Whole house humidifier?

bigmoose

Established Member
I'm looking ahead to the heating season and need to replace my old junky freestanding evaporative humidifier.

I came across this:
Aprilaire Model 800 Whole House Steam Humidifier | Sylvane

I have baseboard fed by a natural gas boiler. No ducts. This unit is available with a simple flush mount wall blower (model 865). Home is about 2k sqft.

Anyone have experience with a whole house steam humidifier?

This unit is very attractive since it's super low maintenance.

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
Every floor guy I ever met told me not to use one. Previous owners of my home had one, the floors were slightly scalloped when we moved in. Redid the floors, took out the humidifier, floors are still perfect.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm looking ahead to the heating season and need to replace my old junky freestanding evaporative humidifier.

I came across this:
Aprilaire Model 800 Whole House Steam Humidifier | Sylvane

I have baseboard fed by a natural gas boiler. No ducts. This unit is available with a simple flush mount wall blower (model 865). Home is about 2k sqft.

Anyone have experience with a whole house steam humidifier?

This unit is very attractive since it's super low maintenance.
Yes, just bought one about 6 months ago. Very dry in Colorado Springs. Not cheap for the steam version, vice the cheap water trickling version. Not sure how yours would work w/o ducts to evenly distribute the moist air.

bigmoose

Established Member
Yes, just bought one about 6 months ago. Very dry in Colorado Springs. Not cheap for the steam version, vice the cheap water trickling version. Not sure how yours would work w/o ducts to evenly distribute the moist air.
My understanding is humidity equalizes very well. My old unit ran downstairs in my cape in the corner of the house and my humidity was pretty even throughout even upstairs. I image the heat rise helped that.

bigmoose

Established Member
Every floor guy I ever met told me not to use one. Previous owners of my home had one, the floors were slightly scalloped when we moved in. Redid the floors, took out the humidifier, floors are still perfect.
That sounds like the humidity was way too high. I would think an even RH throughout the year would be better then the swings from season to season.

Users who are viewing this thread