Who likes mid 60s HEMI MOPARS?

03cobra 87GN

Established Member
My dad got a new car figured I'd share it with you since I think its pretty badass.

Its a 65 Plymouth Belvedere I, its a tribute car to the A990 superstock option you could buy. The A990 option was basically a race car and wasn't intended for street use best to my knowledge. In 64 the 426 hemi made its debut and it was a race only option the street hemi didn't come out till 66. the race hemis as the were called had magnesium cross ram intake set ups and starting in 65 had aluminum heads. Cars also had a stripped down interior with van seats and aluminum seat mounts and aluminum fenders. Just some brief history on the a990 super stock mopars.

Back to his car, car was just restored and is a tribute to an a990 not a real one. But this car has a documented race hemi engine that was rebuilt and detuned a bit for street duty. Was originally raced by the ramchargers. and block has there stamped along with a letter from one of the original members confirming the markings they made to keep track of their engines. its a .03 over 426 hemi with 12.1 compression (I think, trying to remember off top of head). balanced rotating assembly, .597 lift solid lifter cam. with two eldelbrock 750cfm carbs on a dual quad intake not the cross ram since the dual quad is apparently more street able. We may end up putting a cross ram back on with two holleys, not sure yet. car is a 727 torqueflite tranny with a manual valve body and period correct B&M shifter.

I know he bought the car done already but he just retired and didn't want to restore a car just wanted to enjoy one. he sold the 68 Plymouth GTX he had that was an original 440 numbers matching 4 spd car but it need to be restored the body needed some tlc we already did the drive train and hes restored cars before and didn't want to get in all that again he told me.

on to some pics.

When we picked it up. was about an 8hr drive away we lift Fri night a midnight and drove through the night.
Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

On the way home with the rented U-haul trailer which actually had a blow on way home that was fun...:lol1:
Untitled

The day after we got it back. even though car was just restored there are little things here and there that need to be fixed or changed. that is my dad looking at the dipstick I was just under car and got up to take a pic don't mind him.
Untitled

I plan on getting some videos soon after the motor is completely broken in.
Hope you guys like it:coolman:

prs97

Established Member
Awesome. Nothing like the sight of an elephant under the hood.

oldmachguy

Established Member
That is absolutely awesome. Reminds me of "The Little Old Lady From Pasadena."

But parked in a rickety old garage
Is a brand new shiny red super super stock Dodge.

jleews6

Established Member
That car is cool. I always liked the 990 cars. I know a guy that bought a Max wedge car brand new and still has it today. He never raced it or modded it. I also have a good friend that has one of the three Hemi Colts built buy Dodge to experiment with them for pro stock.
Tell dad congrats ,Its a cool car.

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Congrats to him. A true American icon!
Mopar or no car........and SVT

03cobra 87GN

Established Member
Thanks guys he's pretty happy, I'm probably just as excited, I think this thing is badass. It sounds mean as hell with that compression and cam through 3inch exhaust.

I agree with the air cleaner, I have a feeling a Mopar performance cross ram will be going on. I would love to get an original magnesium one for him for Xmas or bday but I looked online the other day and cheapest I saw was 3500 just for intake lol.

And the truck was really nice it was 2014 ram 2500 outdoorsman. He actually had to rent it. He has new tacoma and we didnt feel comfortable towing with that from upstate NY to DE. I just thought it was a cool picture when we stopped of a hemi towing a hemi lol.

That's awesome about the max wedge car. Those were cool ass motors and that car is worth some serious coin too. Was it a 413 or 426 wedge?

Oh and please excuse all the typos in original post I didn't look over what I wrote my gf was calling for me for help with something so I was rushing.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That is a really good looking '65 Belvedere. Brings back some fond memories. A local guy back in the day had a Hemi '65. He was legendary. Congrats to your dad! :)

Too bad he sold the '68 GTX. One of my favorite years, second to the '69. Understand why he did, though.

VegasMichael

Established Member
I have always loved 60s and early 70s Mopars. Came close to buying one a few years ago, in fact. That is one spectacular looking car your father acquired.

jleews6

Established Member
Thanks guys he's pretty happy, I'm probably just as excited, I think this thing is badass. It sounds mean as hell with that compression and cam through 3inch exhaust.

I agree with the air cleaner, I have a feeling a Mopar performance cross ram will be going on. I would love to get an original magnesium one for him for Xmas or bday but I looked online the other day and cheapest I saw was 3500 just for intake lol.

And the truck was really nice it was 2014 ram 2500 outdoorsman. He actually had to rent it. He has new tacoma and we didnt feel comfortable towing with that from upstate NY to DE. I just thought it was a cool picture when we stopped of a hemi towing a hemi lol.

That's awesome about the max wedge car. Those were cool ass motors and that car is worth some serious coin too. Was it a 413 or 426 wedge?

Oh and please excuse all the typos in original post I didn't look over what I wrote my gf was calling for me for help with something so I was rushing.

His car is a 426 car. Him,Richard Petty,Cale Yaborough, and another guy went down and bought them together. His car still has the original exhaust on it with the factory cutouts.

jfsram

Established Member
When I look at the red inner fenders on that 65, I can only imagine how nice the rest of the car is.

What I know about Hemi's. They were "only" 426 cubic inches because of a 7L limit for Nascar. Unlike 440's which only get a bit faster after a cam swap or stroker kit. Hemi's make huge power after either or both. A friend of mine built a Hemi for a show car that was NEVER to be raced. It had a bigger crank so it was 474 cid but since it was only for driving to car shows it was build with a small hydrauilc cam and they lowered the compression ratio. They put it on a dyno to check for oil leaks and just make sure it ran. After 3 pulls it made 610hp and the owner didn't even care. The dyno operator wanted to jet and adjust timing but my friend said, no need. Load it up, I'm taking it home to install in car.

Also see what the F.A.S.T guys do with big cubic in "stock looking" Hemi's. Some are making 800hp with factory intake and exhaust manifolds.

Users who are viewing this thread