Why all the out cry over Street Racing?

2000gt4.6

Established Member
I will make that statement, because its true. No one said doing 120 down a road was ok even if you aren't racing anyone.

Edit: I am making that statement because the people who can typically afford the cars are "older" and some don't have the need to race people.

We're not talking about racing, but spirited driving. My father is 55+, hasn't had a speeding ticket in 30+ years. Owns a small business, stand up guy etc. Bought his 13 GT500 in cash. The fastest I've been in a car was his, with him driving. According to some, us doing 160+ mph on the empty/straight 2 lane is far different than had we done it next to another car somehow.

Of the majority of buyers are buying for status why are we not seeing tons of V6 cars with clone kits? Comeon.

I don't really have a dog in this fight, but I heavily disagree. There is a massive difference in street racing through in traffic with another person vs spirited driving by yourself on an empty road. "Spirited" driving on a busy road is also asinine.

I think most people would be far more comfortable with the thought of street racing if it was done only on deserted roads that were blocked off from any innocent drivers. The only concern at that point is when one of the spectators is run over by a car that gets loose and there is no help available for 30 minutes, but you reap what you sow.

Absolutely. It's far far different. It's also far far different for two people to race on a deserted road vs in town, or deserted racing out of town vs 100+ MPH on busy streets.

There is NO way to do "spirited driving" responsibly just like there is no way to street race responsibly. But there are ways to do it a hell of alot safer than others.

In the same way a spirited drive down a country road is OK, so too can street racing be perfectly fine. I've done it many, many times where the only people in "danger" where those in the two cars.

There are those here and elsewhere however that will say all street racing is reprehensible etc, but at the same time are daily driving 600 HP cars..... And I'm saying that statistically there are more deaths and injuries (by a long, long way) from pure speed than racing. So unless you NEVER exceed the limit by 1mph, or accelerate hard, aren't you guilty of a worse crime?

Edit: and I'm sorry, but no way, no how are people buying these for prestige and not speed. Why do the HP numbers keep skyrocketing? And who is plopping 60, 80, or 100k down on mustang/Camaro/hellcat/vette to never drive it hard except on the track? Nobody, that's who.

nxhappy

Established Member
totally depends on the area and the traffic ....racing on the highway is just ****ing retarded .

plenty of country roads where no other cars are driving. In the right environment I would consider street racing OK...

and yes, cell phones cause more accidents than street racing. So does alcohol.

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
street racing is a stupid activity engaged in by single digit IQ idiots. there is no reason for it, and no excuses for it. you want to race take it to the track otherwise you get what you ask for when you wreck and you wind up in jail.

Is there anything you post that isn't so senior-citizen minded? The way I see it, people wanna street race and they do it privately without endangering anyone else present, who the **** cares? Let 'em do it. There's really no reason for a lot of things we do. The other day, me and some friends played football. No reason for doing it but we did. Someone showed me a compilation video of random people crashing dirt bikes and ATVs. No reason why those people did it, they just did.

• In 2001, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reported that police listed street racing as a factor in 135 fatal crashes. The total was up from 72 street-racing-related fatalities reported in 2000.

• According to the California Office of Traffic Safety, more than 800 citations for illegal street racing were issued in 2001.

• In San Diego, where the street racing problem has been termed "epidemic," 16 deaths and 31 injuries were directly related to illegal street racing in 2001. The city's attorney's office prosecuted 147 illegal street racing cases in 1999, 161 in 2000, and 290 in 2001.

• In Florida in 2001, 7,216 citations were issued for racing on the highway.

• In 1999, the Florida Department of Highway and Safety for Motor Vehicles reported 28 accidents related to illegal street racing, with 2 fatalities and 27 injuries. In 2000, the agency reported 39 racing accidents, with 1 fatality and 55 injuries. In 2002, there were 48 racing accidents, 1 fatality, and 60 injuries...

I might be going out on a limb here but I think if anything, that's when street racing was at its worst. Right after the first F&F movie came out, everybody and their mom's Corolla were out racing. I don't have any stats or anything but I think it all might've died down some after the first few movies were released. I could be wrong.

jaxbusa

Established Member
However, one study shows between 1998-2001, there where 149,568 traffic deaths. A STAGGERING 315 where related to street racing (0.002%).

One death is too much. In my opinion, these street racing laws are just news and politics. So many great points made about cell phones and I will add our elderly population to the hazardous list. Not that any politician would do anything about the elderly population because most of them vote.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

nxhappy

Established Member
if you disagree with street racing, then you also disagree with speeding. so does that mean you never go over the speed limit to stay "safe" and obey the law?

sdoo500

Established Member
No way to truly justify it as being ok, but I'm one who thinks it's about time and place. The roll racing to well above 120+ on busy highways during the day is completely idiotic and pointless. Racing from light to light, also stupid.

I think that it's something the news talks about because it sounds more interesting and dangerous than all the distracted driving that's going on. There is a decent scene local to me and it's a small group of guys, empty industrial park in the middle of the night. Can things happen and people get hurt? Absolutely. Is it stupid? Yes. But the risks are about as mitigated as they can be for the activity and I have no problem admitting it excites me and I enjoy it. The only people at risk of getting hurt are the guys racing, as well as the few spectators who know what they're watching and the risks.

It's not impossible to get to the track but it is difficult. For me, closest track is two hours without traffic. For me to go up for a street night, have to load up night before, leave work early, a couple hundred in fuel and food and then more often than not, I only get two or three passes in before someone breaks or the track is just busy.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
if you disagree with street racing, then you also disagree with speeding. so does that mean you never go over the speed limit to stay "safe" and obey the law?

Depends on how fast. Lots of roads are safer to travel faster than the speed limit, as the speed limit is supposed to take into account less than perfect conditions, like if its raining out and if there are 30 year old cars that have no business on the road. Plus the general public typically has less than stellar driving abilities. Traffic can safely move 10-15 mph above the speed limit in many areas. 1 or two cars doing 40 mph faster than traffic is not safe.

Especially in town. You try to turn right onto a road when you have to yield to other traffic. Your brain is expecting traffic to be moving reasonably close to the speed limit, not 40 mph above.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
... You try to turn right onto a road when you have to yield to other traffic. Your brain is expecting traffic to be moving reasonably close to the speed limit, not 40 mph above.

And that's why I don't turn right on red if there's any traffic approaching within 100 yards or so. That leaves plenty of space for them to slow down and/or me to match whatever speed they're going (in my GT500.)

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
And that's why I don't turn right on red if there's any traffic approaching within 100 yards or so. That leaves plenty of space for them to slow down and/or me to match whatever speed they're going (in my GT500.)

Which is smart. Not many people have that much patience, even if its only an extra 20 seconds.

2000gt4.6

Established Member
Depends on how fast. Lots of roads are safer to travel faster than the speed limit, as the speed limit is supposed to take into account less than perfect conditions, like if its raining out and if there are 30 year old cars that have no business on the road. Plus the general public typically has less than stellar driving abilities. Traffic can safely move 10-15 mph above the speed limit in many areas. 1 or two cars doing 40 mph faster than traffic is not safe.

Especially in town. You try to turn right onto a road when you have to yield to other traffic. Your brain is expecting traffic to be moving reasonably close to the speed limit, not 40 mph above.

Just so we are clear...There is a reasonable limit to overall speed and how fast you get there, all depending on local conditions and the ability of the drivers in question......so long as another car is not doing the exact same thing right next to it?

Do you not see the hypocrisy of your statement? You cannot justify spirited driving or speeding, both of which kill far far more people (both bystanders and participants) , without justifying street racing as well. The literal only difference is adding an additional car.

Theres a 3-4 mile stretch of road, totally flat and straight, by my childhood home. There's no situation (say broad daylight, 75 degrees with zero traffic) where two cars cannot accelerate side by side....But its ok for one?

I used to own a Yaris for a DD. What if I went there and raced another Yaris? This is inherently more unsafe than someone doing 10 mph over on a twisty road?

Nonsense.

2000gt4.6

Established Member
I'm ROTFLMAO at those of you trying to justify street racing.

U.M.

Just to poke the bear...What is your street car again? You never, ever, accelerate hard or speed in it right? You just spent tons money for track racing and car shows correct?

Also, what's the distance to your local track?

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Just so we are clear...There is a reasonable limit to overall speed and how fast you get there, all depending on local conditions and the ability of the drivers in question......so long as another car is not doing the exact same thing right next to it?

Do you not see the hypocrisy of your statement? You cannot justify spirited driving or speeding, both of which kill far far more people (both bystanders and participants) , without justifying street racing as well. The literal only difference is adding an additional car.

Theres a 3-4 mile stretch of road, totally flat and straight, by my childhood home. There's no situation (say broad daylight, 75 degrees with zero traffic) where two cars cannot accelerate side by side....But its ok for one?

I used to own a Yaris for a DD. What if I went there and raced another Yaris? This is inherently more unsafe than someone doing 10 mph over on a twisty road?

Nonsense.

If you can't see the difference between driving with traffic and racing, I don't know what to tell you.

SUPERVENOM03

Established Member
Are you trying to be funny?

I should have used some punctuation as I was changing thoughts. The intent was to say A. Cars in general are faster today than in years past. B. I would love to open up my mustang on an airstrip.

I was definitely not talking about racing the wife's camry. That would be a truly sad sight to behold. And actually sounds kinda funny in retrospect

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.

Nonsense.

This really isn't a good example.

If the same amount of people street raced, as drove "spiritedly" or above the speed limit, the amount of street racing deaths would be astronomically higher.

That's like saying you have a better chance of dying in a car accident rather than a motorcycle accident, only because annually more people die in car accidents. Even though you are 26x more likely to die on a bike than in a car, because bikes make up such a small percentage of the actual traffic.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
^Agree 100%. The way I see it, the streetracing on roads with other cars present is selfish and moronic. You're endangering innocent drivers simply trying to get to their B, all for your entertainment. However, you race out on hidden roads with no other traffic present, you're basically taking more responsibility and accepting the odds of something going wrong happening to you and no others..
Street racing is stupid no matter where it is done. don't know if you remember or even read about the prince georges street racing crash that killed a bunch of people at 2 am because of a street race but that is proof positive that the who "race where nobody is" argument is bullshit. Indian head highway is a four lane highway that is all but deserted that time of the morning. what they did not count on was a 2nd street race coming down the deserted street.

I will always point and laugh at street racers that wreck their car or get charged with murder for killing someone during their display of stupid

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Lets be honest. Street racing, speeding, using cell while driving, drunk driving, etc, they’re all stupid decisions. They all put yourself and the person by you at risk. Lets not come out clean and say one is safer than the other, all it takes is one small mistake to cause an accident.

To call someone a stupid driver for racing yet that same person speeds is a double standard. We all do one of those things or have at one point. Everyone can be an idiot driver or has been one. With that said, I dont justify street racing either.

Klay

Established Member
This really isn't a good example.

If the same amount of people street raced, as drove "spiritedly" or above the speed limit, the amount of street racing deaths would be astronomically higher.

That's like saying you have a better chance of dying in a car accident rather than a motorcycle accident, only because annually more people die in car accidents. Even though you are 26x more likely to die on a bike than in a car, because bikes make up such a small percentage of the actual traffic.

I would say your analogy doesn't necessarily work either because I would imagine most people who have driven spiritedly, have also street raced at some point.

To the people who say it is absolutely stupid and wrong to ever street race, what's the point of even having fast cars? Or modifying them for that matter? Do all of you live right next to a track?

If people race in a responsible way (little to no traffic), then why do you care? It has already been proven in this thread the amount of people who die from street racing is statistically small compared to all car related deaths. Just like people who die from mass shootings is statistically small.

I don't really street race anymore but I would have no room to tell someone they can't or shouldn't street race given that I have before.

Users who are viewing this thread