Who is into building PC's/Gaming rigs?

Kiohtee

Established Member
A Titan X?! You monster, you! Nice rig!

I really need to get into GPU overclocking.

Jmurrz

Established Member
A Titan X?! You monster, you! Nice rig!

I really need to get into GPU overclocking.

I like overclocking CPU's much more than GPU's. My 1080ti does not like overclocking one bit. I don't see much of a difference even if I can get a stable overclock. The only thing that changes is fan speed and heat. I don't get any noticeable difference in FPS. I feel like games run smoother with a stock OC. Maybe it is just me though

Kiohtee

Established Member
I like overclocking CPU's much more than GPU's. My 1080ti does not like overclocking one bit. I don't see much of a difference even if I can get a stable overclock. The only thing that changes is fan speed and heat. I don't get any noticeable difference in FPS. I feel like games run smoother with a stock OC. Maybe it is just me though

You're probably right. I doubt I'd see much, if any, gain myself. I just know how fun and rewarding it was pushing my CPU to 5.1GHz once I learned the basics of OCing. Lol

Jmurrz

Established Member
You're probably right. I doubt I'd see much, if any, gain myself. I just know how fun and rewarding it was pushing my CPU to 5.1GHz once I learned the basics of OCing. Lol

Agreed completely. I have my 7700k @ 5.1GHz and that was fun and there is a noticeable gain. I don't feel the same way with my 1080ti though.

Ford>Chevy

Established Member
I would be inclined to agree, I really only see an increase in performance in benchmarks (i.e Firestrike or Unigine Valley/Heaven). GPU overclocking for the most part I find is inconsequential to the overall performance of the system. SLI or Crossfire is a much better solution, though still horrible scaling and sometimes none at all with the cost of worse performance and micro stuttering. So I always stand by the following, by the fastest single GPU you can afford, and if it overclocks, great, if it doesn't that's fine too. Doesn't really matter. CPU Overclocking most important imo. I mean with my Titan X Pascal at +190 core and +829 memory, at 4k, my simulator loads the card to 100% usage, yes 100% so I have to reduce AA, and even then, it still heats up to 80 degrees Celsius with the fan at 85%. But with 4k, AA really isn't needed as much as it used to be. I run 4x MSAA and the image is sharp as ever.

Kiohtee

Established Member
I don't run a lot of the extra tidbits like AA and some others, and my games still look awesome IMO. I also play with a 1080/144 setup, so it's probably more crucial there.

I even went through a phase where I turned all my settings down to medium or so. Game performed exceptionally better with not a lot of penalty to the graphics.

Ford>Chevy

Established Member
For reference, here are some pictures from my simulator.
2017-8-12_16-46-26-257.jpg
2017-8-13_0-56-38-530.jpg

Kiohtee

Established Member
I feel like one of these is real and the other is an in-game photo...

sono

Established Member
You guys have guts dropping all that cash on the I9 setups. The reviews on many of the asus boards are not that great. The delid issue is bringing to light the need for 2 water blocks top and bottom. Seems to me the cpu generates two much heat in a smaller surface area even though the overall watts are way less.

I prefer the Frankenstein approach and have been scratching my head for solutions. My setup can handle 600-800 watts but theirs no way to get it to the coolers properly.
download.php

upload_2017-8-14_15-8-7.png

Hard to read, but it's a 7700k @4800 running mid 70s c with prime 95.
My cooling is not even remotely being used, but I cant control heat intensity in that small of an area. Also 1070 peaks at like 44c with a 125mhz bump.

sono

Established Member
Oh ps you can see the heat spikes on the graph everybody complains about with the 7th gen stuff.

quad

Established Member
You guys have guts dropping all that cash on the I9 setups. The reviews on many of the asus boards are not that great. The delid issue is bringing to light the need for 2 water blocks top and bottom. Seems to me the cpu generates two much heat in a smaller surface area even though the overall watts are way less.

I prefer the Frankenstein approach and have been scratching my head for solutions. My setup can handle 600-800 watts but theirs no way to get it to the coolers properly.
download.php

View attachment 429442

Hard to read, but it's a 7700k @4800 running mid 70s c with prime 95.
My cooling is not even remotely being used, but I cant control heat intensity in that small of an area. Also 1070 peaks at like 44c with a 125mhz bump.
Not sure about these reviews you mention. So far my I9 setup is working out great at 4.6 GHZ on a budget ASUS X299 board. Here are the temps with moderate usage (a few browsers open, a few programs running). I did a stress test with CPUZ and the CPU Package went up to 76 degrees Celsius. With the normal single and multi threading CPUZ bench the temps went up to about 55.

The I9 was close to 5 times faster than my wife's 8350 FX with the Blender BMW render test. And I know the 8350 outperformed my quad core Intel CPU in my old setup. I'll do some comparisons.

36430889392_610fe782f8_b.jpg

quad

Established Member
I have the LEDs hooked up - some are outside the case behind the monitors and on both sides of the desk. I have two Hue+ controllers, one for the lights in the case and one for the lights outside. Both are set to just fade between colors. There are quite a few presets but I think I'll just leave it like this. You can also set the Hue+ to "Smart" mode where the colors change depending on the temperature of your GPU. CPU or FPS. In "Audio" mode the colors sync with music played on the computer.

36202921910_836148d329_h.jpg

36430769662_0d3ea12756_b.jpg

36202922010_f5af7180f0_b.jpg

Kiohtee

Established Member
Kickass setup man, really! Would love an i9 myself, but at this point it would be just to say I have it, because it wouldn't offer me anything over my i7 in my application. :(

quad

Established Member
Kickass setup man, really! Would love an i9 myself, but at this point it would be just to say I have it, because it wouldn't offer me anything over my i7 in my application. :(
Thanks Zhisel!

I agree with you. For gaming it is overkill. Only reason I got it was because Micro Center was selling it for 899. It was going for a lot more everywhere else. And I do use workstation software besides gaming so the extra cores will be handy.

So far the machine is stable with extreme overclocking (>4.6 GHZ / >3.2 GHZ RAM) set in the BIOS. With one exception. Adobe Premiere 2017 CC will crash and actually bring down the whole system with a BSOD when you scrub a video on the timeline. I disabled audio scrubbing as recommended by others but even that made no difference. It is a common issue for some people. I reduced the overclocking setting in the bios to everyday use (4.6 GHZ / 3.2 GHZ RAM) and Premiere lasted a little longer but still caused a BSOD. The solution of course is to disable overclocking but keep RAM at 3.2 GHZ. Premiere will not crash once this is done.

I checked temperatures while scrubbing with overclocking on and it went up past 70 degrees Celsius while dragging the slider back and forth and then seconds later the whole system BSODs.

I installed Blackmagic Design's DaVinci Resolve and the very same video that crashes Premiere worked fine with Resolve and 4.6 GHZ overclocking. Temperatures stayed normal even with audio scrubbing enabled. So Adobe is doing something that causes these issues. I guess I'll be using Resolve from now on and it is free also. Adobe really needs to straighten out their stuff. Adobe Acrobat also sucks in many ways and I switched to Bluebeam which blows Acrobat out of the water.

SVTFastBack

Established Member
There's no way i'd buy a Ryzen or i9 right now, with how k9df0s8sj annoying drivers are and other bits and ends, i'll wait a year for them to really figure it out lol.

sono

Established Member
Good to hear your setup is running well "quad". Your temps look good, but I'm talking "prime 95" peaks. Seems like something is up although I'm sure the games are not optimized yet.
upload_2017-8-16_18-44-36.png

upload_2017-8-16_18-45-14.png

upload_2017-8-16_18-45-42.png

mr2cam

Established Member
Thanks Zhisel!

I agree with you. For gaming it is overkill. Only reason I got it was because Micro Center was selling it for 899. It was going for a lot more everywhere else. And I do use workstation software besides gaming so the extra cores will be handy.

So far the machine is stable with extreme overclocking (>4.6 GHZ / >3.2 GHZ RAM) set in the BIOS. With one exception. Adobe Premiere 2017 CC will crash and actually bring down the whole system with a BSOD when you scrub a video on the timeline. I disabled audio scrubbing as recommended by others but even that made no difference. It is a common issue for some people. I reduced the overclocking setting in the bios to everyday use (4.6 GHZ / 3.2 GHZ RAM) and Premiere lasted a little longer but still caused a BSOD. The solution of course is to disable overclocking but keep RAM at 3.2 GHZ. Premiere will not crash once this is done.

I checked temperatures while scrubbing with overclocking on and it went up past 70 degrees Celsius while dragging the slider back and forth and then seconds later the whole system BSODs.

I installed Blackmagic Design's DaVinci Resolve and the very same video that crashes Premiere worked fine with Resolve and 4.6 GHZ overclocking. Temperatures stayed normal even with audio scrubbing enabled. So Adobe is doing something that causes these issues. I guess I'll be using Resolve from now on and it is free also. Adobe really needs to straighten out their stuff. Adobe Acrobat also sucks in many ways and I switched to Bluebeam which blows Acrobat out of the water.

Try dialing that ram back and keep your overclock at 4.6, most of the time when you go for your peak OC you may not be able to run your ram speed at the advertised speed, especially in the enthusiast chips. For example my 6850k will do 4.5ghz but I have to back my ram off to 2666mhz, but at 4.4ghz I can run 3000mhz, so you will have to give up one or the other.

quad

Established Member
Try dialing that ram back and keep your overclock at 4.6, most of the time when you go for your peak OC you may not be able to run your ram speed at the advertised speed, especially in the enthusiast chips. For example my 6850k will do 4.5ghz but I have to back my ram off to 2666mhz, but at 4.4ghz I can run 3000mhz, so you will have to give up one or the other.
Thanks for the advice. I dialed it down to 3000 MHZ and kept the CPU at 4.6. I was able to scrub in Premiere for a little longer but it would still BSOD. I can reduce the RAM speed even more but decided to just start using DaVinci Resolve for scrubbing. So the RAM is back to 3200 and CPU at 4.6 and it is rock solid. I can even use Premiere completely so long as I don't scrub the video. Hopefully Adobe will bring out a patch for it.

The I9 / 1080TI / 128 GB RAM combo is working great so far. I converted my old computer with 4 drives to a VMWARE image and can boot that up in VMWARE Workstation. It basically has Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10 all on separate virtual drives attached to the virtual Machine! And the virtual machines can run at 4K! The old tower is going to my mom's house for now but I wanted access to the old files and did not feel like reinstalling a ton of software and settings on the new system.

I tried out Doom 2016 at 4K with Nightmare settings enabled and the FPS is close to 100. In the future I could add another 1080TI if games become more demanding and I am sure the prices will come down as Nvidia releases new graphics cards.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread