Why are some of you taking the clutch assist spring out?

dubbsfaris

Shelby SP Region Director
Established Member
I have read all of the threads on how to do it. Im good with that.

My question is WHY? I assume it actually makes the clutch pedal stiffer? Yes?

I am really happy with the clutch feel on my 2014. its a tad more deliberate than the 2008 feels. Its not soft. Its not too hard. Am I in the minority here? I understand that opinions will vary with any control surface of a vehicle/boat/plane/submarine/horse even...but this mod seems pretty prevalent.

If you guys are wanting stiffer pedals, isnt that going to cause fatigue on a long track day or cruise?

Just thought I would ask the why, since the hows have been covered well.:shrug:

Thanks for letting me pick your brains. Id ask on Team Shelby, but it would take me a week to get a response, and it would be from a guy who owns a Shelby Focus, or a troller telling me I spent too much for my gt500.:bash:

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
It's not to make the pedal more stiff. People are trying to make the release more controlled and linear. They don't like the last bit of travel that is being influenced by the spring. I'm with you, I see no need to remove the spring. The clutch feels fine and is certainly much easier/lighter than my SPEC 3+ was on my '03 Cobra.

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
Yea, I think if I'd not have owned a previous GT500 or the other cars I do I'd be 100% fine with it. It is quite different in feel from previous stangs in the feel, being non-linear. And switching from like my Viper to the GT500 is a huge difference, used to be the same on my '11, but on this '14 the Viper clutch feels like a soft sponge by comparison and I always have to adjust myself to each now as I switch cars.

My only concern at this point isn't the street, I think it's fine, but on track the non-linear feel could take thinking effort at times to make sure you're being smooth enough.

stutter

eat me
Established Member
Yeah Im with you guys, my '14 is great right now, and I run the piss out of it. Ive had it at 7000 rpm and shifted fine, and Ive had it up to 181mph.

twawsico

Established Member
Some have had problems with the clutch pedal staying on the floor after a shift at/near redline, and removing the spring has alleviated that problem for several of them.

I took mine out of my '13 because I prefer the linear feel and I find the clutch engagement point to be more predictable. It basically just feels "right". With the spring in, I sometimes felt like I was fishing for the point where it would engage.

If yours feels fine to you, that's awesome. It's pretty easy to remove (and reinstall), so anyone on the fence could just try it and decide which way they prefer.

dubbsfaris

Shelby SP Region Director
Established Member
Thanks for the answers! I can completely relate to the pedal sticking to the floor. My 2011 5.0 did that badly. So bad that when on the track, you would have to actually wedge a toe behind it and kick it back up. Not great when you need to have all your attention keeping your car pointed in the right direction.

I didnt know it was that easy to get back in, so I might just try it in that case.

twawsico

Established Member
Thanks for the answers! I can completely relate to the pedal sticking to the floor. My 2011 5.0 did that badly. So bad that when on the track, you would have to actually wedge a toe behind it and kick it back up. Not great when you need to have all your attention keeping your car pointed in the right direction.

I didnt know it was that easy to get back in, so I might just try it in that case.

I haven't had the pedal stick with the GT500, but my '12 Boss did it sometimes. Frustrating.

I can't vouch for the ease of reinstallation, but I can't see how it would be too hard. I used the video and additional info described in the "Idiot's Guide" thread here on SVTP. The usual "installation is the reverse of removal" steps shouldn't be difficult, IMO. But I'm leaving mine out. :coolman:

C0bra99

Established Member
I found that even pulling into the garage I would sometimes stall it because of the spring. Since I have removed it I can control the clutch better and no more stalls. Yes its a little stiffer but you have more control.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
It's not to make the pedal more stiff. People are trying to make the release more controlled and linear. They don't like the last bit of travel that is being influenced by the spring.

I took mine out of my '13 because I prefer the linear feel and I find the clutch engagement point to be more predictable. It basically just feels "right". With the spring in, I sometimes felt like I was fishing for the point where it would engage.

If yours feels fine to you, that's awesome. It's pretty easy to remove (and reinstall), so anyone on the fence could just try it and decide which way they prefer.

x2 on both of these responses. I have yet to experience the sticking clutch, but I am MUCH happier with the more linear feel of mine MINUS the spring.

Users who are viewing this thread