accidentally broke a pin on an AMD CPU when it pulled out of the socket as I was removing the fan to replace it with an aftermarket fan. Well that CPU ended up working fine for many more years even without the missing pin because I got lucky and the pin had no function. I ended up making quite a bit of money using that CPU with the missing pin in a work environment. It paid for itself many times over.

I do prefer Nvidia graphics cards because their drivers in my experience have just been more solid and in general they offered better performance. But I do hope they keep pushing Nvidia as they are Intel and if they ever come out with a card that can really compete I will consider it.

Last edited:

6.0GTO

Established Member
I am glad AMD is pushing Intel because in the end we as consumers benefit. I have supported AMD in the past and will in the future. I've had AMD CPUs and graphics cards.

The I9-7980xe is totally badass though and the current top end Threadripper will not be able to compete. It will be a great deal for $1200 in 2017.

Some serious content creators will opt for Dual Xeon systems instead - at a much higher price ofcourse! Check this system:

https://hothardware.com/news/intel-...um-8176-server-cpu-rocks-cinebench-benchmarks

Regarding AMD, a few years ago I accidentally broke a pin on an AMD CPU when it pulled out of the socket as I was removing the fan to replace it with an aftermarket fan. Well that CPU ended up working fine for many more years even without the missing pin because I got lucky and the pin had no function. I ended up making quite a bit of money using that CPU with the missing pin in a work environment. It paid for itself many times over.

I do prefer Nvidia graphics cards because their drivers in my experience have just been more solid and in general they offered better performance. But I do hope they keep pushing Nvidia as they are Intel and if they ever come out with a card that can really compete I will consider it.

I look at the market a bit different. I will not buy an AMD CPU. All of the criticism Intel takes on these boards make zero sense to me when the same criticism is not directed towards AMD.

For 8 years AMD did not give a rats ass about bringing better and better CPU's to market. They literally brought two generations of garbage and then did absolutely nothing for five years. Yet Intel is the bad guy because they were not bringing generational improvements of 25%? For many years AMD brought improvements of 0%.

Now nearly two years after a disappointing Fury X they bring Vega that falls short again. Last two systems I used a 980ti and a Fury X. AMD still has a chance to get some of my money with Navi if it is the best card in bracket the 1080ti equivalent will be in.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Anybody been up to anything?

I'm eyeing a few new parts at the moment; a 4K monitor (ASUS PB287Q), GTX 1080 Ti Sea Hawk X and a new PSU (Corsair AX760).

Kinda wanting to gravitate away from the medium settings at 1080/144 to all out beautiful at as close to 60 as possible. I feel I can take the hit in refresh since I don't playing anything competitively, or shooters in general.

Ford>Chevy

Established Member
Got my Gaming laptop on the market, looking to pick up another Titan X Pascal with the money I make off of it. Going SLI for a very targeted application, and it works well so it's worth it for me, because that's all I use my system for, generally speaking. Also will help with 4K. Only reason I'm picking up another is that I bought the Titan right when it came out. Offered just what I needed. Otherwise would have gone 1080Ti SLI

Kiohtee

Established Member
So what's your current setup and do you struggle at 4K right now? Just trying to figure out where I'd stand, real word, with a single 1080 Ti and a 4K monitor.

Ford>Chevy

Established Member
So what's your current setup and do you struggle at 4K right now? Just trying to figure out where I'd stand, real word, with a single 1080 Ti and a 4K monitor.
No, currently I'm using a 1080p monitor using DSR from NVIDIA to get 4k. The colors on my monitor are really washed out. I got it for cheap when I built a system with a 2600k a couple years ago, and am now looking to upgrade. Currently, I use my Titan X Pascal primarily for flight simulation, specifically Lockheed Martin Prepar3d Version 4. The Titan takes on most games fine at 4K so far. Have not had any problems with games dropping below 30 FPS, but some games can get dragged down below 60. But for the flight simulation, the GPU is heavily utilized for Tessellation, and with Super Sampling AA (only 4x) and a heavy overcast layer, I easily max out the usage at 100% between overcast, complex add-on airports, aircraft simulation, scenery complexity/drawing, etc. Two will drastically help offset the load by AA, largely eliminated though, by the use of a 4K monitor. But overall, the performance is great. With a single 1080Ti you should be fine. Overclock it a bit, and get a bit more out of it. I get +800 on the memory for my Titan, and around +190 on the core.

Jmurrz

Established Member

Another guy here running 4k on a Strix 1080ti. I think unless you need super high frames it does the job fine. I don't play many FPS on PC, because all my friends game on xbox and I like playing in a group for that type of stuff. But I have Battlefield all maxed out and it plays really well. I can't tell you the frames, but I would doubt it ever drops into the 40's. 4k all cranked up really looks amazing on the top open world games. Like the Witcher.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Kiohtee

Established Member
Another guy here running 4k on a Strix 1080ti. I think unless you need super high frames it does the job fine. I don't play many FPS on PC, because all my friends game on xbox and I like playing in a group for that type of stuff. But I have Battlefield all maxed out and it plays really well. I can't tell you the frames, but I would doubt it ever drops into the 40's. 4k all cranked up really looks amazing on the top open world games. Like the Witcher.

Not only this, but this has me second guessing my thoughts on 4K. At least at this time.

I played my three most frequented games and locked the frames in at 60 opposed to the usual 144 I currently get, and man, it's rough. I may look into a 1440 monitor with 75+ refresh.

Jmurrz

Established Member
Not only this, but this has me second guessing my thoughts on 4K. At least at this time.

I played my three most frequented games and locked the frames in at 60 opposed to the usual 144 I currently get, and man, it's rough. I may look into a 1440 monitor with 75+ refresh.

Yeah If you are coming from a setup with high refresh rate I am sure you will notice. In that case I would say hold off. The 1080ti is a great card, but it is just not quite there yet with 4k gaming. Right now I don't even think there is a 4k monitor that does above 60 frames, even if your card/cards could handle more than 60 FPS.

I would say hold off if you can, technology is only getting better.

Users who are viewing this thread