Why a GT midpipe doesn't fit a GT500 - pics

fullboogie

Established Member
Apologies if this has been done before - maybe by TOB.

We all know that a GT midpipe won't fit our cars, but why? While setting up my new Lethal offroad H-pipe on the bench, I thought I'd snap a few pics of it compared to the uplegs of my GT pipe.

First up is the passenger side. As you can see, it is a spot-on perfect match between the two:

IMG_0008_zps1a25c4b9.gif

IMG_0007_zpsee877a00.gif

IMG_0009_zps750c1b6f.gif

However, it is the driver's side that is quite a bit off:

IMG_0002_zps963ce4dd.gif

IMG_0003_zpse4723420.gif

IMG_0004_zps0546cbd9.gif

fullboogie

Established Member
A few pics of the new Lethal offroad H-pipe. It's a quality piece, and definitely worth the money:

IMG_0012_zps475b26fd.gif

IMG_0011-1_zpsbf5e5b64.gif

IMG_0010_zpsd54913d6.gif

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I had yet to take a closer look at this combination. Thanks for adding this to the database here at SVTP.

Looks like Lethal contracted with the right tube bending outfit. That piece appears to be done right, from bends to bung locations, etc. The only improvement I can see would be to at least offer it in 409SS. I look forward in seeing your thoughts once installed.

2nd2none

Established Member
Thats cool. I thought the new pipe was going to be in 2 pieces that you had to bolt together like their X-pipes

fullboogie

Established Member
I had yet to take a closer look at this combination. Thanks for adding this to the database here at SVTP.

Looks like Lethal contracted with the right tube bending outfit. That piece appears to be done right, from bends to bung locations, etc. The only improvement I can see would be to at least offer it in 409SS. I look forward in seeing your thoughts once installed.

This is my 7th Mustang, and I can say I've had a ton of exhaust setups. Although 409SS is sexy, I have to say that I really don't like it on a midpipe. To me, it sounds very "pingy" compared to regular steel tubing - almost like a perpetual exhaust leak despite there not being one. Believe it or not, I'm extremely happy that Lethal chose to do this in aluminized steel rather than SS.

Thats cool. I thought the new pipe was going to be in 2 pieces that you had to bolt together like their X-pipes

For whatever reason, my camera did not pick up that detail. The midpipe is, in fact, a 2 piece unit. It splits at the crossover pipe. A U-clamp is included with the kit, but I will have mine welded once I fit it up to the car.

By the way, I'll do a short review with pics once I install it next weekend.

Last edited:

fullboogie

Established Member
By the way, when's the last time you saw a crossover look like this? Never. You're lucky to see a quarter-sized hole there. I am very impressed.

IMG_0015_zpsbb7a0da5.gif

IMG_0014_zps17f425d0.gif

Last edited:

andymarkv

Established Member
NICE!!! There was a thread this summer kicking around how to mod a GT H pipe, nice to actually see where the differences are.
It does look fairly simple to mod a GT pipe to fit, but the new Lethal pipe makes it kind of pointless unless you have the pipe and skills to do it DIRT cheap!

Can't wait to hear your report after you get it on there!
I won't be able to install mine until this spring.....

adamb258

Established Member
I am wondering how hard it would be to mod a prochamber to fit our cars . . . .

Users who are viewing this thread