Who is into building PC's/Gaming rigs?

Jmurrz

Established Member
I would not be OK with my CPU running at 90 anything firstly. My personal cutoff point is 80°C. Secondly, I think you're misunderstanding a little, because at 100°C the thing is supposed to shut down to prevent permanent/immediate damage. That's not the same as it being OK to run at 90-100°C. If I were you, I'd revert back to the factory settings until getting a de-lid, which brings me to this:

The de-lid was most definitely was worth it. I forget the exact voltage, but prior to the de-lid I was limited to 4.8GHz. Post de-lid I lowered the voltage and cranked it up to 5.0GHz, again, using less voltage... and it was perfectly stable. It also, as previously mentioned, stays MUCH cooler than it did even at stock values under stress. Intel really screwed us Kaby Lake guys with their IHS/paste method.

To answer your second question though, I used Silicon Lottery's de-lid service, which is $49.99 plus freight. https://siliconlottery.com/collections/all/products/delid

Yeah I stopped it when it spiked to 93*. But that was after 20 or so minutes in a stress test. The most I have ever seen when not stress testing is maybe 75*. Normally, it ranges between 32-55* almost all of the time. I still would like to delid but on a normal basis my temps don't really scare me.

I know that silicon lottery does good work but I am worried about the turnaround. I may try to do it myself. I know there are a few decent kits out there that seem simple enough.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Kiohtee

Established Member
I shipped USPS overnight both ways and would have had it back on a Wednesday (shipped it on a Monday) had it not been for the post office taking 48 hours to deliver it initially. Luckily I insured it for $350 or something like that and the overnight postage was refunded because it was guaranteed.

04YellowGT

Established Member
Unfortunately @04YellowGT, shipping is almost not even an option now. Had my wonderful wife not broke down and discarded the original NZXT S340 box that the case came in, I'd be able to do something. But now I'd have to stick the cost of a suitable box and shipping to the buyer, which negates the good deal that my system otherwise was.

Sorry brother. If it makes you feel any better though, now I'm stuck having to deal with the scum that is Craigslist.

No problem man. Good luck with the sale.

I'm looking to build this exact setup. What does everyone think? Is this overkill for a causal gamer? Can I build a cheaper system that would still get the job done? I have this all in my shopping cart on Amazon and it looks to be about $1080.

https://pcbuildsonabudget.com/best-gaming-pc-build-for-under-1000-dollars

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
I'm trying to diagnose my computer of some "lag" issues, per say.

So, I play WoW a bit, and the past couple of months, after the game loads and passes the loading screen, I'll see the game load very slowly and go from about 30-40 FPS then jump to the normal 70 or so.

Setup:

i4770K
Maxmus Hero VII MB
Corsair TX PSU
16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM DDR3
970GTX EVGA Video Card
H80i liquid cooling
NZXT Case with 5 Fans
Samsung 840 Evo SSD
Windows 10

I'd say previous to these issues, I'd see 90-100 FPS, if not more, and as soon as the game loaded, I could start moving the character around or playing instantly. Now, there are spurs of delays/input responses, low FPS rates, etc.

I also used to play GTA5 on max graphics with this exact setup, and when I tried playing it a couple of months ago, I'd have to go 2-3 levels in graphics down to get a stable gameplay experience without the lag.

Computer never gets hot, I normally have no other large programs running, just the basics.

Think it may be the SSD that's struggling or could it be the video card going out?

I want to upgrade to the 7 series processors, get a 1070 or 1080 video card and an 850 evo SSD and updated RAM as well (my RAM is about 5 years old)

Can't really justify the upgrade as it is purely want at this point.

Thoughts?

mr2cam

Established Member
I'm trying to diagnose my computer of some "lag" issues, per say.

So, I play WoW a bit, and the past couple of months, after the game loads and passes the loading screen, I'll see the game load very slowly and go from about 30-40 FPS then jump to the normal 70 or so.

Setup:

i4770K
Maxmus Hero VII MB
Corsair TX PSU
16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM DDR3
970GTX EVGA Video Card
H80i liquid cooling
NZXT Case with 5 Fans
Samsung 840 Evo SSD
Windows 10

I'd say previous to these issues, I'd see 90-100 FPS, if not more, and as soon as the game loaded, I could start moving the character around or playing instantly. Now, there are spurs of delays/input responses, low FPS rates, etc.

I also used to play GTA5 on max graphics with this exact setup, and when I tried playing it a couple of months ago, I'd have to go 2-3 levels in graphics down to get a stable gameplay experience without the lag.

Computer never gets hot, I normally have no other large programs running, just the basics.

Think it may be the SSD that's struggling or could it be the video card going out?

I want to upgrade to the 7 series processors, get a 1070 or 1080 video card and an 850 evo SSD and updated RAM as well (my RAM is about 5 years old)

Can't really justify the upgrade as it is purely want at this point.

Thoughts?

Have you done a firmware update on your 840evo? They had an issue where files that were stored for a long time took a long time to access, I believe there was either a firmware update or a fix you had to download for it.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Have you done a firmware update on your 840evo? They had an issue where files that were stored for a long time took a long time to access, I believe there was either a firmware update or a fix you had to download for it.

Never done an update on that specifically.

Semi-computer illiterate here. I usually do the updates through windows as needed. How do I get the firmware update for the 840? Through Samsungs website?

Jmurrz

Established Member
Just wanted to report back and say that anyone who has a I7700k NEEDS to do the delid. I went from 100*C (with some throttle) to max of 80*C on the same cooler OC'd to 5.0GHZ.

I just finished installing my Kraken x62 and my temps maxed at 72*C after 10 minutes in AIDA64. Also OC'd to 5.0 GHZ.

jacker1991

Established Member
When using Liquid Cooling make sure to test for at least 30 minutes (I use 1 hour) since water takes longer to hit max temp. With that said, Deliding is a must if you own a Intel CPU and want to overclock. Greedy MFers.

SVTFastBack

Established Member
All depends if you got a CPU out of a good batch. I haven't delided my last 3 CPUs because they held very low voltage for the speed on a stable clock. Deliding is a mess in its own because if you end up with a good CPU out of the box doing a delid will only see a very minor decrease making it not worth a risk. Comes down to comparing other peoples results really, I mean its totally wasted time if you are well within range for the OC you want voltage wise. Right now i'm testing an 4790k and its stable at 5.2ghz at 1.45v and maintains easily at 5ghz at 1.35v with temps never going past 80c even on Aida64 for hour long tests. Other things play factors to like case design and if you've done flow tests to make sure the cooling in general isn't playing a factor, I played with that concept by running benches w/o cable management with sh*t hanging and splitting the airflow and it made a pretty big difference, roughly 5-10c. Greedy, yes they are... but.. people building PC's these days may just take a cheap approach and a quick one then start running into throttling problems and going to google to find internet experts and have a conclusion drawn that drags people to unnecessary conclusions. Always make sure you look at it from every angle first, like i'll never buy another non-reference GPU again ever after finding out that you can get temps waaay lower by just a basic modification to a NZXT bracket to fit under the reference shell. I can utilize the blower fan and have direct flow that exhausts out the back that also puts more air over the water block and keep all that hot air out of my case at which right now my new 1080ti doesn't even go anywhere near 40c on hard benching.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools.html

Download magician and do any updates it has for your SSD

So, now that is has been a bit of time, I downloaded Magician, did the update, etc.

I even attempted to use the feature to boost the speed, which didn't do anything.

Game still loads very slow, but, most other programs open right away with no issue.

I am debating if it is my video card, but, I feel it shouldn't be. Certain areas of the game, in optimized graphics, which are almost maxed, my FPS is sometimes over 100+. Then, once I get in a crowded area, the FPS drops to almost 20 or 30, and VERY SLOWLY, goes back up.

Never really happened before as I ran this game perfectly on an old 560ti card years back without issue. The 970 was great when I first got it, but, noticed it started to "struggle", if you will.

helloWorld

Established Member
I am not looking to argue with anyone, but this is a fun video that should be watched about cable management and cooling. The results might surprise some people.

mr2cam

Established Member
Just bought star trek bridge crew to use with my vive, wow that game is awesome!!

Jmurrz

Established Member
All depends if you got a CPU out of a good batch. I haven't delided my last 3 CPUs because they held very low voltage for the speed on a stable clock. Deliding is a mess in its own because if you end up with a good CPU out of the box doing a delid will only see a very minor decrease making it not worth a risk. Comes down to comparing other peoples results really, I mean its totally wasted time if you are well within range for the OC you want voltage wise. Right now i'm testing an 4790k and its stable at 5.2ghz at 1.45v and maintains easily at 5ghz at 1.35v with temps never going past 80c even on Aida64 for hour long tests. Other things play factors to like case design and if you've done flow tests to make sure the cooling in general isn't playing a factor, I played with that concept by running benches w/o cable management with sh*t hanging and splitting the airflow and it made a pretty big difference, roughly 5-10c. Greedy, yes they are... but.. people building PC's these days may just take a cheap approach and a quick one then start running into throttling problems and going to google to find internet experts and have a conclusion drawn that drags people to unnecessary conclusions. Always make sure you look at it from every angle first, like i'll never buy another non-reference GPU again ever after finding out that you can get temps waaay lower by just a basic modification to a NZXT bracket to fit under the reference shell. I can utilize the blower fan and have direct flow that exhausts out the back that also puts more air over the water block and keep all that hot air out of my case at which right now my new 1080ti doesn't even go anywhere near 40c on hard benching.

I knew someone would say something like that about the delid. That is precisely why I benchmarked before and after the delid.

I used the SAME 5.0GHZ Overclock, same thermal paste, same Cryorig H7 cooler and did it hours between eachother both running Aida64. Before delid - Less than 10 seconds my temps were in the high 80's, I got maybe 20 seconds before I hit 90's and @ 30 seconds I hit 100 and got throttle.

After the delid I did the exact same test with all other variables the same (including voltage) and after 5 minutes when I stopped the test the hottest core only hit 82* and that was a quick spike. The average was just about 60*.

I did the exact test with my Kraken X62 and after running it for 10 minutes I had a high of 72* and an average of 53*

So no, I was not just drawing "unnecessary conclusions".

gs98cobra

Established Member
20170523_233103 by gwloving98, on Flickr 20170523_233114 by gwloving98, on Flickr 20170523_232953 by gwloving98, on Flickr

Had it all set up for the holiday.
Vah5zx
34891894361_db659e1002_b.jpg

Last edited:

SVTFastBack

Established Member
Was just saying for people thinking about doing that is if it runs fine and you can hit your numbers/voltage/temp you're safer and better off not risking your CPU for the minimal benefits you gain. Deliding is scary as sh*t trying to go for like 5c lower across the entire heat benching spread, most of the time and a lot of people that I talked with had the same thoughts, if you have to go that far as to risk your CPU then its probably a chip that came out of a bad batch and will just run hotter then average anyways. I would tho, delid if I was running on air but most people have even the basic H55's for cooling or something similar. I just see the need for the process not really necessary for people that are fresh starting into the OC world or have little knowledge. Didn't mean to offend you, I was just sayin that most people run Intel chips and they don't all need it, i've done 2 delids but it was just for benching on an i5 and i7 and it wasn't heat related and i've only ran across maybe one Intel chip that needed something like that.

SVTFastBack

Established Member
"I am not looking to argue with anyone, but this is a fun video that should be watched about cable management and cooling. The results might surprise some people."

All of linus stuff is good but the one thing they never talk about is your specific situation and how you have everything configured, they can test and show you results all day long but thats their rigs. I had massive
turbulence from letting every wire hang out in front of my intakes and when I put smoke through it I could actually see little swirls and it was creating a heat bubble disrupting flow. On an air setup, that could give you a bad day.

Bandit5.4

Slow driver
Established Member
As a console gamer that is now looking into PC gaming, I could use some direction.

I bought an OLD Dell XPS 420 at a garage sale last year. Been using it for basic pc stuff, running Windows 7 64bit. It's ok but it suffers bad with newer games. What can i do to give this old rig a good boost?

Kiohtee

Established Member
@SVTFastBack - is any of your experience with de-lidding based on Kaby Lake chips? If not, your input is invalid. Kaby Lake chips run much hotter than their Skylake counterparts and other equivalent chips. Period. Intel screwed the pooch on this one and anyone dropping $275-350 on a chip needs to suck it up and spend another $75 on a proper de-lid.

@Bandit5.4 - respectfully, start by throwing it out and starting over. From the DDR2 RAM to the Bearlake processor, you'll be changing out everything anyway, if modern gaming is your goal. You could always try keeping the case and building a 'sleeper PC', but some cases are not friendly to that notion.

Users who are viewing this thread