Why all the out cry over Street Racing?

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
Maybe I'm just getting old but I have no reason to prove to some other idiot how fast my car is. Not trying to preach because I did do it a handful of times when I was younger, I like taking my car up to some higher speeds late at night on the highway if no one is around. But to have a race with another car or cars on a public street is stupid and pointless.

+1 spot on

Pretty much the same for me when i was younger.

I also think the power in cars these days are a lot different. When i was in younger, 350rwhp had you in the game for sure. 400rwhp was tip top. Digs were 1/8 tops and rolls were maybe to 100 at 2am.

Now i see 30-40mph to 150+. During traffic hours.

I guess i am getting old, but imo its just reckless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SUPERVENOM03

Established Member
Cars in general are far faster today than in years past. My wife drives a 2013 Toyota Camry V6 and it will move. Mid 14 second car according to the mags and averages 28mpg. And this is a 4 door family car. I just wish there was a way to open up the car on a closed course without making a day trip to do it.

Zemedici

Established Member
The guys bitching about street racing should focus their attention to more pressing matters, i.e. Cell phone using while driving related deaths. As Corbic posted those numbers are WAY higher.

I cannot tell you the amount of dimwits I see scrolling through their cancerous Facebook feed while driving down the highway. At least the guys street racing are paying attention to the ****ing road.

SUPERVENOM03

Established Member
The best solution would be more tracks. Or a motorsports club renting an air strip more than once a year. My street racing days are over but I would love to open it up on an air strip. Wannagofast 1/2 mile is in my future

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
The guys bitching about street racing should focus their attention to more pressing matters, i.e. Cell phone using while driving related deaths. As Corbic posted those numbers are WAY higher.

I cannot tell you the amount of dimwits I see scrolling through their cancerous Facebook feed while driving down the highway. At least the guys street racing are paying attention to the ****ing road.

I agree. Cell phone usage, among other strange shit, needs to have stronger penalties. Crazy how many people go 80+ mph on the highway but have to post, "LOL" on FB every 3 seconds.

Racers are, but if someone makes an unexpected merge/turn, do they have time to react?

I do get a kick out of places that close tracks left and right, but then wonder why street racing goes on the uptick.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
But that's true of almost 99% of accidents. Especially getting behind the wheel drunk or deciding to text and Facebook while driving.

Drunk driving is 100% avoidable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely. Drunk driving and distracted driving is more dangerous than street racing. Drunk driving impairs your abilities and studies show distracted driving is just as bad or worse because you no longer have visual inputs when you are texting and you can't even rely on some muscle memory.

There is no excuse for any of it.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
It's the same thing as ant-gun laws and how black people get shot by cops all the time and more often than white people. It's the same as how women man less than men at work.

It fit's their narrative and sells.

I personally dont care to do it because if someone dies, you are screwed. I havent been to the pad in new orleans in over 6 years.

2000gt4.6

Established Member
As long as every one of the hypocrites in here will put every bit as much shame on ANY spirited driving as street racing gets, I'm willing to accept it.

Remember this conversation last time, person who already posted on this thread made the ludicrous statement that spirited driving (at triple digit speed no less) is fine because he can "concentrate on his car rather than worry about the other guy" or some nonsense.

Forget guns, drunk driving etc. By any measurable statistic, pure speed is far more likely to result in an injury not only to yourself but others on the road. It's just as "avoidable" and more likely to injure an innocent bystander that did not willingly participate.

So go ahead and tell me all you guys rocking vettes, cobras and GT500s bought them to drive 55mph at 1/10th throttle every single day, except the twice a year you go to the track. GTFO.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
As long as every one of the hypocrites in here will put every bit as much shame on ANY spirited driving as street racing gets, I'm willing to accept it.

Remember this conversation last time, person who already posted on this thread made the ludicrous statement that spirited driving (at triple digit speed no less) is fine because he can "concentrate on his car rather than worry about the other guy" or some nonsense.

Forget guns, drunk driving etc. By any measurable statistic, pure speed is far more likely to result in an injury not only to yourself but others on the road. It's just as "avoidable" and more likely to injure an innocent bystander that did not willingly participate.

So go ahead and tell me all you guys rocking vettes, cobras and GT500s bought them to drive 55mph at 1/10th throttle every single day, except the twice a year you go to the track. GTFO.

Some of us live near a race track. And a lot of people buy these cars as a status symbol. Not necessarily the gear heads who join these forums, but the general public anyways.

2000gt4.6

Established Member
Some of us live near a race track. And a lot of people buy these cars as a status symbol. Not necessarily the gear heads who join these forums, but the general public anyways.

Oh come on. Your honestly going to make the statement that even a tiny portion of the buying public purchases a GT500, vette, or Camaro etc and drives like grandma mayble on all but a few weekends a year at the track? Literally an insane comment.

Somehow having another person accelerating hard next to you makes it reprehensible, but blasting down a twisty road at 120 MPH is just fine. Dammed near word for word translation from the last thread about this.

Street racing can be incredibly unsafe. I have seen some morons doing things that I thought should result in them going to jail and never, ever getting a license again . But I have thought the same thing at the local gun range, at people not racing but driving fast, and dozens of other risky activities that were done purely for entertainment.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Oh come on. Your honestly going to make the statement that even a tiny portion of the buying public purchases a GT500, vette, or Camaro etc and drives like grandma mayble on all but a few weekends a year at the track? Literally an insane comment.

Somehow having another person accelerating hard next to you makes it reprehensible, but blasting down a twisty road at 120 MPH is just fine. Dammed near word for word translation from the last thread about this.

Street racing can be incredibly unsafe. I have seen some morons doing things that I thought should result in them going to jail and never, ever getting a license again . But I have thought the same thing at the local gun range, at people not racing but driving fast, and dozens of other risky activities that were done purely for entertainment.

I will make that statement, because its true. No one said doing 120 down a road was ok even if you aren't racing anyone.

Edit: I am making that statement because the people who can typically afford the cars are "older" and some don't have the need to race people.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.

I don't really have a dog in this fight, but I heavily disagree. There is a massive difference in street racing through in traffic with another person vs spirited driving by yourself on an empty road. "Spirited" driving on a busy road is also asinine.

I think most people would be far more comfortable with the thought of street racing if it was done only on deserted roads that were blocked off from any innocent drivers. The only concern at that point is when one of the spectators is run over by a car that gets loose and there is no help available for 30 minutes, but you reap what you sow.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
... My wife drives a 2013 Toyota Camry V6 and it will move. Mid 14 second car according to the mags... I just wish there was a way to open up the car on a closed course...

Are you trying to be funny?

Love reading the comments from the 'holier than thou' people. While you're retreating to your safe space, here is some footage from TX2K17.

Some good races. Why do the Supra guys still do 1000+RWHP builds?? All they do is spin until they hit 180+MPH. They're just a bad as GT500s at traction. That 4.5 Whipple'd GT500 had zero traction.

JimCSHO

Established Member
My last encounter with street racers was last week. Three guys, 1 Mustang, 1 Challenger, and a diesel pick up. I had a green light and made my turn. Suddenly these 3 came flying by about a half block later doing what looked like 90. Challenger nearly clipped a car ahead, almost lost it as he changed lanes. And the next light coming up was already yellow and I wasn't sure if they were going to stop.

So several unwilling participants nearly run down by these idiots. Street racers put everyone else on the road in danger. That is why they give drag racers a bad name.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
By all means, go out to some back country road where there are no intersections or people for miles and have at it. The problem is people choose to do it in busy roads with people.

^Agree 100%. The way I see it, the streetracing on roads with other cars present is selfish and moronic. You're endangering innocent drivers simply trying to get to their B, all for your entertainment. However, you race out on hidden roads with no other traffic present, you're basically taking more responsibility and accepting the odds of something going wrong happening to you and no others.

Lets face it. Street racing is an inevitable part of our culture. Competitiveness is part of our nature. You think you could run fast. Cool, I know someone else that says they can run fast. Lets set up a footrace. Or, you think you can box? I know someone else that says they can box. Lets set up a match to see who's better. You take this sense of competitiveness into perspective, throw in some shiney, loud performance cars and it's a wrap, I'm sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread