Who is into building PC's/Gaming rigs?

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Got mine all set up finally.

View attachment 1537384
nice rig. I built mine 3 years ago and built it to last and be upgradeable when the time comes. Gaming wise The only game I play anymore is World of Warcraft and as long as it plays that just fine I will leave it be. WoW still plays on my mac and dell laptops as well so I can play anywhere in the house LOL

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
I need some guidance. I need to upgrade. I have a 1080ti duke edition. Can someone recommend a mother board, ram and intel processor to go with it? I only play pubg. My amd black edition 8 core is a bottle neck so I need to upgrade mb, ram and cpu.

got these two picked out. Just need RAM.

mother board:
ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z390 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

cpu:
Intel Core i7-8700K Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) 95W BX80684I78700K Desktop Processor Intel UHD Graphics 630 - Newegg.com

edit* nevermind. i ordered what i hope works....

Last edited:

Kiohtee

Established Member
Theory time...

If I'm absolutely in love with a game (or games) that are poorly optimized for PC, be it because it's a crappy port or because there are unofficial aftermarket modifications tapping into the game's architecture, would overbuilding a PC hide some of the poor optimization? For instance; I can run a vanilla copy of GTA V on Ultra settings at close to consistent 60 FPS (1920x1080 60Hz display), but with a graphics overhaul and my LSPDFR mod, I run at about 50 FPS on High (two steps below Ultra) with dips into the lower 40's.

It is my estimation, bear with me here, that an i9-9900K and an RTX 2080 Ti would solidly produce 100 FPS on Ultra, and if not, at least at my current High settings. With the aforementioned modifications mind you. That would give me enough margin (on the same 1080/60) to essentially hide the dip from 100 to maybe 75 FPS or so, right? I know it's asinine to think about an i9-9900K and an RTX 2080 Ti sitting in a rig powering a 1920x1080 60Hz panel, but quality is very important to me and I strive to provide a seamless viewing experience on my YouTube channel.

mr2cam

Established Member
Theory time...

If I'm absolutely in love with a game (or games) that are poorly optimized for PC, be it because it's a crappy port or because there are unofficial aftermarket modifications tapping into the game's architecture, would overbuilding a PC hide some of the poor optimization? For instance; I can run a vanilla copy of GTA V on Ultra settings at close to consistent 60 FPS (1920x1080 60Hz display), but with a graphics overhaul and my LSPDFR mod, I run at about 50 FPS on High (two steps below Ultra) with dips into the lower 40's.

It is my estimation, bear with me here, that an i9-9900K and an RTX 2080 Ti would solidly produce 100 FPS on Ultra, and if not, at least at my current High settings. With the aforementioned modifications mind you. That would give me enough margin (on the same 1080/60) to essentially hide the dip from 100 to maybe 75 FPS or so, right? I know it's asinine to think about an i9-9900K and an RTX 2080 Ti sitting in a rig powering a 1920x1080 60Hz panel, but quality is very important to me and I strive to provide a seamless viewing experience on my YouTube channel.

What is your GPU usage when running the GTAV mod compared to just regular GTAV? Same with cpu usage? 2080ti is way overkill for 1080p, they have shown that even with a 9900k a 2080ti will bottleneck your cpu. I switched from a 2560x1440 monitor to a 3440x1440 ultrawide, and I actually gained a few fps in call of duty compared to the lower resolution, CPU usage was higher then GPU usage at 2560, now at ultrawide gpu usage stays up in the high 90% range which is where you want it.

Kiohtee

Established Member
What is your GPU usage when running the GTAV mod compared to just regular GTAV? Same with cpu usage? 2080ti is way overkill for 1080p, they have shown that even with a 9900k a 2080ti will bottleneck your cpu. I switched from a 2560x1440 monitor to a 3440x1440 ultrawide, and I actually gained a few fps in call of duty compared to the lower resolution, CPU usage was higher then GPU usage at 2560, now at ultrawide gpu usage stays up in the high 90% range which is where you want it.

As soon as my processing and uploading are finished I will get you some hard numbers on GTA V with mods. It might take a minute to get them without mods as I'll have to backup another 100+GB, but I'll get them tonight too. Heck, I'll throw them together in one post.

Tubra

Established Member
My build:

Intel Core i9 9900k O/C'd to 5.1GHz on all cores
EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC Ultra O/C'd to 2070MHz (130% Power limit bios)
Asus RoG Maximus Hero XI
Samsung 970 Pro 1TB NVMe m.2 SSD
2x 500GB Samsung EVO 850 SSDs for storage
16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz
EVGA 1000watt GQ PSU
Corsair Hydro H115i Platinum 280mm AIO Cooler
6x Corsair ML120 Pro 120mm RGB fans
Lian Li PC-011DW Arctic White
Blu-Ray player snuck into 2nd PSU housing.

The system is connected to a 65" TCL 4k TV. Games tested are: GTA V, Forza Horizon 4, Project Cars 2 (Thrustmaster TMX Pro), Star Wars Battlefront 2, Crysis 3, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (aka the GPU cooker with 75C degree temps on the 2080ti) and Doom.

All games run pretty much maxed out with the exception of high-end anti-aliasing on some titles. 4k is still remarkably unforgiving. Mind you, this is all with overclocking, nvidia control panel tweaks favoring performance, no frames rendered ahead, etc. I'm sure once newer drivers come out things will improve slightly, but for the most part, solid-locked 60fps max setting is attainable. Tested game results: GTA V runs 60fps at 4k with everything (including PCSS shadows) maxed except MSAA; I use FXAA. Forza Horizon 4 60fps 4k HDR with everything maxed-out including 8x MSAA. Project Cars 2- 60fps 4k with everything maxed and mid tier AA. Battlefront 2- solid 60fps at 4k HDR everything maxed including DX12 and PCSS shadowing. Crysis 3 60fps solid at 4k with no AA on, but I literally cannot see any improvement with it on, it's one of those games with indiscernible AA on or off. Hellblade is the cooker; it runs the GPU at 75C but pumps out solid 60fps at 4k with HDR and everything maxed out. I have to remove the side glass panel to get it to drop to 62C as this game rides the GPU like a farm kid on an unassuming hog. The glass reflects heat and the card's cooling just dumps it's heat out the side. I am waiting for the EVGA liquid AIO cooler to drop as the GPU is the only real noise maker. Last game I tested was Doom; it runs 60fps with everything maxed out but it makes me absolutely motion sick beyond belief and I can't really play it much.

The case is configured following Gamer's Nexus guide on their best tested fan placement for this model; 3 intakes at the bottom, 3 at the side, and the AIO cooler at top exhausting with placement forward in the case as much as possible to avoid the GPU's waste. Temps are remarkably cool on the CPU with Hellblade, which I consider the stress tester game. Everything else runs extremely cool with nothing really going over 50C at heavy loads. Idle is always around 35C with fans on silent. I expect improvements with the GPU AIO. Overall the system is pretty silent. These ML120 fans are very quiet and are no joke. The RGB is ridiculous and everything is controlled by Corsair's iQue except for the mobo's RGB which is too dim and obscured to be noticed and the GPU RGB. Gaming is nuts on this setup. 60fps at 4k with maxed out settings on many titles is just a whole other level of existence. The next best thing and something I consider the next standard would be 120Hz and above. I used to play on a 1080p HDTV with it's built-in "120Hz" mode and it absolutely worked for gaming, but you need to feed it a solid 60FPS. All in all I'm quite pleased, this is indeed a treat.

IMG_8137.jpg

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Can anyone make a recommendation on a mobo/cpu combo for the next build? I haven't built one in quite a few years, and am looking to build 2 for myself and the wife. Debating the H370 chip or the newer Z390. Hers is mainly for photo processing, mine is for games and whatever else. The same mobo would be ideal, with one getting the faster CPU, GPU, and more RAM over the other more than likely.

I stay out of OCing for the most part, beyond what the ASUS BIOS has allowed me to do on idiot mode.

Intervention302

Established Member
Can anyone make a recommendation on a mobo/cpu combo for the next build? I haven't built one in quite a few years, and am looking to build 2 for myself and the wife. Debating the H370 chip or the newer Z390. Hers is mainly for photo processing, mine is for games and whatever else. The same mobo would be ideal, with one getting the faster CPU, GPU, and more RAM over the other more than likely.

I stay out of OCing for the most part, beyond what the ASUS BIOS has allowed me to do on idiot mode.

I was planning on doing eVGA Z390 with a 9700k with 16GB RAM. Would be a killer system out of the box at a semi reasonable price

But, my current rig [email protected] with my GTX1080 plays everything great at 2.5K so I'm going to hold off upgrading for a bit more. My Gigabyte Ultra Durable model MB has been great

Kiohtee

Established Member

Let me preface this by admitting that understanding values isn't my strong suit, but if I'm understanding what is being shown here, the game seems to actually run better with LSPDFR loaded despite the FPS drops? And yes, I have double and triple checked that these photos are labeled right. I didn't leave room in the process to confuse the two results anyway, so what we're seeing here is 100% accurate.

My setup again, as you can see, is an i7-8750H and a GTX 1070. I really feel that it just isn't enough hardware to power GTA V with LSPDFR. The game itself may be well optimized, but we're doing things inside GTA V with Rage Plugin Hook and LSPDFR that the game never intended for us to do. Having said that, good frames are definitely achievable as you can watch some of the top LSPDFR YouTuber's, and with their game loaded with mods they're still achieving smooth frames on high(er) settings.

Unless of course this is a totally inaccurate way of monitoring and this isn't in the least what you meant. Please let me know where you would go personally, and others too, from here.

BASE GAME
Base Gaming.PNG

WITH LSPDFR LOADED
LSPDFR Gaming.PNG

Note: My i7-7700K/GTX 1070 combo also struggled in the same regard. Fine without mods, drops (sometimes severe) with.

mr2cam

Established Member
Looking at those charts your GPU % is way down, like 30%. That could be a few different things, one is that the graphics engine is poorly optimized (granted I know it is the same GTAV engine but they obviously have changed some values). Also one of your cores is at 100%, and the others are also very high, have you tried turning some of the graphics options up, like AA all the way up and see if your frames drop even more? I might have to download this mod and test it out myself.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Zhisel, Im surprised a GTX1070 cannot max out GTAV at 1080P. Probably just upgrade the GPU. No need to go overkill and get everything new, from what I remember you're on a gaming laptop? That's the problem right there, then I would build a new rig.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Looking at those charts your GPU % is way down, like 30%. That could be a few different things, one is that the graphics engine is poorly optimized (granted I know it is the same GTAV engine but they obviously have changed some values). Also one of your cores is at 100%, and the others are also very high, have you tried turning some of the graphics options up, like AA all the way up and see if your frames drop even more? I might have to download this mod and test it out myself.

Upping any graphical settings does indeed lower my performance. If you decide to give this mod a try though, let me know. This mod is very temperamental and you could very well have a hard time getting it to work. But someone else confirming these issues would be great.

Zhisel, Im surprised a GTX1070 cannot max out GTAV at 1080P. Probably just upgrade the GPU. No need to go overkill and get everything new, from what I remember you're on a gaming laptop? That's the problem right there, then I would build a new rig.

GTA V is actually a graphically demanding game. The grass is one of the biggest settings that can take someone from 60 FPS to 25-30 FPS. But of course, not being critical to what I'm doing, my grass is turned all the way down. I'm heavily considering an i9-9900K and an RTX 2080 Ti and maybe bumping to a 1440 display.

JD03Cobra

Who's your Daddy!
Established Member
Great setup! The only bummer is the limitations of your TV @ 60fps. I made the switch to a Asus Rog 35" Curved 3440 x 1440p @ 100Hz. While smaller than your TV but amazing the difference.

My build:

Intel Core i9 9900k O/C'd to 5.1GHz on all cores
EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC Ultra O/C'd to 2070MHz (130% Power limit bios)
Asus RoG Maximus Hero XI
Samsung 970 Pro 1TB NVMe m.2 SSD
2x 500GB Samsung EVO 850 SSDs for storage
16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz
EVGA 1000watt GQ PSU
Corsair Hydro H115i Platinum 280mm AIO Cooler
6x Corsair ML120 Pro 120mm RGB fans
Lian Li PC-011DW Arctic White
Blu-Ray player snuck into 2nd PSU housing.

The system is connected to a 65" TCL 4k TV. Games tested are: GTA V, Forza Horizon 4, Project Cars 2 (Thrustmaster TMX Pro), Star Wars Battlefront 2, Crysis 3, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (aka the GPU cooker with 75C degree temps on the 2080ti) and Doom.

All games run pretty much maxed out with the exception of high-end anti-aliasing on some titles. 4k is still remarkably unforgiving. Mind you, this is all with overclocking, nvidia control panel tweaks favoring performance, no frames rendered ahead, etc. I'm sure once newer drivers come out things will improve slightly, but for the most part, solid-locked 60fps max setting is attainable. Tested game results: GTA V runs 60fps at 4k with everything (including PCSS shadows) maxed except MSAA; I use FXAA. Forza Horizon 4 60fps 4k HDR with everything maxed-out including 8x MSAA. Project Cars 2- 60fps 4k with everything maxed and mid tier AA. Battlefront 2- solid 60fps at 4k HDR everything maxed including DX12 and PCSS shadowing. Crysis 3 60fps solid at 4k with no AA on, but I literally cannot see any improvement with it on, it's one of those games with indiscernible AA on or off. Hellblade is the cooker; it runs the GPU at 75C but pumps out solid 60fps at 4k with HDR and everything maxed out. I have to remove the side glass panel to get it to drop to 62C as this game rides the GPU like a farm kid on an unassuming hog. The glass reflects heat and the card's cooling just dumps it's heat out the side. I am waiting for the EVGA liquid AIO cooler to drop as the GPU is the only real noise maker. Last game I tested was Doom; it runs 60fps with everything maxed out but it makes me absolutely motion sick beyond belief and I can't really play it much.

The case is configured following Gamer's Nexus guide on their best tested fan placement for this model; 3 intakes at the bottom, 3 at the side, and the AIO cooler at top exhausting with placement forward in the case as much as possible to avoid the GPU's waste. Temps are remarkably cool on the CPU with Hellblade, which I consider the stress tester game. Everything else runs extremely cool with nothing really going over 50C at heavy loads. Idle is always around 35C with fans on silent. I expect improvements with the GPU AIO. Overall the system is pretty silent. These ML120 fans are very quiet and are no joke. The RGB is ridiculous and everything is controlled by Corsair's iQue except for the mobo's RGB which is too dim and obscured to be noticed and the GPU RGB. Gaming is nuts on this setup. 60fps at 4k with maxed out settings on many titles is just a whole other level of existence. The next best thing and something I consider the next standard would be 120Hz and above. I used to play on a 1080p HDTV with it's built-in "120Hz" mode and it absolutely worked for gaming, but you need to feed it a solid 60FPS. All in all I'm quite pleased, this is indeed a treat.

View attachment 1540704

Users who are viewing this thread