?who's got a JLP Dual rai with pics

pwildbil

Established Member
Would like to see the JLP dual ram air system before I buy one

Also would like comments from owners on how they like theirs!!!

TIA

mikes03SVT

LSwhat hmm?
Established Member
I can take pictures if someone knows how to post them. forgive me but I am very computer illiteret.

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
i'll take some pics and post em up for ya'll

Last edited:

KWladyka

Enjoying Life
Established Member
On these, just keep in mind that a ram air tube will bring up lots of dirt, grime and little fleck of rocks. I made my own ram air CAI a couple of years ago and have really enjoyed it. The ram air tubes are useful since any box sitting in the engine bay is going to heat up unless it is continuously feed with cooler air. On mine, I built a slot to hold a slide-in "prefilter" over the ram air tube. It does a good job of stopping the dirt and little rocks and bugs that end up get sucked up at speed. A few have actually punched through the thin pre-filter so they can be moving quite fast. After two years my main filter is still very clean as I only need to clean the prefilter. I would think a small round foam free flowing filter in the tube might be a good idea and work well with this kit. Otherwise, your main filter is likely to get really dirty really fast in addition to getting hit with tiny rocks and insects.

pwildbil

Established Member
THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE REPLIES

LTHL VNM: LOVE TO SEE THOSE PICS....ALSO HOW WAS THE INSTALL???

KWladyka: PRE-FILTER!!! GREAT IDEA!!!!...IS THERE A WAY TO DO THIS WITH THE JLP KIT???

TIA

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
i'll try to get the pics up tommorrow after my english test. the install was very easy, the only difficult part was getting the tubes over the round piece on the back of the extra fog-light hole because the tubes are barely bigger and you have to really get em on good and tight so they won't come off. well worth the time

KWladyka

Enjoying Life
Established Member
Originally posted by pwildbil
IS THERE A WAY TO DO THIS WITH THE JLP KIT???

I’m not sure with the JLT but there is surely a way to get it done. If nothing else, a (foam?) skin that goes over the air filter sounds like it could do the trick. You will be glad you have a pre-filter in place once you see how much debris comes up the ram air. I just stretched out a K&N filter and tacked the edges, attached two sleeves and slid the filter over the ram air tube as it enters my air box.

Air goes through it easily but because of the grime I find I have to replace the pre-filter about once a month. I made two so I can just slide a fresh one in while the other is cleaned and oiled. However, because some grit might get through the pre-filter I also coat the inside of my airbox with filter oil as well. Overall this is best method I’ve found to ensure a large flow air while having three preventative methods to stop grit from entering the motor. Although there are many opinions on this subject, it’s hard to deny the great advantage of a direct ram air system. All it needs is a design to remove the grit to make it practical.

Last edited:

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
i like this "pre-filter" idea because it is true, these ram air tubes bring a lot of debris into the air box. tommorrow i'll experiment and see what i can do, thanks for the idea!

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
found a pic for ya'll, let me know if you want another angle or a closer shot.

683700_5.jpg

Last edited:

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
Originally posted by Venomous04
any dyno #'s yet?
I'm about to get in on the JLT CAI GP, but this sounds pretty interesting too..

You can't really dyno a ram air setup...it has to be tested by making a baseline 1/4 run without the ram air installed and then a run with the ram air kit installed. And to be quite frank I doubt if the two runs would really be that different given that the dual ram air is traveling through lots of pipe coming up from the extra fog-light holes.

If the engine was naturally aspirated and the ram air inlet directly attached to the plenum intake then I think it would make a real noticable difference...but not the way they are designed when running them through 4 to 5 feet of hose before it even gets to the primary intake.

People I know who have run March RAM Air kits at the track have all said it really does not make a bit of noticable difference in their times. When I had it on my 97 Cobra it certainly made absolutely no difference.

Waste of money folks....

Last edited:

Cobra03FLA

Titties & Beer!
Established Member
Arent those extra fog light holes there to help cool the heat exchanger and radiator? If you cover them up it might cause a problem?

Miamifan1354

De Chapter of the MACA
Established Member
And look at it this way.. You have a supercharger.. Which is pulling more air than you can ram into the filter any way. You may get some cooling on a long trip because of constant new air, but then your risking big rocks up in the engine bay.

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
Isn't it just halarious when people don't think things through and go out and throw all kinds of junk onto the car that has no real added value???

This is certainly one of those things.....and the people who sale this crap just sit back knowing there is a sucker born everyday.

Users who are viewing this thread